EJ looked calm and in control..

You're conveniently ignoring that other media types, like Sal Capaccio and Brian Galliford from Buffalo Rumblings have had much different and much more balanced takes on EJ in practice. They've both been good at providing quality reports and highlighting both the good and bad that they've seen from EJ.

The "big" media types from the snooze and D&C seem to be going out of their way to trash EJ, highlight the negatives, and ignore the positives. But then again, thats right up your alley, isnt it?

Yes, I know that others have talked about EJ being okay. I actually expect there to be different takes on him among the media outlets.

At the same time, the so-called "negative" fans have been right far more often than have the "optimistic" group. They're usually gone by November and return around January after the season is over. Isn't that how it typically works? :lol:

Shudder the thought that a team with 9 straight seasons of 7 wins or less need to prove they're better.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that sums up a good deal of the perspective on the board. Comforted by misery.

I am not comforted by misery. I am not even miserable about any of this.

It is just my honest opinion based upon what I have seen and read, that EJ inspires very little confidence, to date.

The ones who are oddly comforted are those that can parse through all of the evidence so far and surmise that EJ is on the way to a successful career.

The truth is that hope remains because he is still young and inexperienced. Other than that, what evidence is there that he is on a good path? All I have heard on the positive side is that it is early. Yippeee! It's early.

EJ has this year to make it. He might. He might not. If he fails, the franchise takes another enormous step backwards. That's hard to do, considering the recent past.

It is just my honest opinion based upon what I have seen and read, that EJ inspires very little confidence, to date.

The ones who are oddly comforted are those that can parse through all of the evidence so far and surmise that EJ is on the way to a successful career.

The truth is that hope remains because he is still young and inexperienced. Other than that, what evidence is there that he is on a good path? All I have heard on the positive side is that it is early. Yippeee! It's early.

EJ has this year to make it. He might. He might not. If he fails, the franchise takes another enormous step backwards. That's hard to do, considering the recent past.

That's a straw man argument.

I think a lot of people look at EJ and think if he can put it together, that he can be successful. There's a conditional there. There's some doubt. He has the tools, but he has yet to fashion anything consistent with them. There were ups - Carolina game, second Jets game, his performance in the ATL game. There were downs, well-documented ones. So, "on the positive side" there is some performance he can build upon. There are clearly some things to learn and fix. I am also encouraged by what I read about the route tree being installed and the work they are putting into this. Work like this means there will be failures along with the positives.

Sincerely, I think the kid has a shot, but he could fail. If he does, I'm not going to come here and crow about it any more than I would about my "prescience" should he turn out to be great.

If we are all Bills fans here, I think we can voice our concerns without acting like he's doomed to fail, or like he's never shown anything to justify belief in his skills.

Couldn't agree more. I'm an FSU/Bills fan, obviously pulling for EJ but i don't see it now like i didn't see it then. I'm no scout ,but your eyes don't lie. He simply inspires little confidence in me, i feel like i felt better about JP. I hope i'm wrong.

Nice photo from Goodwin tonight.

EJ sleeping with the playbook, and in his cleats! He's ready!

zohnp0.jpg

That's definitely a guy I don't want to root for! He's had 10 games and 2 series in a preseason game. That's more than enough time. Get rid of this bum now!!!

That's definitely a guy I don't want to root for! He's had 10 games and 2 series in a preseason game. That's more than enough time. Get rid of this bum now!!!

Good joke. It really gets me laughing. You should post it again and again and again and again and again.

Know what one I liked the most, though? "Spiller is gonna have a monster year in 2013." That one was a real knee slapper.

Good joke. It really gets me laughing. You should post it again and again and again and again and again.

Know what one I liked the most, though? "Spiller is gonna have a monster year in 2013." That one was a real knee slapper.

He very likely would have if he wasn't hurt the entire year. He was one of the top 3-4 backs in the league in 2012. There was no reason to believe he wouldn't have a monster year barring injury, which is what happened. On one ankle he still averaged 4.6 yards a carry.

If you really can't see that Spiller is a very, very good if not great back, you know nothing about football. It's arguable that backs are not that important anymore, and you shouldn't pay them top dollar, and Spiller did not excel until his third year, and he was a poor choice when he was drafted. All of that is arguable. If you cannot see that he is a great running back, it's hard to take anything you say seriously.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

That's a straw man argument.

I think a lot of people look at EJ and think if he can put it together, that he can be successful. There's a conditional there. There's some doubt. He has the tools, but he has yet to fashion anything consistent with them. There were ups - Carolina game, second Jets game, his performance in the ATL game. There were downs, well-documented ones. So, "on the positive side" there is some performance he can build upon. There are clearly some things to learn and fix. I am also encouraged by what I read about the route tree being installed and the work they are putting into this. Work like this means there will be failures along with the positives.

Sincerely, I think the kid has a shot, but he could fail. If he does, I'm not going to come here and crow about it any more than I would about my "prescience" should he turn out to be great.

If we are all Bills fans here, I think we can voice our concerns without acting like he's doomed to fail, or like he's never shown anything to justify belief in his skills.

If he fails, I won't be crowing. I will be pissed, like everyone else. I wasn't angry they drafted him. I had no opinion on him. The only recent drafted Bill that annoyed me was Graham. His hands sucked in college and they still suck.

There's a big difference between rooting and offering opinions. I root for the team and I root for all of the players. I still have concerns about some including EJ. Am I a bad fan? Am I less a fan than you?

There's a big difference between rooting and offering opinions. I root for the team and I root for all of the players. I still have concerns about some including EJ. Am I a bad fan? Am I less a fan than you?

Absolutely not. I think what rankles some of the more optimistic fans is when true fans with legitimate concerns inundate threads with the "hope I'm wrong, but" pessimism towards the team or certain players.

Bottom line (I hope) is that we're all rooting for things to turn around and be successful. There's blind loyalty (not particularly helpful), reasoned optimism (I'm here), reasoned skepticism (also ok), and persistent negativity (also not helpful).

Conversations among fans who fall in the middle two groups are generally civil and productive. Add in those at the extremes, and it becomes a cluster-f@%k.

I would never question EJ's arm strength, character, commitment or mobility; his issues as a QB fall into two categories --- (1) accuracy and (2) instincts. I've said since day one that these are his two issues, and my biggest concern since day one is whether they are coachable (fixable). When I watch tonight, that's all I will focus on -- is he being more consistent with his accuracy and is he becoming more comfortable in pocket and making the right reads and progressions.

I would never question EJ's arm strength, character, commitment or mobility; his issues as a QB fall into two categories --- (1) accuracy and (2) instincts. I've said since day one that these are his two issues, and my biggest concern since day one is whether they are coachable (fixable). When I watch tonight, that's all I will focus on -- is he being more consistent with his accuracy and is he becoming more comfortable in pocket and making the right reads and progressions.

I would never presume to tell anyone how to watch the game, so please don't take my next comment that way (I don't think you would, but I'd rather make it clear up front).

The tough part about watching with this expectation is understanding that the result of the play may not, in fact, indicate that he's made the wrong read or failed to go through progressions. If he's being told to practice throwing to his first read at the back of his drop, then you may see more of what you saw in the HOF game. That's one reason I tried to focus on things that were clearly quantifiable, like (a) getting the ball out quickly, and (b) having the gumption to take shots down the field.

Know what I mean?

Understand completely, and I wasn't being as literal as I posted. Accuracy is biggest issue with me anyway and like you I know it's impossible to completely evaluate a QB without full knowledge of the game plan and the specific route progressions and game expectations. Watching the All-22 helps a lot during season, but in the end, you would ultimately need to be "in the room" to know for sure.

Carolina isn't going to use many (if any) complex defensive schemes tonight. All I'm looking for is EJ to show poise and confidence, and hit on a few downfield throws. Move the chains. Get Sammy involved. I'd be fine with a stat line like 8 for 10, 85 yds...a TD would help. NO INT's, No Sacks, No batted balls! No throws down the sidelines out of bounds..

Carolina isn't going to use many (if any) complex defensive schemes tonight. All I'm looking for is EJ to show poise and confidence, and hit on a few downfield throws. Move the chains. Get Sammy involved. I'd be fine with a stat line like 8 for 10, 85 yds...a TD would help. NO INT's, No Sacks, No batted balls! No throws down the sidelines out of bounds..

I'd like to see all of that. Except, sometimes a throw down the sidelines out of bounds is the best move; so if he does it at the right time, I'd consider that a plus.