EJ looked calm and in control..

I was also glad that EJ played the entire first quarter, and a series in the second. I would have really liked him to play the entire first half, but I wonder if that sack where he got dragged down from behind had anything to do with Marrone pulling him? I cant remember exactly when that sack happened, but it just seemed odd to pull Manuel after 1 series in the second? Why not either the entire first quarter, or the entire first half?

Either way, here's hoping EJ plays 5 or 6 quarters of football over the next 2 games. I know that might seem excessive, but I really like watching him play. Knowing how much he means to this organization, it's crazy to watch him take the field. I'm really trying to change my mindset/perspective when watching him, and try to stop being so pessimistic and negative, and just really support the kid and hope he flourishes. It was genuinely exciting to watch him march down the field so effortlessly on that first drive. I just want to see more of him, and I have a feeling that may be why he's such a polarizing figure to Bills fans. He's so unknown! He comes in and gives us such a small sample size, and then it's off to the bench.17 months after drafting the kid, and I feel like I know about as much about EJ Manuel as I did the morning of the first round of the 2013 NFL draft.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ looked better however there were a couple of things that bugged me. On the 14-yard pass to Watkins, it appeared to my untrained eye that the throw was a second or two late - Watkins broke open against the Cover-2 and was all alone in space for what seemed like an eternity before EJ finally let go of the pass.

There was another play where he took a sack after doing something good - climbing up in the pocket - but it seemed to me he should've gotten the ball out sooner to avoid taking a loss on the play.

Otherwise I was impressed and it definitely was an improvement.

But I'll say it again: the left guard situation remains abysmal. I cannot fathom the idiocy of this regime, taking a raw QB with some injury issues, having no credible backup, and refusing to protect him with an NFL-caliber left guard. It boggles my freakin' mind. These guys are letting their jobs ride on the likes of Colin Brown, Doug Legursky and Chris Williams. None of those clowns can play football.

I think that pass to Watkins was one of the first passes of the game for Manuel and you have to account that there's always some jitters at the beginning of games. Manuel quickly calmed down after that (probably relieved Watkins got his first NFL pass) and actually appeared comfortable the rest of his time in the game.

One thing that Manuel looks to be realizing (through coaching?) is that you have to become comfortable in the pocket, stop trying so hard to be perfect, and you have to take chances if you want to bring your game up to the next level. Manuel was throwing into coverage people! This is a huge step IMO. Bill Parcels once told Phil Simms way back when, "when he's covered he's really open". Meaning that you must take chances in this league or you'll never make it. But you also have to know when the defense has you and take your sack instead of just winging it out there. There are acceptable interceptions where your QB was taking a chance and trusting his receiver and then there's bad interceptions like the one McCown under pressure threw last night to the Jags for the pick six.

I was also glad that EJ played the entire first quarter, and a series in the second. I would have really liked him to play the entire first half, but I wonder if that sack where he got dragged down from behind had anything to do with Marrone pulling him? I cant remember exactly when that sack happened, but it just seemed odd to pull Manuel after 1 series in the second? Why not either the entire first quarter, or the entire first half?

Either way, here's hoping EJ plays 5 or 6 quarters of football over the next 2 games. I know that might seem excessive, but I really like watching him play. Knowing how much he means to this organization, it's crazy to watch him take the field. I'm really trying to change my mindset/perspective when watching him, and try to stop being so pessimistic and negative, and just really support the kid and hope he flourishes. It was genuinely exciting to watch him march down the field so effortlessly on that first drive. I just want to see more of him, and I have a feeling that may be why he's such a polarizing figure to Bills fans. He's so unknown! He comes in and gives us such a small sample size, and then it's off to the bench.17 months after drafting the kid, and I feel like I know about as much about EJ Manuel as I did the morning of the first round of the 2013 NFL draft.

It was the 2nd of 5 pre-season games. Most other teams had their starters play 2 series like EJ did last weekend.

I wholeheartedly agree. I was holding out some hope that Williams might turn it around, or at least be average. So far, he hasn't done a lot of convince me. I would not be at all shocked if Cyril Richardson steals the job by the end of the summer. Urbik and Hairston may not be blowing me away, but yeesh.

Right now, I'm rating our O-line to be our weakest positional group. Hopefully that changes when Glenn gets back.

When Glenn gets back, I put him back at LT, Henderson at RT, and have everyone else compete at OG, except for Woods obviously, and Pears who is the only viable swing tackle candidate.

What's that sound I hear today?

That's thousands of Bills fans backpedaling.

Very similar to all the people who built survival shelters for the end of the Mayan calendar in 2012.

Yes. A lot less talk about batted balls, that's for sure.

I hate to say it, but it's just as silly to go ape**** over EJ looking decent last night as it was to complain about the batted balls last week.

Three more practice games, lots more reps (including a couple of joint practices w/ Pitt this week) = more time to get comfortable. Just get us to Chicago with a confident, healthy EJ who is continuing to improve.

Edited by eball

How can you say " for once"? He played well against the Pats, Panthers, and Jets last year. He's 10 reg.season and 2 preseason games old, give him time.

for once? Smh. Watch any games last year or nah?

Haha are you guys being serious? I can't tell

EJ looked better however there were a couple of things that bugged me. On the 14-yard pass to Watkins, it appeared to my untrained eye that the throw was a second or two late - Watkins broke open against the Cover-2 and was all alone in space for what seemed like an eternity before EJ finally let go of the pass.

I think the play action fake may have been a factor in the timing of it, he began his throwing motion as soon as he completed his drop.

I hate to say it, but it's just as silly to go ape**** over EJ looking decent last night as it was to complain about the batted balls last week.

Three more practice games, lots more reps (including a couple of joint practices w/ Pitt this week) = more time to get comfortable. Just get us to Chicago with a confident, healthy EJ who is continuing to improve.

Just doesn't seem right. They get to wave their pom poms and shout "EJ sucks!" at every PS incompletion. Yet when he does play well, we have to sit on our hands. Oh well, at least he view from the high road is nice.... I guess

EJ was decisive in that first series and his passes were on the mark...Quick passes and not much thinking - snap the ball and throw

Pass to Chandler was a bit leading for a slow player, but was a safe throw and far enough away from the defender.,,not on EJ

Overall, EJ looked good; not like the first game and from the training camp reports this week. He needs to build off of this...

Few other comments:

CJ had a nice run to start the game and a nice gain in the second series. FJ always reads his blocks and makes the cuts he should.

Urbik got jacked up on that 4th and goal. Richardson was badly beaten on the first snap of series 2. The G positions are still a question mark and we need Glenn back; Henderson had his hands full..

Why even have the position of CB/DB anymore - just let the offense score if they throw a pass. WTF the penalties are going to be ridiculous this year...

Haven't had a WR like Williams in a long time...

Am I watching a football game or Cam being a cheerleader - wtf.

Edited by Reed83HOF

I was encouraged by EJ's performance.

I wonder if he was instructed to "just ball" or something like that, mechanics be damned.

I say that bc at least a handful of times I saw ej go thru 2-3 reads and make the right throw, even if it was off his back foot or one of those "arm throws" where he didn't follow thru with his body.

Watkins Williams woods and even hogan showed they can reel in less than perfect throws, they just have to get there. Obviously mw doesn't make that catch if ej checks down, so I'm less worried about a lackadaisical lob than I would be if ej doesn't even try to hit him.

Someone be sure to remind me of that statement around week 4 when those lobs are getting picked and I'm clamoring for frozen ropes over the middle :) #babysteps

he played like he always does. He cannot consistently hit his targets, he is often confused, lacks true leadership and has very little football savvy. He is best a back up to a back up.

Can't hit his targets consistently?

69.2% is pretty consistent for any NFL QB.

Confused? Lacking true leadership?

I'd love to see some specifics on how you think his performance last night supports your silly claims. WTF are you even talking about?

There was enough nibble last night for both camps.

EJ looked good for the plays that were called for him. But it's obvious that the training wheels are still on for him. That still appears to be the strategy - limit the playbook and take as much decision making away from him at this point. The reigns were much looser on Lewis.

I'm still scared of our backup QB situation, neither played well. Panthers announcers were commenting that Webb may not make the team. That should be a serious option for OBD.