EJ looked calm and in control..

In another thread we mentioned the "sky is falling" crowd who were condemning EJ's capabilities and that he has not and will never be a good QB. In that thread we asked how anyone could make that judgement based on his 5/8 of a regular season experience level. Also that he is hurried quite often, especially in camp against our awesome front 7. In addition, the receivers are hardly ever (and not once in the HOF game) getting any separation from their coverage.

Basically a hurried QB and fly paper coverage means a recipe for poor QB passing perfromance.

Last night's game was the first example where EJ had some time to throw AND the receivers were getting some coverage separation. In other words, the sky is not falling- and if it were, it would certainly not be EJ's fault.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it, but it's just as silly to go ape**** over EJ looking decent last night as it was to complain about the batted balls last week.

Three more practice games, lots more reps (including a couple of joint practices w/ Pitt this week) = more time to get comfortable. Just get us to Chicago with a confident, healthy EJ who is continuing to improve.

How the hell is "He played well last night" going apeshit? No one here is claiming he's a guaranteed future success. He had a good showing last night and that's all anyone is saying. Much different than all the "ugh, he's never going to amount to anything, we all know how bad he is by now, etc etc"

Can't hit his targets consistently?

69.2% is pretty consistent for any NFL QB.

Confused? Lacking true leadership?

I'd love to see some specifics on how you think his performance last night supports your silly claims. WTF are you even talking about?

Don't bother, facts and optimism only make you an apologist in these parts.

I've only read the last page of this thread so I can't believe people are busting on EJ after his performance last night. I thought he played very well. Agendas, indeed.

I guarantee that if the Bills ever win a SB w EJ as QB, it will make some on here miserable.

I wholeheartedly agree. I was holding out some hope that Williams might turn it around, or at least be average. So far, he hasn't done a lot of convince me. I would not be at all shocked if Cyril Richardson steals the job by the end of the summer. Urbik and Hairston may not be blowing me away, but yeesh.

Right now, I'm rating our O-line to be our weakest positional group. Hopefully that changes when Glenn gets back.

The bookends were horrible last night. EJ made some nice protection changes, and audibles from the line.

Edited by DirtDart

Don't bother, facts and optimism only make you an apologist in these parts.

I guarantee that if the Bills ever win a SB w EJ as QB, it will make some on here miserable.

He could lead them to the playoffs, be offensive MVP and break records and some would still think he was a back up QB at best and call it a fluke season. It's just too easy for some to find the bad in everything.

I'm still waiting for someone to say they should have lost the game because he wasn't able to convert on those 2 goal line runs (because he's the running back and all). If they didn't miss the PAT they would have won 21-20 (assuming the kicker made the other 2 PAT's).

Edited by The Wiz

Can't hit his targets consistently?

69.2% is pretty consistent for any NFL QB.

Confused? Lacking true leadership?

I'd love to see some specifics on how you think his performance last night supports your silly claims. WTF are you even talking about?

The Slammer has an agenda against EJ.

He could lead them to the playoffs, be offensive MVP and break records and some would still think he was a back up QB at best and call it a fluke season. It's just too easy for some to find the bad in everything.

Yup. It's self seeking egotism, people would rather be right than anything else. I try not to get involved too much with the arguing over EJ, I'd rather sit back and enjoy football. It works both ways though, there are those that will back up EJ no matter what. The difference to me is that the hardcore supporters have a lot of hope(even if it's made them blind to the truth) and the agenda mongers are just angry "I told you so" people. I'm guessing that the "I told you so" crowd were never validated as children and need a hug.

Its even more bothersome that it was known Chris Williams is a below average Guard before they signed him. Hence the question....Why the !@#$ did they sign him?

he doesn't look good so far. My guess is that they think his abilities fit their scheme which is different than that in STL. I believe he played OT in Chi so won't judge that stint the same. I will be interested to see if he looks better once Glenn is back at LT. Seantrel has been decent but still a rookie. Glenn may be able to help more on the left side. Not ideal but whatever gets the job done.

We might see Richardson there or even Cyrus before the season starts. I know Cyrus is a tackle but Greg Robinson is starting out at G in Stl. Might not be a bad idea, both are better at run blocking than pass blocking at this very early stage.

Edited by YoloinOhio

He looked like EJ. Timid, indecisive, no 'It', no belief by his actions or persona that he can win and it permeates to his teammates. Did ANYONE really think we would score with 3 downs inside the 5 yrd line?

Watching the RedZone chl, this years 1st Rd QB's displayed 'IT' in Jax & Minny. Hell, even Butt-Fumble Sanchez showed pocket poise. I blame those radio hacks who hoodwinked Buddy. His comments forced Fitz to steel his resolve and not renegotiate, forcing us into desperation with the draft where no QB picked will likely make it past 5 years in the League.

We have a Dog QB.

Haha you don't see Mods trolling too often!

Either that or you might be one of the more inaccurate viewers of a series of plays in a football game that I've come across in a while.

I'm really trying to change my mindset/perspective when watching him, and try to stop being so pessimistic and negative

..and that's not easy to do.. but it's why you're a Bills fan.. we're by nature a hopeful bunch, i think.

hell, i've been waiting so long to see this team become a team to be reckoned with, that i'm still waiting to party like it's 1999 when they win the big one :D

Funny considering it's the Bears FO that drafted him in the first. It's like us laughing at the Jets for signing Maybin.

(Note- this is not directed at you)

Williams was drafted by a previous Chicago regime- GM Jerry Angelo. Chris Wiliams OL play was one reason that Jay Cutler was always on his back looking at the stars. Angelo could never get the OL staffed well enough to protect Cutler and is one of the reasons he is the former Bears GM.

Yup. It's self seeking egotism, people would rather be right than anything else. I try not to get involved too much with the arguing over EJ, I'd rather sit back and enjoy football. It works both ways though, there are those that will back up EJ no matter what. The difference to me is that the hardcore supporters have a lot of hope(even if it's made them blind to the truth) and the agenda mongers are just angry "I told you so" people. I'm guessing that the "I told you so" crowd were never validated as children and need a hug.

For someone who is so vocal against the "angry people", you seem rather, uh, angry.

Calm down dude.

I have been an EJ critic but would be the first to agree he played well against the Panthers. It's not all black and white and his game has always had some bright spots. Inconsistency is one of his weaknesses, but that results from the fact that some times he does some nice things.

Please don't confuse criticism as hatred of all things b/c the critic is a miserable troll living in a cave and so on.

LOL. Nor are those who are critical of the team in general or a player specifically anxiously looking to see the team/player fail.

For me, it's precisely the opposite. My love of the team and desire to see them succeed is where the criticism is born.

Let's see how EJ does in Game 3.

I think folks like yourself and Dareustein need to realize that this is a FAN site that is unaffiliated with the Buffalo Bills.

If you got hate for your fellow fans then don't come here.

Go to Buffalobills.com message board and tell them how much you have appreciated the quality of football they produce and to keep up the good work.

By frequenting there you support the team and it's employees and not just a bunch of fans who may or may not see things the way you do.

And if someone is criticizing the team there you can tell them how much you hate them and why and at least you will be fulfilling your self prescribed obligation to cheerlead against the criticism of the team.

There is no reason for the personal attacks on fellow fans here whether they share your OPINION or not.

How the hell is "He played well last night" going apeshit? No one here is claiming he's a guaranteed future success. He had a good showing last night and that's all anyone is saying. Much different than all the "ugh, he's never going to amount to anything, we all know how bad he is by now, etc etc"

You do realize I'm always accused of being a homer, right? ;)