EJ looked calm and in control..

It think people would be hard pressed to find a NFL qb with a worse record than Tuel. Not all on him but his record is beyond awful.

You're right about football being a team game, and it is somewhat unfair to put losses on a QB like that when your team sucks. But that is an excruciatingly bad record. In games last year he did stuff to lose them not win them. There are players who just will their teams to wins even when they themselves play ugly.

I harp a little too much on that win loss record of Tuel's when I am criticizing him, but if he doesn't have the real good physical Tuels, he doesn't have extraordinary mental Tuels, and he doesn't have any record whatsoever of overcoming them and his team's deficiencies, what exactly are we basing any future success on? That once in awhile he looks good on a singular pass? Even the passes that first led to all this mindless gushing were not all that good. IIRC, he threw three long passes that were complete and two of them were not really good passes.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right about football being a team game, and it is somewhat unfair to put losses on a QB like that when your team sucks. But that is an excruciatingly bad record. In games last year he did stuff to lose them not win them. There are players who just will their teams to wins even when they themselves play ugly.

I harp a little too much on that win loss record of Tuel's when I am criticizing him, but if he doesn't have the real good physical Tuels, he doesn't have extraordinary mental Tuels, and he doesn't have any record whatsoever of overcoming them and his team's deficiencies, what exactly are we basing any future success on? That once in awhile he looks good on a singular pass? Even the passes that first led to all this mindless gushing were not all that good. IIRC, he threw three long passes that were complete and two of them were not really good passes.

I agree 100% and in college, good Qbs have a lot more impact on the outcome. Good evidence that Losman wasn't going to be a great qb is he didn't exactly light up conference usa.

A good record in college doesn't guarantee anything. But a record like Tuel's is very worrisome.

He hasn't shown me anything that makes me believe he is or could be a starting NFL QB. And his record in college and in the pros is about 4-30 now.

Sorry. I was just trying out being a complete moron to see how it felt to write something that asinine. I didn't mean any of it!!

I agree 100% that Fitz would have been the perfect mentor/ backup. But he wasn't coming back to be a backup. He won't have been happy and it could have been very messy.

Jackson was struggling to pick up the offense. Fun fact, Lewis has a better qb rating than Jackson.

We were down to our 4th string qb last year. No team has a good plan for that. It's hard enough to find a starting qb let alone a good backup.

The roots actually go back to previous Oct/Nov when Nix threw Fitz under the bus. But I don't think that Fitz was slated to be a backup. I think he easily would have won the battle against EJ in last year's camp. The fight was about the paycut, and both sides overplayed their hand and results sucked for both parties.

The roots actually go back to previous Oct/Nov when Nix threw Fitz under the bus. But I don't think that Fitz was slated to be a backup. I think he easily would have won the battle against EJ in last year's camp. The fight was about the paycut, and both sides overplayed their hand and results sucked for both parties.

Who knows but I do think a lot of folks forget EJ had like a 115 qb rating last season. He beat out Kolb, who some people thought was better than Fitz.

But trust me, I would have loved Fitz to be here and for EJ to learn under him. It would have been perfect. But Fitz didn't want to have to compete for a job and take a payout. Can't blame him.

Prediction(s) for the season (if EJ stays healthy)

Record: 9-7 (2nd in AFC East)

Playoffs: lose in WC round to Indy 31-21

EJ Stats: 60% completion, 22TDs 16INTs, 2750 yards

Rushing: Spiller 1150/4

Receiving: Watkins 900/6

Defense: similar to last year except a much better against the run and a little worse in Takeaways and Sacks.

Positive surprise: Aaron Williams picks up slack from Byrd, little drop off. Chris Williams plays great all year.

Negative surprise: Chris Hogan has only 150 yards and 1 TD.

Edited by dubs

I think it's hard to project much based on college record in this case especially - the team was unfathomably bad. Even so, senior year, he willed them to a win in their biggest game, the "Apple Cup" against Washington. The first play of this highlight played a big part, and shows some impressive insticts. And importantly, the ability to reset quickly, allowing accurate delivery under duress, not a rushed delivery.

Somehow he seems to be able to play like his hair is on fire, yet relaxed at the same time, to my eyes. And that is rare, IMO

Edited by Just Nguyen Baby

Majority of people are still in the let’s keep giving him more time camp I see…..

Yeah..I get that…I know that is what the Bills need to do..as hard as it is to keep doing that…..

But I tell ya…..(local weathermen, sports reporters and politicians excluded) …..I can’t think of another person anywhere who gets more accolades and praise for showing up to work and doing a crappy job……

Based on his ratio of good plays vs. bad plays from last year and the very limited amount of this year, so far I am still personally inclined to think the dude is not ready to lead an NFL team to anything but another losing season.

For the life of me I can’t see how a rational person could believe EJ is going to be great…What are you watching that I am not?

I think you EJ supporters are over-analyzing his “potential” and placing too little emphasis on his “play”.

I will believe in his potential when and if he ever starts playing well with even a little consistency.

Man, I getcha. We're all a little harsh sometimes. But please tell me, when an "EJ hater" goes to the game, at what point does he turn that pessimism and criticism off and just cheer for his team? An hour before KO?, 5 minutes? Never?

Methinks it's a more of a personality issue and not one of "fandom" as you say.

I think there's a huge difference for most 'pessimists/realists' between watching the games & venting/talking smack about them on here. As much as I slammed Brain Dead Drew on this board, I never once wanted him to do bad when the game was on.

It's really so simple. If EJ starts looking consistently good, most of the criticism will die down (not all, but most). Until then, the noise is just going to get louder & louder until he either looks the part & turns it around or is gone. As usual, those who don't like the noise better learn to deal with it, because people are going to vent.

I don't know which EJ thread or non-EJ thread that turned into an EJ thread to put this in. But it is a good read.

@RyanTalbotBills: Have I Ever Told You The Story of The Buffalo Bills Quarterback Who Failed to Deliver in Year One? http://t.co/Lsh9hGc7HP via @TheBillsMafia

Please stop. I'm guessing that the author was in kindergarten when Kelly arrived in '86. There should be very little comparison of Kelly's first year to EJ's because the circumstances are so dissimilar.

Please stop. I'm guessing that the author was in kindergarten when Kelly arrived in '86. There should be very little comparison of Kelly's first year to EJ's because the circumstances are so dissimilar.

Can't believe I wasted time trying to read that....

Maybe a political run is in the future for him.

Maybe the comment was facetious.

:wallbash:

Why is it that you take your comments to the extreme.....that is why there cannot be discussion with you.

LOL. What? How much discussion with me have you attempted?

What shall we discuss? You go first. I insist.

I'm not going to read through 13 pages of this board to see if this has been brought up, but Ill say it right here:

Tuel deserves a shot with the starting unit.

He passes the "eye test" for me... he looks good, commands the huddle, throws a crisp pass, and takes some risks. I'd love to see him throwing to sammy and williams, handing to spiller, and getting reps behind our o line.

at some point this training camp, marrone has to make that move, he would not be doing his diligence if he did not. bills fans can continue to bury their head in the sand all the like, but this team is a train wreck at qb, and tuel may be our only hope.

ej 4-6 as a starter last year, and has looked inaccurate all summer. i know i need to be patient, but i fail to see why qb is the only position on the roster that isn't open to competition.

His arm strength is zero. Any serious discussion about the merit's of this guy's play begin and end right there.

Apparently, you weren't watching the Hall of Fame game. Tuel was basically auditioning for his induction in 20 years!

Despite the fact EJ has a better qb rating than Tuel in both the preseason and regular season, Tuel is clearly the better qb. Duh.

"How anyone can make a decision on (insert person here) is beyond me."

"Look at their stats right now, this one is better than this one."

You're a hypocrite.

And that's why it's maddening that Bills went into camp with the exact same QBs they finished the last year with.

And people ask ...who better is out there? Well, today the answer is nofreakinbody.

Haha

Did he pass the eye test against Cleveland and KC last year? Was that inability to move the offense against the Browns "just a top D, just happens." Or was that 99Yd pick 6 just a "hey it happens to the best of them?"

Apparently, you weren't watching the Hall of Fame game. Tuel was basically auditioning for his induction in 20 years!

Despite the fact EJ has a better qb rating than Tuel in both the preseason and regular season, Tuel is clearly the better qb. Duh.

common men, you can lay it on thicker than that. I know that this is preseason but that's some weak ass effort from you two.