EJ looked calm and in control..

I think most posters tend to go to the extremes on the EJ issue. Posters are either foolishly in love with EJ and make excuses for his bad performances at every chance or they have foolishly given up any hope and feel EJ sucks now and will always suck. The reality is that most Bills fans, including me, fall in between.

My hope was that the coaches, GM and FO would do the same. In other words, teach, develop and train EJ, but have a contingency plan in case he doesn't develop or isn't the guy, my fear is that instead of doing that, the HC, GM and FO has taken the approach that EJ is indeed the guy and we'll put all our eggs in his basket. IMO, they are acting the part of those posters that are foolishly in love with EJ and they shouldn't, in other words, where is the Bills contingency plan if EJ isn't the guy ??

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the contrary, most people think he has a very high "football IQ." One of the first compliments generally paid his way is how intelligent he is.

Overall, I see your point, and I think you're dead on with his mechanical inconsistencies. But I think the silver lining is that these can be corrected with good coaching. He had no QB coach his rookie year, so I seriously question how much time he spent going through QB specific drills. One thing I noticed in the game was how quick his back-drop was. Minor, I know. But it leads me to think that some of these mechanical issues were addressed. Lets hope so!!!

I think this is where having a veteran QB like an Orton helps the growth of the young QB. That person is not only a mentor, he also acts effecitively as a QB coach. Many of these veteran QBs are backups because they did not have the arm strength to make it as a starting QB, but they have the cerebral side going. Many of the great QBs have benefited from this.

The reason why everyone has to keep saying that is because of poor planning when there are better QBs available.

For example, most recently, instead of just doing something else with our draft last season, we have to reach and force a QB out of the draft instead of taking another player and either trying to get Manuel in round 2 and allowing us to take a QB in round 1 this season.

Just one example. GMs get paid to have a vision and a plan for rebuilding, but ours never do.

Preaching to the choir brother.

Wait... Mark Sanchez? 3 out of his 4 years as QB in the NFL have been worse than EJ's rookie year. Sanchez's one better year, he only had a QB Rating 1 point higher.

How would Sanchez be an improvement over EJ? I'm asking this seriously.

I didn't say he would, seriously. The post was in regards to what QB(s) to bring in. That's my answer for an off season when there was not much available in the vet QB pool. Could he be better than EJ? Yup. Could EJ be better than Sanchez? Yup. Is EJ better than Lewis? Yup. Could Lewis be better than EJ? Nope. See the difference there?

And QB ratings, to me, should be written on TP. No offense intended there, but, there's one stat that matters (to me) in sports and it isn't QB rating.

I think most posters tend to go to the extremes on the EJ issue. Posters are either foolishly in love with EJ and make excuses for his bad performances at every chance or they have foolishly given up any hope and feel EJ sucks now and will always suck. The reality is that most Bills fans, including me, fall in between.

My hope was that the coaches, GM and FO would do the same. In other words, teach, develop and train EJ, but have a contingency plan in case he doesn't develop or isn't the guy, my fear is that instead of doing that, the HC, GM and FO has taken the approach that EJ is indeed the guy and we'll put all our eggs in his basket. IMO, they are acting the part of those posters that are foolishly in love with EJ and they shouldn't, in other words, where is the Bills contingency plan if EJ isn't the guy ??

How many other teams have a contingency plan though? Granted I do think the Bills should have a veteran on the roster.

Preaching to the choir brother.

I didn't say he would, seriously. The post was in regards to what QB(s) to bring in. That's my answer for an off season when there was not much available in the vet QB pool. Could he be better than EJ? Yup. Could EJ be better than Sanchez? Yup. Is EJ better than Lewis? Yup. Could Lewis be better than EJ? Nope. See the difference there?

I vote for Orton, if he still wants to play.

How many other teams have a contingency plan though? Granted I do think the Bills should have a veteran on the roster.

Jets signing Michael Vick was a great move. To be honest, I liked the Bills move last year when they signed Kolb, even though it didn't work out the way they envisioned, it was a smart move. I would have liked to see the Bills sign or trade for a more proven backup.

I'm guessing the ones who have a winning record over the last 14 seasons.

I will disagree and say it is because they have good/great QB's and not due to a contingency plan . Any of those successful teams QB's goes down and they are in trouble.

I will disagree and say it is because they have good/great QB's and not due to a contingency plan . Any of those successful teams QB's goes down and they are in trouble.

Packers snuck into the playoffs thanks to decent play by a guy Bills didn't think was worthy of suiting up. Very few QBs make it through an entire season, so having a sound contingency plan is an absolute necessity.

Going into a season with a raw 2nd year QB and totally mediocre backups is a recipe for disaster.

Packers snuck into the playoffs thanks to decent play by a guy Bills didn't think was worthy of suiting up. Very few QBs make it through an entire season, so having a sound contingency plan is an absolute necessity.

Going into a season with a raw 2nd year QB and totally mediocre backups is a recipe for disaster.

GB went 2-5-1 with Tolzien, Wallace and Flynn. Most QB's make it through the entire season, that statement is false.

Flynn was released by Seattle, Oakland and Buffalo. Should we also blame Oak and Seattle for not letting Flynn suit up either?

Edited by CountDorkula

LOL -- true, and what's even funnier is that this year's situation is infinitely better than what they did last year (rookie QB and less-than-mediocre backups with no QB coach and no Hostler).

LOL -- true, and what's even funnier is that this year's situation is infinitely better than what they did last year (rookie QB and less-than-mediocre backups with no QB coach and no Hostler).

Well, there's that. Progress has been made.

Listen to us. Swap out Manuel's name for Rob Johnson, Todd Collins, J.P Losman, Trent Edwards and all the other failed Bills QBs since Kelly and it's the same pattern of exchanges: "He sucks," "Be patient," "He really sucks," "It's too early to judge, you're an idiot," "I'm pessimistic," "Yeah, but what about that one lovely throw?" "He's not going to make it," "It's the O-line and receivers, not him," "Give him time." "Another wasted four years," "You're a fool, what about all the other late bloomers," "I was right all along--he sucks," "Yeah, well, good for you, jerk."

I think we've forgotten what it's like to have a first-rate quarterback on the team. There was a lot of trash about Bledsoe and Flutie, but there was also big time excitement about them (and Kelly at his worst) that never came out with these others--or with Manuel. Be honest--have you ever been really, deep down excited about Manuel? Intellectually, we know he will continue to develop and may--who knows?-- be quite good in the end. Viscerally, we know better. We know what is going to happen.

You said all the equivalent stuff about CJ Spiller for two years, too. Said all the equivalent stuff about Aaron Williams, too. Said all the equivalent stuff about Leodis McKelvin, too. Colt fans and most Bills fans said all the equivalent stuff about Jerry Hughes, too.

And yeah, you can say it's different with quarterbacks because you can just tell. Well you can't.

Granted, 95% of all players who look like they suck do indeed suck and continue to suck. Most of them don't have the talent in the first place. And at least 50% of the players with a lot of talent who look like they suck continue to suck.

You need more time to evaluate EJ.

Just one example. GMs get paid to have a vision and a plan for rebuilding, but ours never do.

Which begs the question, who's hiring all the failed GM's at OBD? And are those people held responsible? Because making decisions out of desperation is not a "vision" for success, yet that's what the Bills have done with their 1st round picks in 2013 and 2014.

If Manuel doesn't succeed in 2014 I think a new owner needs to clean house. That is, if the bidding on the team gets finished anytime soon. Only time will tell.

I'm glad you acknowledge that. Despite the mess at QB last year the team won 6 games. There is hope.

Things I've been saying for months (years).

FOr this season specifically...I have hope that EJ gets where we want him to be. I have hope that the increased depth on the team makes them competitive. I have hope that the strongest running game (O-line...this one's on your shoulders) in the NFL takes the burden off of EJ's shoulders and allows him to throw when he (Hackett) wants to, not when he has to. I am encouraged (only 2 series, I know) by the first team defense's performance. They must be the strength of the team in 2014.

I am breathing...I have hope!