EJ looked calm and in control..

Except that I dont know that it is a fair statement......

What QB should we have brought in to provide that competition?

Kevin Kolb was a veteran QB who when healthy showed that he could run a offense....at one time he was HIGHLY thought of. They brought him in and they drafted Manuel. Kolb gets hurt and that was the way it went.

This year? Who do we bring in that would have been a better option then continuing on with EJ' Manuel's development?

Last year...Smith, hands down no question about it. The Bills nibbled and they lost out. Smith was the guy that they wanted but they let the Chiefs beat them.

This offseason? Sanchez & the draft.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering how little preseason work EJ got last season, I was kinda surprised to see him get only 7 attempts this game.

Eli only had 7 attempts also, so it makes me wonder if the teams had something arranged as to how much time each unit would play. so as to not allow one unit to look horrendous against the other.

Anyway. EJ needs more then 7 attempts per preseason game or he won't be ready in September. JMO

Sorry. I was just trying out being a complete moron

you really don't need to practice

<edit>This post is in jest.

It is true that Googny doesn't need practice at moronic activity but he's aware of this in his own way. No morons were harmed in the creation of this post or its edited version. If any moron (other than Gugny) has taken or takes offense to this post or its edited version then I refer them to my Council of Record: DC Tom, Mr. Ags & Boyst, Attorneys at Lawless.

Edited by Beerball

Except that I dont know that it is a fair statement......

What QB should we have brought in to provide that competition?

Kevin Kolb was a veteran QB who when healthy showed that he could run a offense....at one time he was HIGHLY thought of. They brought him in and they drafted Manuel. Kolb gets hurt and that was the way it went.

This year? Who do we bring in that would have been a better option then continuing on with EJ' Manuel's development?

Kevin Kolb did nothing in his career other than prove he was a good garbage time QB who had a lucky game or two.

Alex Smith should have been brought in only if they didn't plan on drafting a first round QB. Which they did.

You don't bring someone in for competition when you draft a QB in the first round - especially when you don't have anyone else. Let EJ develop on his own. In this money-hungry league, no veteran wants to be a mentor; they want you to get hurt so they can come in a try to prove they're better. A rookie QB doesn't need that and the Bills did the right thing by not inviting that scenario.

We should have learned this from that little schmuck Flutie coming here and !@#$ing everything up.

:cry:

:lol:

On second thought about EJ only getting 7 attempts. The O line currently has some issues and I get that until those issues are solved the coaches don't want EJ fed to the wolves. Still, EJ needs more playing time then 2 series.

How has this thread reached 16 pages?

EJ needs more time. He has time to get that time. If he'd have played more we'd al be on Marrone. He's an NFL QB, was treated like one and needs to get more regular season time under his belt for ANY of us to evaluate him.

Can't we just accept he's our guy until he's not?

Just like in Canton, EJ never got going

- EJ Manuel’s day in Canton was overblown by some, but his performance on Tuesday did not inspire much confidence for his first time back on the field since. During the team’s first preseason game Manuel never really got into the flow of the game and ended up with his now well-known and, well, poor stat line. As noted by WGR following the contest, Manuel’s decisiveness during the game was one of his strong points, regardless of how the plays turned out. That all but vanished on Tuesday outside a handful of instances, often times waiting too long for his read to come open.

Edited by Beerball

Give EJ a little incentive,,,

Start Tuel with the 1's vs. Carolina!

Tired of all this coddling and grooming.. Let the best player win, already!

Definitely he should not be coddled, but going to an opposite extreme and playing mind games on him does not sound like it would build team confidence in his play. AS long as Merrone plans to play in regular season give him as many snaps as possible. Benching him is a bad idea.

Just like in Canton, EJ never got going

- EJ Manuel’s day in Canton was overblown by some, but his performance on Tuesday did not inspire much confidence for his first time back on the field since. During the team’s first preseason game Manuel never really got into the flow of the game and ended up with his now well-known and, well, poor stat line. As noted by WGR following the contest, Manuel’s decisiveness during the game was one of his strong points, regardless of how the plays turned out. That all but vanished on Tuesday outside a handful of instances, often times waiting too long for his read to come open. One of his biggest enemies has been standing back for too long and patting the ball, eventually settling for either the dump-off option or for a quarterback scramble. It’s borderline inexcusable to tuck the ball and run during a 7-on-7 drill where there is no pass rush, which is what Manuel has done on many occasions. The shots down the field on go routes are worked into the game plan and he’s taught to take the shot if there is single coverage. Outside of that, though, he needs to get out of his comfort zone and fit the ball into tight windows, or else he’ll just continue to settle for the small stuff. Teams will figure that out quite quickly.

My friend was at Tues's practice and said EJ was horrible!

And people ask ...who better is out there? Well, today the answer is nofreakinbody.

The reason why everyone has to keep saying that is because of poor planning when there are better QBs available.

For example, most recently, instead of just doing something else with our draft last season, we have to reach and force a QB out of the draft instead of taking another player and either trying to get Manuel in round 2 and allowing us to take a QB in round 1 this season.

Just one example. GMs get paid to have a vision and a plan for rebuilding, but ours never do.

Listen to us. Swap out Manuel's name for Rob Johnson, Todd Collins, J.P Losman, Trent Edwards and all the other failed Bills QBs since Kelly and it's the same pattern of exchanges: "He sucks," "Be patient," "He really sucks," "It's too early to judge, you're an idiot," "I'm pessimistic," "Yeah, but what about that one lovely throw?" "He's not going to make it," "It's the O-line and receivers, not him," "Give him time." "Another wasted four years," "You're a fool, what about all the other late bloomers," "I was right all along--he sucks," "Yeah, well, good for you, jerk."

I think we've forgotten what it's like to have a first-rate quarterback on the team. There was a lot of trash about Bledsoe and Flutie, but there was also big time excitement about them (and Kelly at his worst) that never came out with these others--or with Manuel. Be honest--have you ever been really, deep down excited about Manuel? Intellectually, we know he will continue to develop and may--who knows?-- be quite good in the end. Viscerally, we know better. We know what is going to happen.

Listen to us. Swap out Manuel's name for Rob Johnson, Todd Collins, J.P Losman, Trent Edwards and all the other failed Bills QBs since Kelly and it's the same pattern of exchanges: "He sucks," "Be patient," "He really sucks," "It's too early to judge, you're an idiot," "I'm pessimistic," "Yeah, but what about that one lovely throw?" "He's not going to make it," "It's the O-line and receivers, not him," "Give him time." "Another wasted four years," "You're a fool, what about all the other late bloomers," "I was right all along--he sucks," "Yeah, well, good for you, jerk."

I think we've forgotten what it's like to have a first-rate quarterback on the team. There was a lot of trash about Bledsoe and Flutie, but there was also big time excitement about them (and Kelly at his worst) that never came out with these others--or with Manuel. Be honest--have you ever been really, deep down excited about Manuel? Intellectually, we know he will continue to develop and may--who knows?-- be quite good in the end. Viscerally, we know better. We know what is going to happen.

Who are you calling we, Kimosabe?

Great post!

This is it in a nutshell.

We all love the Bills and want them to win. We know they need a real QB to do that. We all want to see a new Jim Kelly--a player with skill, a fighter, and a born leader.

When a young athlete has "it" in any sport, you know it. And it is obvious to everyone, including grandma who doesn't follow sports. EJ isn't that guy and lots of good intentions or well crafted debate in his support is not going to change that.

As an aside, the front office and Marrone have foolishly hitched their wagon to EJ. They have placed all their eggs in his basket, and done a poor job at planning for an EJ failure contingency at QB.

That, combined with new ownership probably in the form of Pegula, will seal their fate.

For all you Marrone haters out there (I'm not one of them) hang in there. This iteration of Bills management and coaching will be gone soon enough when the EJ Project is declared a failure.

Pegula has learned his lesson with the Sabres in terms of maintaining the status quo under his ownership. That didn't work. He won't make the same mistake twice. This whole crew will be gone (Brandon may remain in a pure marketing position; he's good at that) and hopefully we can then start to forget the last 15 years or so.

This offseason? Sanchez & the draft.

Wait... Mark Sanchez? 3 out of his 4 years as QB in the NFL have been worse than EJ's rookie year. Sanchez's one better year, he only had a QB Rating 1 point higher.

How would Sanchez be an improvement over EJ? I'm asking this seriously.

How has this thread reached 16 pages?

EJ needs more time. He has time to get that time. If he'd have played more we'd al be on Marrone. He's an NFL QB, was treated like one and needs to get more regular season time under his belt for ANY of us to evaluate him.

Can't we just accept he's our guy until he's not?

EJ will certainly get more time to develop. He's going to get lots of it because this current regime will sink or swim with EJ's success.

I disagree that we would have all been over Marrone if EJ had more snaps in the HOF Game. I think most feel he needed more work. Maybe the whole first half even.

I also disagree that EJ's entire body of work is insufficient for evaluation. That is obviously debatable and I can see the other side to that argument though.

Lastly, he is definitely "our guy" in terms of the starting QB for this team, at the moment. No other QB currently on this roster has any future whatsoever with the Bills beyond the imminent ownership change in any event.

It's EJ or bust, and he will definitely get his opportunity to prove he can do it.

Thanks! And a good day to you sir!

Edited by Beerball

Great post. I agree with this. My homer QB blinders came off for good after the Trent Edwards debacle. The Bills seem to not only be able to draft top QB talent. Even worse they do not know,as hard as they do try, to develop QB talent. It appears evident yet again.

Coming into the season with the same 3 unseasoned QB's is proof. has anyone to date except the rare good play and of course his now certified masterpiece the Carolina game of 2013 seen anything thay says EJ will become not only a passable QB but one who can go deep into the playoffs and be a force? For me and the people I watch games with it is an unanimous no. So keeping fingers crossed he can go all 16 games. next offseasons mantra is already written. It will be he only has 26 games under his belt. But, new ownership may be the best thing to clear this mess up.

This is my opinion so lighten up on the inevitable personal attack. Like everyone I am waiting to see the kid go out and kick butt. It may never happen. lets hope Watkins is a patient kid, it may be awhile.

Great post. I agree with this. My homer QB blinders came off for good after the Trent Edwards debacle. The Bills seem to not only be able to draft top QB talent. Even worse they do not know,as hard as they do try, to develop QB talent. It appears evident yet again.

Coming into the season with the same 3 unseasoned QB's is proof. has anyone to date except the rare good play and of course his now certified masterpiece the Carolina game of 2013 seen anything thay says EJ will become not only a passable QB but one who can go deep into the playoffs and be a force? For me and the people I watch games with it is an unanimous no. So keeping fingers crossed he can go all 16 games. next offseasons mantra is already written. It will be he only has 26 games under his belt. But, new ownership may be the best thing to clear this mess up.

This is my opinion so lighten up on the inevitable personal attack. Like everyone I am waiting to see the kid go out and kick butt. It may never happen. lets hope Watkins is a patient kid, it may be awhile.

How does Trent Edwards in anyway relate to the success of EJ Manuel. Please enlighten me. This aught to be good...

EJ will certainly get more time to develop. He's going to get lots of it because this current regime will sink or swim with EJ's success.

I disagree that we would have all been over Marrone if EJ had more snaps in the HOF Game. I think most feel he needed more work. Maybe the whole first half even.

I also disagree that EJ's entire body of work is insufficient for evaluation. That is obviously debatable and I can see the other side to that argument though.

Lastly, he is definitely "our guy" in terms of the starting QB for this team, at the moment. No other QB currently on this roster has any future whatsoever with the Bills beyond the imminent ownership change in any event.

It's EJ or bust, and he will definitely get his opportunity to prove he can do it.

Thanks! And a good day to you sir!

The point that I think gets lost with the shortened appearance in the HOF game--one that I've tried to make a few times, but it gets lost in such a long thread--is that the team only has/had 4 days rest before another game against a very physical opponent in Carolina. With 5 preseason games, it makes sense to me to keep it brief and make sure the starters aren't getting that much contact in that short a time period.

My only issue is when the folks that want to be patient with EJ and see what he can do over the course of this season get called "homers" or any other names. I'm not biased, stupid, or naive. I'm simply open to the situation. He's a young QB with loads of physical ability, and I want to see if he can put it together at some point during the next 16 regular season games. I can virtually guarantee you that nobody has "next offseasons mantra" written except for those that are (a) convinced that EJ will flop, and also (b) convinced that both the coaches and fans will be content to excuse it based on miscellaneous contributing factors.

I don't fall in either category, and I don't think most fans do either.

How does Trent Edwards in anyway relate to the success of EJ Manuel. Please enlighten me. This aught to be good...

Where did I say it did? i said for me buying onto QB's drafted by the bIlls post Edwards failure is not an option for me.

the bIlls suck at evaluating QB's and Buddy Nix has his stamp on the past two starters. Including the reach that is EJ.

That aught to keep ya thinkin for awhile. maybe even enlightening!