Astro-Notes, Thursday July 31

Bills began practice early, or late, depending on the way you look at it. It was supposed to be 8:00am, they changed it to 2 p.m., then started at about 1:10 due to impending thunderclouds. The Bills ran practice until 3:10 (early, and a cheer from the team signaled they were happy about that).

Positional Drills again was an 8-ring circus, extremely well-planned compared to past staffs. I watched LBers do the trash can drill first. Spikes was taking a pronounced leadership role, at one point having each LB hit him from an up position. He hit the shoulder pads of Rivers repeatedly at one point, almost exorting him to psych up. Bradham looked like he had messed up at one point, but maybe he was stoned (bad joke).

Dixon had the Ones for a bit in the next session first and goal (but from the 25), and he had trouble with the snap, juggled it, threw high (yet again). I saw Dixon complete one NFL pass today, but that was his record in the 3 times I've seen him. He's the quintessential Camp Arm.

The Real QBs were with the WRs, actually. EJ completed long passes to Chris Summers (remember the name--practice squad), Mike Williams, and threw an incompletion to Tori Gurley (also having a good camp and the other possible WR--he's built well, a la Easley or Da'Rick, less seasoned than either of them).

Tuel had a real sweet pass to Namaan Roosevelt, who had executed a perfect curl to catch it, then darted off diagonally acorss the field. It would have been a long gain. They're probably still trying to dig Brooks out of the turf where he was deked.

EJ came back in and Sammy actually dropped the ball. Film at 11:00. It was an out route. Not to be outdone, Gragg dropped the next one, and Nickell Robey INT-ed the next one. Bad series for the rookie.

The next time EJ came in, though, he was money He connected with Mike Williams who'd run a "buttonhook and go", Mike Williams again on a slant, and then threw catchable balls to Tori Gurley (did you remember the name?) who plucked it away from the defender, then hit Hogan down the middle. After a bad pass to Namaan Roosevelt, EJ hooked up with Caleb Holley for a 35-yarder, again a Practice Squad hopeful.

Tuel returned, and his throw to Marquise Goodwin was probably on the money but Marquise couldn't extricate himself from the coverage down the sideline. TJ Graham made a nice Roscoe-like catch (he's running with the Twos), and Chris Summers (remember the name--practice squad) made another nice catch. Tuel finished off with another one to Tori Gurley. Of the three potential PS WR's I like Summers-Gurley-Holley, in that order, but Summers is the likely PS guy. He's 6-5, 215 with a frame to add more. Gurley is bulkier, 6-4, 230 on the roster, so he could stick too. Holley is 6-2, 200.

Lewis got his turn (likely as the Three QB). He hesitated too long, threw too far in front, and had an INT on three of his opportutnities. Kevin Elliott had a nice catch vs Ron Brooks who had good coverage on the play. It was part Lewis, part Elliott. I had given up on Elliott last time I went to camp, but this showed me something.

EJ returned and threw a sweet pass to Easley, who looks smooth as silk out there. He caught it in stride for a ~25 yard play. The next pass out of EJ's hands was PLAY OF THE DAY #1. Sammy caught a deep fly pattern down the left sideline for a TD and got the crowd ooh-ing and ahhh-ing. That was what they had come to witness.

For the rest of 11 on 11, I paid close attention to the linemen and line play. RT was Erik Pears, and he looks like he's renewed his lease on this wagon train. RG was the steady yet unspectacular Urbik, C is of course Erik wood, and Cyril Richardson and Seantrel Henderson shared the Blind Side. This is causing consternation, but both are blocking well. Cyril Richardson is getting "it", and (although I didn't see or notice Hughes out there today), he's holding his own against the Ones in pass coverage, and absolutely walling off in run coverage. RT Two was Cyrus Kouandjio, and Urbik's replacement was #63, Jared Wheeler. Wheeler was a Panther Center and there's no room for him (Khalil, Folkerts, Matthews), so the Bills claimed him. Wheeler has also played RG and LG in the NFL (3 games each, I think--somebody check that). His viability will depend on his versatility. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner goes to Cyril Richardson, with honorable drumstick to PeEars. Really.

Kick Returns were shared by Watkins, Goodwin, Graham with blocking by Anthony Dixon. Kudos for effort go to Fred Jackson, our latest re-up, and Chris Gragg (block) and Spikes (pursuit). I love that Spikes covered the width of the field to get in on the action. Losers: Mario Butler, you engaged your man with your body and eye contact, but by doing so you missed the kick returner.

Dennis Dixon, Camp Arm, threw his completion today to Chris Summers, PLAY OF THE DAY #2. It was a 40 yard bomb down the sideline. Summers finished with a catch over the middle for 12 yards.

EJ comes in and throws to Seven Eleven Hogan, and with a guy drped all over him, Hogan makes the catch. I'm ready to say he's the slot guy who'll often be with the Ones, as Watkins looked great out wide. Watkins was gummed up over the middle at one point, making me wonder whether Hogan (220 lbs) with more beef might help inside.

Now at OG, Antoine McClain doesn't keep his base under him, and lunges at times. He's big enough to use his base more than his arms to fend off. Hogan comes back into the WR rotation and catches one right above Robey. Lack of height didn't serve Nickell well, but Hogan is showing he not only belongs on this team, but is either the #3 WR or the #4. I think with his experience, Mike Williams is the #1, with Sammy a #2 working on being the #1A.

Unga is playing now, and I see him as our #9 or #10 OL, which is the pivot spot as I see us keeping 9. He doesn't have the push of Cyril or Antoine as a Guard, but he plays within himself.

Manny Lawson is on one knee in the middle of the field, I think he's gassed. Maybe someone can tell me what they said about Hughes. Maybe Manny had to play too much today?

Field Goal kicker Carpenter is money. After watching him kick several through the uprights, they ended that segment early. Next, in kickoff practice, Hopkins kicked the ball to East Rochester. SJF put in a track and field track with the football field inside, and around the outside of the track is an iron fence. Hopkins hit the fence once and bounced it out over the fence on successive tries. Your "top gunners" looked like Easley, Goodwin, Graham, Aaron Williams; then Brooks, Woods, and Namaan Roosevelt. The Special Teams Coach Danny Crossman was being very articulate and definite about what he wanted out there.

EJ had three more chances. His deep pass for Watkins went over his head, but I'd fault contact that wasn't called on the rookie (could happen this year). Some trouble by the rookies Henderson and Richardson holding out the pressure on the next play, a run play for Fred Jackson. Finally, Watkins showed again that slot receiver may not be his place, as he got gummed up in traffic and was late to his spot. On EJ's second series, he connected with Hogan again on a deep pattern, Woods on a trailing pattern that Hogan cleared out, and handed off. Cyril Richardson threw the best block to spring him. Kudos also here to Pears on a good series. The thrid series had the same OL as we'll likely see Sunday at 8. Here I noticed Seantrel the most. He gave an extra push in pass protection that assured that the DE wouldn't get to EJ. EJ made a low pass over the middle to Fred Jackson that Freddy dove for and caught, my PLAY OF THE DAY #3.

Observations:

1. It's Mike Williams, Sammy Watkins, Chris Hogan, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Marcus Easley for me. Next would be Summers and Tori Gurley, Practice Squad. No to Namaan Roosevelt, TJ Graham, Kevin Elliott, and Caleb Holley.

2. Tuel has supplanted Lewis as our Two. However, Lewis had a decent throwing day, putting some control on his passes, especially one late to Easley and Caleb Holley.

3. Watkins should be our wideout not our slot.

4. EJ is calmer in the pocket, going through progressions. Better than even a week ago.

5. Spikes has taken command of the LBs.

6. Ty Powell had a pick late in practice and ran it the entire length of the field. I like that. I hope he sticks around...PS?

7. Randell Johnson stands out. He looks like a football player. Can he play like on on Sunday?

8. Where was Hughes? Why wasn't I notified? If he was there, why was he invisible?

Love to All, especially those from out of town or out of the country. Go Bills!

Your devopted draft droid,

Astro

Edited by Astrobot

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice notes Astro!

I know hope springs eternal in Western NY during July and August, but I can't help but think that things will be a bit different this year. The quality of players that they have is head and shoulders above what's been here in the recent and not-so-recent past. This season could be a real blast. Looking forward to that first kickoff which is... this Sunday!

Cheers!

These make my day. And my week. And my month.

You didnt say anything about the Defensive front 7 (other than Spikes in drills and on ST). Did they get any work in? Can you tell a big difference between Pettine and the Shwartz w/r/t the fronts, looks, stunts, blitzes, etc?

I always love reading our notes, Astro. Thanks!

By the way, it's Thursday, not Friday like you have in the title.

Brain Fart. Anybody know how to change a post's title?

Edited by BuffaloBill
Done

Great stuff Astro. It's good to hear the EJ has been making continual progress and looks much better since last week. While I try to take camp reports with a grain of salt, his ability to look at the defense and go through progressions sounds about where he finished last year at the very least, and he still has another month of practices to bring it together.

I really do think that you're right about Sammy being an outside guy and outside guy only. I personally fall into the camp where I want my slot guys to be speedy, route running machines. Sammy's biggest knock is his route running skills, since his natural talent made precise routes unnecessary. Personally, I see Sammy and Woods on the outside in standard formations, with Mike Williams or Goodwin rotated to the outside in 3 WR set (depending on the situation) while Woods moves to the slot. In 4 WR, I see Sammy and Williams on the outside, with Woods and Goodwin in the slot.