Astro-Notes, Thursday July 31

I was there last Saturday. Spikes was doing the same type of things with the LBs. Seems to have taken the dominant leadership role out there. He also looked fast and fluid which I was not expecting. I did not feel the same about Preston Brown who looked smaller than I thought he would be and slower/not fluid. Randall Johnson is a beast. Looks like the size of a DT but ripped and fast.

Good to hear EJ is slowing down. Get back in the swing of things. Go Bills!

Great write up Astro! Much appreciated.

I love hearing Spikes is embracing a leadership role here. He was a major force in that position in Florida & took great pride in it. I know he has done some knucklehead stuff but maybe what went down in NE last season was a wake-up call to him. For anyone that doesn't know, BB put him on the IR for the playoffs even though Spikes claims he was ready to play. Pretty much said BB abused the injury reporting system and used it as a way to punish Spikes. I also suspect that BB did not want Spikes taking a big leadership role on the defense.

This defense has been dying for a vocal leader like Spikes that can really motivate the guys during practice and game days. He is such an intense, physical, and aggressive player, that he will command respect from his fellow teammates- which is the first step of becoming a leader. If Spikes can impart even a fraction of his intensity to some of the younger kids, this defense will take a big step forward & be on the pinnacle of greatness. Once they get a handle on stopping the run and forcing teams into more obvious passing situations, our pro-bowl defensive line can really feast.

Edited by smapdi

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic notes! Loved reading that with my lunchtime cup of tea. Almost felt like being stood at the side of the field they were that detailed. Top, top job.

Was thinking you're having an early lunch until I looked at the user name!