Peterson contract

Gillmore has a ways to go before he's in the category of Peterson. That guy is my favorite corner in the league. He plays inside, outside, can shut down just about any WR, returns, has a pass catch for a touchdown as a WR, and so on. I think he also threw a pass on one trick play.

I'm just waiting for him to kick a field goal.

The average is the same as Sherman's deal.

From what I can tell, the guaranteed money isn't even close though.

Peterson gets 8 million more guaranteed over five years. That's a pretty good jump. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000347352/article/richard-sherman-seahawks-strike-56m-extension

Gillmore has a ways to go before he's in the category of Peterson. That guy is my favorite corner in the league. He plays inside, outside, can shut down just about any WR, returns, has a pass catch for a touchdown as a WR, and so on. I think he also threw a pass on one trick play.

Fully agree with respect to Gilmore. He's promising but I'm not suggesting he's 'there' yet.

Agree: Peterson is the best all around corner in the league.

Agree: Gilmore is not even close to as good as Peterson is (and I don't believe he ever will be, even though he could be very good).

Disagree: Best player in 2011 draft. A ton of excellent players in that draft. Any of the top 7, Watt, Quinn, Sherman, Cameron Jordan. That draft was stacked with top tier talent. Maybe though.

Heck - he's the only one to be able to tame the honey badger so far too.

Hes exceeded Arizonas highest hopes so far.

Agree: Peterson is the best all around corner in the league.Agree: Gilmore is not even close to as good as Peterson is (and I don't believe he ever will be, even though he could be very good).Disagree: Best player in 2011 draft. A ton of excellent players in that draft. Any of the top 7, Watt, Quinn, Sherman, Cameron Jordan. That draft was stacked with top tier talent. Maybe though.
I think Peterson is over rated by many on this board. He's a great athlete, but he gets burned as often as he makes plays. The difference between him and the truly elite like Revis, Talib, and yes, Sherman, is that they do shut down the opposing best receiver. Peterson is just as likely to give up a big play by overreacting to a setup move. Check the stats. He's NOT a shutdown corner. He does make some spectacular plays but good QBs are not afraid to go after him, maybe one of the reasons he sees more passes come his way than the truly elite. The one advantage he offers is his ability in the return game. I'd venture in 3 years, Gilmore will be closer to Revis than Peterson. Edited by Lothar

Agree: Peterson is the best all around corner in the league.

Agree: Gilmore is not even close to as good as Peterson is (and I don't believe he ever will be, even though he could be very good).

Whoah whoah, pump the brakes here a minute! Peterson is definitely NOT the best all-around corner in the league. He isn't even top-5, unless "all-around" means including his punt returns.

Peterson may be among the best all-around athletes in the NFL, but he is an above-average cover corner at this stage of his career. He's highly overvalued due to his punt return skills and his ability to take an INT to the house, but at actual CB skills- he is NOT elite.

The NFL has said they are going cracking down on defensive holding and interference. Two things will be interesting to see 1. Will the NFL stick with it or call a ton early in the year then relax 2. How this will effect the top notch DBs, Revis, Sherman, Peterson ect.. Gilmore has the talent to be a top DB but, IMO is not put a season together that would justify that label.

Ah, yes---fewer wastes of money in the NFL rival huge CB contracts. GM's just can't help making the same errors over and over...

Remember these guys? Clements, Asomugha, Revis...

Clements: 22 million guaranteed, cut him 4 years later. Cincy picked him up for a guaranteed 6 million

Minimum cost for this aging, slightly above average CB: 28 million.

Asomugha: 28.5 million guaranteed over 2 years by the Raiders (who agreed to pay him the "same as a top QB"--16.9 million-- if he was still around for the 3rd year (he wasn't, of course). 25 million guarantee from Philly for 5 year contract (he lasted 2). 1.35 million guaranteed from 49ers.

Minimum cost for this not so great CB after all: 55 million guaranteed (53.5 over only 4 seasons!)

Revis: 32 million guaranteed/4 years from Jets. He played 2 seasons, went on IR the 3rd and was traded (Jets got a 1st and a 4th!). Tampa paid him 16 million for a single season and then dumped him for nothing. Next signed to pats for at least 12 million.

Minimum cost for this indispensible shut down corner: 6o million in guaranteed alone over over 5 years.

What else does each have in common? Each was quickly traded or released (more than once for 2 of them) when their GMs realized what a bad idea it was to pay CBs so much money and tried unsucessfully to get them to renegotiate their deals.

Luckily Gilmore isn't that good of a CB to tempt Whaley into making the same error.

Peterson will go down as the best player from the 2011 draft.

I'd go with Watt personally but I love Peterson's game. AJ Green and Robert Quinn could be in the discussion as well.

Best player in 2011 draft. A ton of excellent players in that draft. Any of the top 7, Watt, Quinn, Sherman, Cameron Jordan. That draft was stacked with top tier talent. Maybe though.

Buffalo got the guy with the most legal problems, failed conditioning tests, and semi-untapped potential though. ;)