Anyone here good at statistics?

boyst

This marks my (estimated) near 50th four leaf clover I have found in the last 3 or 4 months. I don't look, I really don't.

This marks my first 5 leaf clover. And no I wasn't looking.

This time I was talking to my mom look down at her dog and see a four leaf clover. I get down to look and it is a 5 leaf clover. I get down to look and where I place my hand is a 4 leaf clover. I then get up and show her and I said did you see that?! I just look down and find two of them. As I did I pointed to the ground and looked and found a 2nd four leaf clover.

I would love to get a funny line or something in here, and if you don't believe that I find them like this, ask my mom or the few people that have been around me as I look down and see them.

Disirregardlessness aside, I wonder what the odds are because the Google says:

The estimated statistical odds of finding a four-leaf clover on your first try is 10,000 to 1, and the odds skyrocket to 1,000,000 to 1 if you're looking to find a five-leaf clover on your first try. (The majority of the clovers you see outside have only three leaves.)

So what are the odds if you're not trying?

And then compound that with the number of clovers found together... seriously, bro... I don't know how to play my luck now?3ZQlAa2.jpg

Edited by jboyst62

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I was just thinking of this the other day looking @ the sorry excuse for a lawn I have... This time of the year clover is everywhere.

I would suspect it is very common in a FIELD of clover. My lawn is all clover and I routinely run into them (4 leaf)... LoL

Anyway... Do you do beekeeping/honey or have an apiarist come in seeing you have large fields of grass/clover?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

except, this is in the lawn, which is mostly fescue and some bermuda. this isn't the pasture. the clover shown is ladino. i do have some arrowhead, crimson, and a few other rare types that pop up, mostly ladino, though.

in the spring and fall it pops up everywhere but by this time of year it's too burned up and generally dying out.

I am going to start an apiary in February, when ya start'm around here. There are a few around here, one dude is a complete a-hole about a mile away and the others have no idea what they're doing.

I assume those odds are for a SINGLE clover, ie 1 out of every 10,000 is 4 leaf rather than 3. So, when you look down, you're presumably seeing far more than just 1, maybe 20, maybe 100 (IDK how well you focus on those things).

Also, I'd add that those odds are in general. I suspect that like anything genetic, "families" skew the odds (ie ~10% of the population are lefties, but in my "close" family tree, the rate is over 50%), and since you're looking at a patch of clover, I think it's reasonable to assume they're "related".

I assume those odds are for a SINGLE clover, ie 1 out of every 10,000 is 4 leaf rather than 3. So, when you look down, you're presumably seeing far more than just 1, maybe 20, maybe 100 (IDK how well you focus on those things).

Also, I'd add that those odds are in general. I suspect that like anything genetic, "families" skew the odds (ie ~10% of the population are lefties, but in my "close" family tree, the rate is over 50%), and since you're looking at a patch of clover, I think it's reasonable to assume they're "related".

i look at women a lot and those don't really change my stastics much. I look at money even more, no luck either. Same goes with ponies, skittles, and ice cream sandwiches.

Yeah, I agree. It's a mutation and I would suspect that when you find one it is much easier to find more in the immediate vicinity because of the shared genetic pool in that area. I don't really know much about it though and am just making a reasonable assumption.

except, this is in the lawn, which is mostly fescue and some bermuda. this isn't the pasture. the clover shown is ladino. i do have some arrowhead, crimson, and a few other rare types that pop up, mostly ladino, though.

in the spring and fall it pops up everywhere but by this time of year it's too burned up and generally dying out.

I am going to start an apiary in February, when ya start'm around here. There are a few around here, one dude is a complete a-hole about a mile away and the others have no idea what they're doing.

Cool!

Do you use Milorganite (Milwaukee municipal sewer sludge) and is your name Carl Spackler? I would say there is your reason... ;)

I spent 20 minutes looking for a six leaf.

I'm not sure what to do with all the clovers I find. I started pressing them in April and have it down to a science.

If anyone wants one for luck ,I'll mail ya one.

Apparently 5 leaf clovers are easier to find than nail clippers.

i didn't notice how long my nails were until I saw that. I rarely have to trim them for them being ripped off or torn so much.

I found one years ago, put it in my Mom's flower press for a while, and then laminated it onto a piece of white construction paper. It has been in my wallet for nearly 15 years. Not sure if it has brought me good luck, but I will continue to believe that it does (until the zombie apocalypse).

More related to the OP....I remember looking in my backyard for hours as a kid and never finding a 4 leaf clover. I have only found 1 in my lifetime, although I haven't really searched for them as an adult.

I found one years ago, put it in my Mom's flower press for a while, and then laminated it onto a piece of white construction paper. It has been in my wallet for nearly 15 years. Not sure if it has brought me good luck, but I will continue to believe that it does (until the zombie apocalypse).

And how long has it been since the Bills made the playoffs?