Ray Rice suspended two games? (Update: now cut/suspended)

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 11m

Report: "Impassioned" plea from Rice's wife influenced Commissioner http://wp.me/p14QSB-9wC6

Goodell needs to be fired. This 2 game suspension is beyond shameful and I don't see any way he could gain back credibility. This article reminds me of the "Cops" episodes where the abused women is pleading with the cop to not arrest her abuser.

I think it now was actually 6, but they challenged, and it was reduced to 4.

Your right, but the original question was how long was he suspended. He served a 4 game suspension.

Now, I've said before to be clear his behavior is deplorable, inexcusable, and I agree 4 games and their game checks is more appropriate. One point that came up yesterday was James Harrison was nailed for domestic abuse and receive no suspension. Back a decade ago, Michael Pittman of the Bucs also was nabbed for domestic abuse and received no suspension. It doesn't make it right, but the NFL has a record of not getting involved in these issues. That is not my take, but just bringing up other points related to the issue.

Smoking pot: throw the book at him. Smacking around his wife? Make him promise never to do it again, and do just little enough for a token punishment.

Josh Gordon and Dareus get a lot of flack around here and I'm not going to argue that they haven't acted stupidly, but Rice's crime is real, indisputably wrong, and cowardly. It's exactly the kind of conduct that the NFL should be trying to eliminate among its employees.

They need to prioritize and start distinguishing between victimless crimes, and those that cause more than just a PR black eye.

• 1 month later...

Not defending Rice by any means but what did you all expect? This is basically what everyone knew happened before this was released. When the story reads: "Rice KO's wife in elevator" and nobody denies it is fact...you should hardly be shocked again when this video comes out.

Not defending Rice by any means but what did you all expect? This is basically what everyone knew happened before this was released. When the story reads: "Rice KO's wife in elevator" and nobody denies it is fact...you should hardly be shocked again when this video comes out.

A picture paints a thousand words.

I guess I'm one of the naive ones, because I did not expect to see what I saw in that video. I knew she was knocked out but I just didn't expect a full left cross to the jaw. Rice is a craptastic human being. If Goodell saw this video before administering the "punishment" he should just step down. What a disgrace.

As for Rice himself -- how does a teammate see that and then want to "go to war" with this guy? I would not at all be surprised to see the Ravens cut bait within the next week.

@LeCharlesBent65

NFL players want to stand up for some shat, don't play against Ravens until Rice is suspended indefinitely. What if that was YOUR daughter?

@AlbertBreer

As it stands, Ray Rice is eligible to return to the Ravens on Friday. Hard to believe that'll actually happen.

@ProFootballTalk

Don't be shocked if NFL reopens Rice case. If they didn't see video and if he claimed there was no punch, they could take further action.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I don't understand how the Ravens haven't already come to that conclusion.

It's mind blowing actually.

@LeCharlesBent65

NFL players want to stand up for some shat, don't play against Ravens until Rice is suspended indefinitely. What if that was YOUR daughter?

@AlbertBreer

As it stands, Ray Rice is eligible to return to the Ravens on Friday. Hard to believe that'll actually happen.

@ProFootballTalk

Don't be shocked if NFL reopens Rice case. If they didn't see video and if he claimed there was no punch, they could take further action.

If they let this guy on the field, it'd be a crime. Jail is the only place for this man & if that was my daughter he hit, I'd be in jail & he'd be in the ground.

Holy crap. Seeing that, I'm lost for words. That's an animal not a man, a pathetic, no good, excuse of a man.

I can't believe the league saw this video and came to the conclusion they did. if so, shame on them.

The Ravens should **** can Rice immediately over this. And fans outta boo the guy endlessly every time he touches the ball, if he ever steps out onto the field again.

This is a serious black eye on the league.

@dan_dunleavy

If the commissioner of #NFL saw or knew of Ray Rice video we are all witnessing today, I think the NFL needs a new leader.

Mr. Roger Goodell. Still time to get this right. You can't possibly be ok with leaving it at "I didn't get it right" #NFL #RayRice

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Jason McIntyre@jasonrmcintyre 51s

NFL now says it didn't have this Ray Rice video. http://is.gd/m23nQK Hmmm. A few respected reporters said otherwise this summer.

I said in another thread, which I can't locate, that I heard on a sports talk radio show that the NFL didn't see the footage inside the elevator. I was told that was completely false. So either Goodell, who is a POS as well, gave Rice just an embarrassingly short 2-game suspension because he didn't see the footage, or he saw it, gave him an embarrassingly-short 2-game suspension, and is now lying about it. Utterly pathetic either way and a monumental black eye for the NFL and Goodell's failed PCP.

Doesn't make sense how a guy can smoke pot and miss a whole year and Rice gets two games for punching his then fiance/now wife. To be honest, I don't really care that charges will be dismissed and that they worked it out and are now married he should get at least 4-6 games.

Edited by LoyalToTheEnd

I say let the bastard play...and instruct the refs to turn their heads every time he is at the bottom of the pile. %justiceonthefield

I understand where you're coming from, but real justice should be coming from a court of law. As is often the case with domestic violence, they are not at all holding up their responsibilities here.

Doesn't make sense how a guy can smoke pot and miss a whole year and Rice gets two games for punching his then fiance/now wife. To be honest, I don't really care that charges will be dismissed and that they worked it out and are now married he should get at least 4-6 games the entire season if not more.

Edited by Pondslider

I understand where you're coming from, but real justice should be coming from a court of law. As is often the case with domestic violence, they are not at all holding up their responsibilities here.

I agree...but those !@#$in lawyers will argue that he has already been punished, etc...if that happens, then I hope other players take a little satisfaction in smacking him in the jaw when the ref isn't looking.