What is better, no guns, or more guns?

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

But then how will I ever get a rock with a silencer and bayonet lug?

You don't need a military-grade assault rock with a silencer and/or bayonet lug. The founding father's didn't need it!

Think of the children! What happens if they get a hold of one? Why do you hate poor innocent children who just want to go to school without being hit by an assault rock?

1 hour ago, Justice said:

You laugh but I know a place where you can get 10 to 20 years for throwing one at a soldier. 20 years. 

The fact that they survive the encounter shows incredible restraint by the soldier.

Quick question:  how is being disarmed by their government working out for the Palestinian people?

4 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

It's a DR-style tinfoil hat type thing, but not really tinfoil hatty because it's true.  Body armor isn't gonna "kill people." So why are the "guns are only good for killing people!!!!" crowd also for banning body armor?  Because the commonality between guns and body armor is this: people who possess them are harder to control.

Makes about as much sense as Philadelphia recent ban on bulletproof glass in crime ridden neighborhoods

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/07/outrage-as-philly-pushes-through-ban-on-bulletproof-glass-in-crime-plagued-neighborhood-shops.html

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The fact that they survive the encounter shows incredible restraint by the soldier.

Quick question:  how is being disarmed by their government working out for the Palestinian people?

Restraint huh? Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. Fact is 10 to 20 is a ton compared to 6 months for burning a baby and his father to death. 

I’ve touched on this before. I’m sure it saves a lot of Israeli lives, but it also allows the Israelis to getaway with a lot more than they probably could if the Palestinians were armed. 

10 hours ago, Azalin said:

I forgot all about that. %$@#ing idiots. :lol:

Check out that gun free all guns are banned within the city of Chicago gun crime stats.

www.heyjackass.com

Gun control is working really well there I see, or maybe criminals just don't abide by the gun control laws already on the books and no amount of gun control laws will make a difference. IDK but this anti gun crowd seems to be ignoring the huge elephant in the room and it's not more gun laws. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Check out that gun free all guns are banned within the city of Chicago gun crime stats.

www.heyjackass.com

Gun control is working really well there I see, or maybe criminals just don't abide by the gun control laws already on the books and no amount of gun control laws will make a difference. IDK but this anti gun crowd seems to be ignoring the huge elephant in the room and it's not more gun laws. 

They live behind huge gates and ride in a limo and never meet anyone who has a fear of crime 

I don't know what the answer is and I won't pretend anyone is going to change their mind on this subject. I will describe my own experiences though as an outsider. 

I live in Toronto and I am a gun owner, but never once in my life have I left my house feeling that I need a firearm to protect me. Toronto is a relatively safe city and random attacks are extremely rare. What violent crime there is is usually heavily concentrated in specific neighbourhoods. For a city of 5+ million residents, you hardly ever hear of random attacks or robberies. Our definition of violent crime is very different than in the US, and in Canada we include many things that the US doesn't. 

As some may know, guns are restricted in Canada. To purchase a firearm, you need a license. You can't just walk into a store and buy a long gun (rifle or shotgun). To get a license, you go through a gun safety course and have to pass an exam. Once you pass the exam, you fill out an application which involves your background, requires references, requires the consent of your spouse or ex spouse if there is one or anyone else who could reasonably object to your ability to purchase a gun. These applications are relatively straight forward and I've never heard of someone having one denied. The basic license is for "non restricted" firearms (rifles and shotguns with capacity limits). 

Once you have your license, you can purchase rifles and shotguns. With a few exceptions (.22 calibre rifles with extended mags, retired WW2 weapons, etc), rifles are restricted to guns with a magazine capacity of 5 rounds or fewer, and shotguns can hold 3 shells. 

The next license which requires more extensive background checks, is the "restricted firearms" license. If this application is approved, license holders can purchase handguns and some higher capacity semi automatic rifles (you can own an AR-15 in Canada with this license). These weapons need to be registered with the RCMP with an owner, and if you change your address you have to let them know. 

I think this system probably creates the environment where mass public shootings just aren't a thing in Canada. 

A guy tried an attack at our Parliament in Ottawa a couple years ago. He used a Bolt Action Rifle, shot one person and then was gunned down by police. I suspect our laws contributed to his inability to secure a more lethal weapon (hand gun or assault rifle). 

The notion that criminals will find ways to get the illegal firearms is true to some extent, but for the most part in Canada it is severely limited. There is certain gang and drug violence, which is almost entirely targeted are other criminals, but people with mental issues generally have zero success acquiring high capacity weapons in Canada even though they are available. 

Canadians don't have better mental health than Americans, yet mass shootings of random targets never happen in this country. I think it's probably the gun laws, but I'm not going to try and prove that. People who might shoot up a school, or a mall to kill random civilians generally can't get through the checks and balances we have in place. Like the Parliament guy, you might get the first license but the guns you can buy with that license aren't meant for mass killings due to their rate of fire, reload time, etc, and the result is that the police will have the upper hand in those situations and be able to resolve the situation before the casualty count gets out of control.

For the law abiding gun owners, if you want to own a handgun or an assault rifle, you can. You just need to follow some pretty basic rules that really don't impact your life all that much or cause any real inconvenience. 

All I know is that you guys need to do something. The status quo isn't working, so something needs to change. Doing nothing shouldn't be an option anymore. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 2

it appears DICK’s is no longer selling guns it stopped selling years ago ..................:lol:

The announcement today expanded the company policy to the company’s smaller Field & Stream chain of stores, which apparently  their principles somehow allowed them to continue selling until now.

1imu9d.jpg

IT’S TIME FOR COMMON-SENSE GUN LAWS: ......................................Right ?

Kentucky Congressman Proposes to Repeal ‘Gun-Free Zones Act.’

“Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) appeared on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday, where he made the case that since the majority of mass public shootings take place in gun-free zones like schools, the Gun-Free School Zone Act on 1990 – which makes it a crime to bring a gun on school grounds – should be repealed.”

Related: People Don’t Stop Killers. People With Guns Do.

3 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

And here's new advertising from competitors who are more than happy to sell guns:

DXInTUEXcAACeKq.jpg:large

Did Dick's stop selling guns?

It looks to me like they only added an age limit, stopped selling high capacity magazines, and stopped selling assault style weapons at their Field & Stream Stores.

Just now, garybusey said:

Did Dick's stop selling guns?

It looks to me like they only added an age limit, stopped selling high capacity magazines, and stopped selling assault style weapons at their Field & Stream Stores.

I don't understand why gun advocates constantly push the false narrative that proposing restrictions on assault weapons means that Liberals want to take away ALL of the guns. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

All I know is that you guys need to do something. The status quo isn't working, so something needs to change. Doing nothing shouldn't be an option anymore. 

If you've read through this thread, then you've seen just about everything imaginable in the way of suggestions on how to stop these incidents of gun violence, as well as all the arguments supporting gun ownership. Your takeaway is that we need to do something, that something needs to change, and that we can't keep doing nothing.

In our country, owning firearms is a constitutionally guaranteed right. You can't just make people start having to get a license for something the constitution clearly states is a right that can't be infringed upon. You may as well try requiring a license for free speech.

The problem that requires solving is how to keep these weapons out of the hands of disturbed, mentally ill, or otherwise violent people while protecting the rights of the citizenry.