What is better, no guns, or more guns?

6 hours ago, DC Tom said:

It would actually make more sense to ban education, so that as people graduate high school there's fewer targets.  :lol:

This is why we can't have a serious discussion about gun control.  The people pushing for gun control are completely ignorant about guns.

It's also true that many of the people pushing against restrictions are also completely ignorant about guns. Not all gun owners oppose restrictions, and not all gun proponents own guns. But ok — what do you think people are missing? ("A brain.") Sure. But really— what should people understand that they don't to have the discussion? Not even just for my benefit but in your opinion what's the core of the issue that you think people are missing?  

If the ignorance is first-hand experience with guns, that's fair, or fair-ish. I've seen plenty among the left people who haven't spent any time with one or understanding them; the right doesn't have a total monopoly on ignorance. The right's ignorance is the flipside, though -- a fairy tale version of guns. I'm not a hunting or military hobbyist & I'm no expert. But I did grow up with guns around. I know plenty on the left, or just people who agree with restrictions, who also grew up with guns, or served overseas, or currently own and use guns now. Guns are fun. There's an immediate palpable power that comes from every action with it - holding, carrying, firing, hitting your target. It's a rush. I don't want to own a gun but I understand why people want to own guns. Or maybe I can't understand unless I've been a gun owner? I dunno, I wouldn't want me owning a gun, lol. Would you?? hahah Probably not. You think I'm insane so probably not. But that's my point — guns are too heavy a responsibility to be given out so lightly. 

I get that the AR-15 is popular for its versatility & mostly understand about the confusion with different classifications and why that's frustrating to gun owners who are hearing it incorrectly; I also agree that banning certain things is pointless, a stupid half-measure; the Democratic party is full of stupid half-measures and it's part of the reason they're not in power. People on the left need to stop saying "ban" because I think that, er, triggers people, but mostly because it's the wrong approach: there's no need to "ban" anything, just stronger regulation. The proposal of a fair & consistent universal background check system for all arms/weapons seems logical with two faults — 1) "isn't a box cutter a weapon?" etc., so you need to get into the weeds on classifying things which is tedious but isn't honestly that difficult; and 2) the collected works of the NRA/2A rhetoric. 

Is it a mandatory conscription/training like in Sweden? Whip the snowflakes into shape with a draft? Or what?  I'm genuinely curious to hear practical solutions to mass shootings, or what helps the discussion. All I've heard from the right is "do nothing, there is no problem," or "teachers with guns? or more guards? uhh brb" — and from Democrats its "ban this kind of magazine or bullet or gun" workaround, which again, I don't like that solution, a weak half-measure. Universal background checks for firearm sales, going forward, seem to be the best solution I've heard. It's not perfect but it seems to be the best option. But, I dunno. 

(To be clear — I'm talking more broadly than about the specific quote you were responding to; extrapolating.)

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Uh...you're the sheriff.  He's your deputy.  You are in a leadership position, over him and your entire department.  You are responsible for EVERYTHING THAT GOES ON IN YOUR DEPARTMENT, you !@#$!

This jackass isn't even fit to work at Taco Bell.

Agreed it was a failure and he should resign. The amount of warning signs and nothing was done. Completely maddening. If Parkland mass shooting was more unique instead of increasingly common, I might be content to just say this is an absurd failure in this one specific instance. But either way, it shouldn't have been that easy to get the gun. He should have been handled earlier, yes, and it in a utopian world wouldn't fall to the gun seller as a line of defense but we need more responsibility there. Regulate even a little bit, for God's sake. This kid would have not passed the test to work at Walmart. The 19 or however many red flags should have mattered in the sale. 

The most frustrating thing is definitely "not my responsibility." From this man especially, but also from too many others.

Edited by LA Grant

Just now, LA Grant said:

It's also true that many of the people pushing against restrictions are also completely ignorant about guns. Not all gun owners oppose restrictions, and not all gun proponents own guns. But ok — what do you think people are missing? ("A brain.") Sure. But really— what should people understand that they don't to have the discussion? Not even just for my benefit but in your opinion what's the core of the issue that you think people are missing?  

If the ignorance is first-hand experience with guns, that's fair, or fair-ish. I've seen plenty among the left people who haven't spent any time with one or understanding them; the right doesn't have a total monopoly on ignorance. The right's ignorance is the flipside, though -- a fairy tale version of guns. I'm not a hunting or military hobbyist & I'm no expert. But I did grow up with guns around. I know plenty on the left, or just people who agree with restrictions, who also grew up with guns, or served overseas, or currently own and use guns now. Guns are fun. There's an immediate palpable power that comes from every action with it - holding, carrying, firing, hitting your target. It's a rush. I don't want to own a gun but I understand why people want to own guns. Or maybe I can't understand unless I've been a gun owner? I dunno, I wouldn't want me owning a gun, lol. Would you?? hahah Probably not. You think I'm insane so probably not. But that's my point — guns are too heavy a responsibility to be given out so lightly. 

I get that the AR-15 is popular for its versatility & mostly understand about the confusion with different classifications and why that's frustrating to gun owners who are hearing it incorrectly; I also agree that banning certain things is pointless, a stupid half-measure; the Democratic party is full of stupid half-measures and it's part of the reason they're not in power. People on the left need to stop saying "ban" because I think that, er, triggers people, but mostly because it's the wrong approach: there's no need to "ban" anything, just stronger regulation. The proposal of a fair & consistent universal background check system for all arms/weapons seems logical with two faults — 1) "isn't a box cutter a weapon?" etc., so you need to get into the weeds on classifying things which is tedious but isn't honestly that difficult; and 2) the collected works of the NRA/2A rhetoric. 

Is it a mandatory conscription/training like in Sweden? Whip the snowflakes into shape with a draft? Or what?  I'm genuinely curious to hear practical solutions to mass shootings, or what helps the discussion. All I've heard from the right is "do nothing, there is no problem," or "teachers with guns? or more guards? uhh brb" — and from Democrats its "ban this kind of magazine or bullet or gun" workaround, which again, I don't like that solution, a weak half-measure. Universal background checks for firearm sales, going forward, seem to be the best solution I've heard. It's not perfect but it seems to be the best option. But, I dunno. 

(To be clear — I'm talking more broadly than about the specific quote you were responding to; extrapolating.)

Agreed it was a failure and he should resign. The amount of warning signs and nothing was done. Completely maddening. If Parkland mass shooting was more unique instead of increasingly common, I might be content to just say this is an absurd failure in this one specific instance. But either way, it shouldn't have been that easy to get the gun. He should have been handled earlier, yes, and it in a utopian world wouldn't fall to the gun seller as a line of defense but we need more responsibility there. Regulate even a little bit, for God's sake. This kid would have not passed the test to work at Walmart. The 19 or however many red flags should have mattered in the sale. 

The most frustrating thing to me though is "not my responsibility." From this man especially, but also from too many others.

Man, I really hate how freely you rape the English language.

How can someone write so much, yet say so little?

tenor.gif?itemid=4481202

Pigeon-Commits-Suicide.gif

11 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Of course I am not surprised.

Still, it's a phenomenon I don't understand.  I'm not trying to take away anyone's rights, it's just not for me.  If I find myself with a little extra money & am looking to make a flashy impulse purchase, I'd rather buy a new guitar.

Edited by Cugalabanza

4 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

Of course I am not surprised.

Still, it's a phenomenon I don't understand.  I'm not trying to take away anyone's rights, it's just not for me.  If I find myself with a little extra money & am looking to make a flashy impulse purchase, I'd rather buy a new guitar.

Problem solved.

See the source image

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You could get arrested for "making terrorist threats" carrying that guitar near a school.  

If I were playing that guitar at my place of work while masturbating into a plant while in the presence of people who report to me, I might get famous for a minute.

EDIT:  Who am I kidding?  I don't have anybody who reports to me.

Edited by Cugalabanza

2 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

If I were playing that guitar at my place of work while masturbating into a plant while in the presence of people who report to me, I might get famous for a minute.

EDIT:  Who am I kidding?  I don't have anybody who reports to me.

What kind of plant?

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

You could get arrested for "making terrorist threats" carrying that guitar near a school.  

It took months for this strap to clear customs into the US back when I first ordered mine:

strap.jpg

17 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Whereas the guitar above wouldn't even clear customs, because "rosewood fingerboard."

:lol: Ain't that some $#&%!

15 minutes ago, row_33 said:

where did you purchase this from?

Purchased from Strait Music in Austin TX back in 2007. It was an import from Canada at the time, but now there are apparently plenty of them at the AMS warehouse.

Too bad Trump wasn’t there because he’d have stopped it. What. A. Hero. We should hold a triumph to our great Imperator for the actions he would have taken had he been there. It would have been like Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris, and Jesus culminating into one and kicking some serious ass. It. Would. Have. Been. Epic. Alvin York, eat your heart out ya big pansie. 

6 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Too bad Trump wasn’t there because he’d have stopped it. What. A. Hero. We should hold a triumph to our great Imperator for the actions he would have taken had he been there. It would have been like Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris, and Jesus culminating into one and kicking some serious ass. It. Would. Have. Been. Epic. Alvin York, eat your heart out ya big pansie. 

Of course that's not what he said. At. All. 

But that's the spin... so I guess it's the same thing in today's world.