What is better, no guns, or more guns?

1 hour ago, garybusey said:

Did Dick's stop selling guns?

It looks to me like they only added an age limit, stopped selling high capacity magazines, and stopped selling assault style weapons at their Field & Stream Stores.

Can someone please define assault-style rifles. They sound very dangerous, but I have no idea what that is.

6 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Can someone please define assault-style rifles. They sound very dangerous, but I have no idea what that is.

Don't worry, members of Congress with no experience with guns are helping us out with that.

8 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The government should not have a database on where all the guns are, who has the guns, what types of guns they are, and how much ammunition is stored for each gun type.

You're describing the beginnings of a dystopian nightmare in which the government rounds up all the guns because you're made it incredibly easy for them to do so.

"Shall not be infringed" necessarily includes undertaking all the necessary steps prior to initiating an efficient and maximally effective gun ban.

This has essentially been the system in Canada for the past 23 years and there's no threat of the government rounding up all the guns. 

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This has essentially been the system in Canada for the past 23 years and there's no threat of the government rounding up all the guns. 

Yet, if you own a gun they come check on it often, you'd have to register it every year for a fee, etc.

That's freedom!  Pay us for freedom!  We track you for freedom!

!@#$ Canada

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

You also have a Prime Ministers who is one coin toss away from making all men wear dresses and stilettos.

What's good for America's Hat is not always what's good for America.

Just now, Boyst62 said:

Yet, if you own a gun they come check on it often, you'd have to register it every year for a fee, etc.

That's freedom!  Pay us for freedom!  We track you for freedom!

!@#$ Canada

Nope.

I own 4 guns. Never paid a single fee since I bought any of them. I have to pay to renew my license every 5 years for the cost of $60. 

Oh, the horror!!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The government should not have a database on where all the guns are, who has the guns, what types of guns they are, and how much ammunition is stored for each gun type.

You're describing the beginnings of a dystopian nightmare in which the government rounds up all the guns because you're made it incredibly easy for them to do so.

"Shall not be infringed" necessarily includes undertaking all the necessary steps prior to initiating an efficient and maximally effective gun ban.

Because the DMV led to "the government" "rounding up" all of our cars? "The government is going to prevent our freedom of movement!" 

"They're going to make laws that I shouldn't beat my wife?? What is it the government's concern what I do in the privacy of my own home???" And yet, we're glad to have these in place.

Every societal change could be looked at as some radical nightmare compared to what came before. Not to mention, gun owner lists already exist in different forms. NRA membership, for one. https://www.concealedcarry.com/law/are-guns-registered  Despite these lists already existing in some forms, there has been no "dystopian nightmare" in terms of guns being taken away — the dystopian nightmare is that armed citizens are fighting an irrational position literally provided to them by the gun lobby (remember when you quoted Wayne LaPierre in earnest?): https://www.nraila.org/articles/20110125/no-surrender 

You bumper-sticker-quoting doofus.

Just now, jrober38 said:

Just because it hasn't happened in 23 years in Canada doesn't mean it can't happen.  It happened in both Australia and England.  You also don't enjoy Second Amendment protections in Canada which prevent exactly that sort of thing.  You're at the mercy of your government in regards to guns, where our government is at the mercy of it's citizens.  That's a fundamental difference in the nature of the relationship.

2 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

You also have a Prime Ministers who is one coin toss away from making all men wear dresses and stilettos.

Trudeau is the worst. Such a buffoon. 

56 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

As for your false equivalency argument about a license for free speech, tell you what — when school kids are dying because of mass yellings, then I'm happy to talk about giving you a formal process to apply for an official license to use the "N" word whenever you'd like. Win-win.

You get points for spelling and punctuation, but come on - that's some pretty weak hyperbole there.

8 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Yeah! Good thing we have much better leadership here in the States.... ??????? Uhhhhhhhhh.

This is why your posts have to be pithy one-liners, because the underlying ideas never work past that. You're a meme dealer high on your own supply.

2 minutes ago, Azalin said:

You get points for spelling and punctuation, but come on - that's some pretty weak hyperbole there.

Yes, correct, because I was showing you why the logic in the argument you presented doesn't actually work. Just because there are restrictions for 1A & restrictions for 2A does not mean the restrictions need to be uniform for both.

The law can & should be be nuanced. It is presently not.

Edited by LA Grant

8 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Yeah! Good thing we have much better leadership here in the States.... ??????? Uhhhhhhhhh.

I'll never understand why so many people on the left are convinced the entire world is better at everything than the US, and yet your thrift store intelligence can do nothing more than stay in the US and B word about it.

Canada would welcome you with open arms. As would Venezuela. And Sweden.

You should go where you'll be happier.

1 minute ago, garybusey said:

So Dick's still sells guns or what?

It's hard to tell. They said they're going to stop selling assault-style rifles. 

Does that include all guns? Some guns? Which guns? Someone needs to define "assault-style.

8 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Fantasy: More guns, not fewer! Arm the teachers!

Reality:

https://apnews.com/e962f3205cb74c04b910fe6fde638194

So a teacher fires a gun in his classroom, which is empty.

Why, by a leftist's logic, that's the 19th mass shooting at a school this year! When will the madness end???

15 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Just because it hasn't happened in 23 years in Canada doesn't mean it can't happen.  It happened in both Australia and England.  You also don't enjoy Second Amendment protections in Canada which prevent exactly that sort of thing.  You're at the mercy of your government in regards to guns, where our government is at the mercy of it's citizens.  That's a fundamental difference in the nature of the relationship.

Australia institutes gun control in 1996 - ZERO mass shootings of random civilians since

UK institutes gun control in 1996 - One mass shooting of random civilians since (12 total deaths) 

Canada institutes gun control in 1995 - Two mass shootings of random civilians since (10 total deaths)

USA - no gun control - Sixteen mass shootings of random civilians since 1995 (328 total deaths)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Australia institutes gun control in 1996 - ZERO mass shootings of random civilians since

UK institutes gun control in 1996 - One mass shooting of random civilians since (12 total deaths) 

Canada institutes gun control in 1995 - Two mass shootings of random civilians since (10 total deaths)

What does their respective Constitutions say about the right to bear arms?

2 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

It's hard to tell. They said they're going to stop selling assault-style rifles. 

Does that include all guns? Some guns? Which guns? Someone needs to define "assault-style.

It includes the ones they stopped selling there months ago and they're now no longer selling at Field & Stream stores.

and Dick's still sells guns!