E.J. shown to be pretty good when he has time (All 22 review).

We hated Trent because he was too tentative.

We hated Fitzpatrick because he was too aggressive.

We hate EJ because he's too too tentative.

NEXT

I don't hate EJ, I think he was a rookie, being told to be careful.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there wasnt a single throw . . . shown at the actual LINK. Did you look?

Of course i'm not talking about all season, as if I have some encyclopedic Rain-man memory.

And i've watched a few NFL films-type videos. Like where Walsh and Montana are going through the drops (3, 5, 7 steps). Or where Manning is talking about footwork, ball placement, driving through the throws, etc. I dont want my QB to be aiming floaters all the time. Not even half of the time.

Comparing Montana and Manning to a player with 10 games played in his career?

Many throws here where he looked like an NFL QB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBDqyq_6Oc0

I hadn't seen that, actually, thanks for posting, Nucci!

Couple of comments:

1) I do think we will miss Stevie this year, though I understand the reasoning to trade him and make room for the future. Here's hoping Watkins lives up to his promise!

2) Chandler actually RAC more than I thought

3) Oh, some of those drops and fumbles did hurt!

Are we really going to cite a game against the Jaguars for proof EJ played well? He made some throws last season, but apparently people have forgotten the Pittsburgh and Tampa games where he was plain dreadful.

Consistency is what I don't see from EJ.

I agree but how many rookies, especially rookie QBs are consistent?

Edited by nucci

We hated Trent because he was too tentative.

We hated Fitzpatrick because he was too aggressive.

We hate EJ because he's too too tentative.

NEXT

well, I thought we liked Fitz's agressivness. Not his arm strength.

My problem with EJ is he reminds me of Trent on the field.

well, I thought we liked Fitz's agressivness. Not his arm strength.

My problem with EJ is he reminds me of Trent on the field.

I prefer him to look like Trent now/last year and grow instead of looking like Trent did after he got knocked out. That single play really sent him on a downward spiral. He wasn't great by any means but went from average to trentative.

Edited by The Wiz

I prefer him to look like Trent now/last year and grow instead of looking like Trent did after he got knocked out. That single play really sent him on a downward spiral. He wasn't great by any means but went from average to trentative.

Agreed. Before the injury Trent had a Alex smith feel to him. Not a big arm, but managed game and checked down, didn't over turn. After that injury, he was checking down still, but doing it all wrong. So horrible throwing the ball to someone behind the LOS all day.

For a rookie, I was happy with EJ not counting the injuries. His knees have me more worried than his talent. Though I do worry about talent a little bit too. He had some awful games last year, but he had some good ones. Especially earlier in the season. He will have a chance to show if he learned anything last year and is at a higher level. Im still expecting a terrible season by the bills, because after all these years, that's all I know

Those highlights were fun to watch. A few thoughts:

1. EJ's spin move to the weak side (his left) is always fun to watch. He doesn't over-use it, it's such a natural thing for him and very effective. A lot of his college highlights have him using that move and he did very smoothly last year when needed. For such a big guy it's pretty slick. Cam Newton has the same move and it's lethal.

2. Robert Woods REALLY gets open on some of those plays. Not blown coverages, just smoking his defender and finding the holes in coverage. He and Sammy could be the best duo in the league down the road.

3. He never complained about it once last year, but EJ had to be pissed that we let Levitre go and made him deal with his rookie NFL season with a huge hole at LG on his blindside. Talk about a major blunder. Release Byrd and tag Levitre. Either way they are both gone this year, but Andy would have shown up and played hard and helped the team, not faked an injury and played half-assed like Byrd. Watching the Oline collapse so many times on that side with virtually no pocket for EJ got to be ridiculous. It hurt his development, stalled lots of drives and ultimately put the defense on the field way more than they should have been.

4. Stevie was a force out there last year. I forgot how much until I watched the highlights.

I agree but how many rookies, especially rookie QBs are consistent?

Rookies don't struggle as much playing QB in the NFL like they did even 5 years ago. I didn't expect him to come in and throw for 4,000 yards with 25 TD's, but there are inconsistencies in his game that aren't easily improved. At this point (and cue someone to call my credibility into question because I'm not a NFL QB coach) I see someone who's more of a thrower than a passer. By that I mean he's just trying to get the ball there and lacks timing to his passes.

EJ completed about 58% of his passes, but his YPA (6.4) was exceptionally low as well. I know they didn't ask him to make as many throws as the top guys, but it's concerning to have a low completion percentage and YPA combined. Perhaps that'll improve, but I see someone who struggles with touch on all his throws and if his mechanics don't improve the consistency won't be there in year 2.

Rookies don't struggle as much playing QB in the NFL like they did even 5 years ago. I didn't expect him to come in and throw for 4,000 yards with 25 TD's, but there are inconsistencies in his game that aren't easily improved. At this point (and cue someone to call my credibility into question because I'm not a NFL QB coach) I see someone who's more of a thrower than a passer. By that I mean he's just trying to get the ball there and lacks timing to his passes.

EJ completed about 58% of his passes, but his YPA (6.4) was exceptionally low as well. I know they didn't ask him to make as many throws as the top guys, but it's concerning to have a low completion percentage and YPA combined. Perhaps that'll improve, but I see someone who struggles with touch on all his throws and if his mechanics don't improve the consistency won't be there in year 2.

This is complete horse pucky

None of us are QB coaches and I can't criticize your opinions. Having said that, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick, Tannehill, Geno Smith..etc all struggled as rookies and still are struggling to be good QBs with the exception of possibly Dalton and Kaepernick.

Edited by nucci

The ONLY rookie QB that I can think of that didn't struggle in my lifetime is Dan Marino. EVERY OTHER ONE was inconsistent at best. AT BEST.

GO BILLS!!!

Those highlights were fun to watch. A few thoughts:

1. EJ's spin move to the weak side (his left) is always fun to watch. He doesn't over-use it, it's such a natural thing for him and very effective. A lot of his college highlights have him using that move and he did very smoothly last year when needed. For such a big guy it's pretty slick. Cam Newton has the same move and it's lethal.

If you study the concerns voiced by FSU fans when EJ was drafted, that spin move was at the top of the list because he relied on it so much. He may have gotten way with it in college, but it would be much tougher in the NFL. And if you take a sampling of EJ's bad plays last year, a very high percentage of them came following that spin move.

If you study the concerns voiced by FSU fans when EJ was drafted, that spin move was at the top of the list because he relied on it so much. He may have gotten way with it in college, but it would be much tougher in the NFL. And if you take a sampling of EJ's bad plays last year, a very high percentage of them came following that spin move.

While a nice thing to look at athletically, that spin move means he takes his eyes off the field and that second is an eternity in the NFL. I'd bet it's been discouraged by Marrone and Co. since he entered the league. It's hard to break some habits, but that one needs to go.

GO BILLS!!!