E.J. shown to be pretty good when he has time (All 22 review).

I personally think it's bull **** that we're stuck with a QB who has had almost TEN GAMES to perfect his craft and that he STILL has room for improvement.

!@#$ing bull ****!!!!!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, but what QB isn't?? The whole difference between average and great QBs are what happens when they DON'T have time or are under pressure...

I mean if you are in the NFL and aren't great when you can stand there with no pressure and make a throw, you probably are in the wrong business...

While a nice thing to look at athletically, that spin move means he takes his eyes off the field and that second is an eternity in the NFL. I'd bet it's been discouraged by Marrone and Co. since he entered the league. It's hard to break some habits, but that one needs to go.

GO BILLS!!!

I dont hate it if the protection has broken down and he is about to be sacked......I would like to see it result in a quick throw to a safety valve, a immediate decision to run and either get out of bounds or do the baseball slide.....or simply throw it away

I would venture to say this would be the case with a lot of QBs...that means the play has broken down and now the time is off to all the targets.

I am not sure if I understand the mechanics of this chart. I mean who the heck has 3.6 seconds to throw in the NFL these days? I mean, on the very portion of the chart that your referring to he's better than Drew Brees and Eli Manning, and if you go to 3.1 to 3.5 he's better than Tom Brady. The author makes no attempt to define what he means by "Time to Throw". Does he mean time in the pocket waiting for someone to be open? Or hanging on to the ball because you're running for your life?

Edited by angryfan62

I am not sure if I understand the mechanics of this chart. I mean who the heck has 3.6 seconds to throw in the NFL these days? I mean, on the very portion of the chart that your referring to he's better than Drew Brees and Eli Manning, and if you go to 3.1 to 3.5 he's better than Tom Brady. The author makes no attempt to define what he means by "Time to Throw". Does he mean time in the pocket waiting for someone to be open? Or hanging on to the ball because you're running for your life?

There was an article I believe that broke down EJ's pocket time. I believe it was if the line held for 2.6 seconds he had somewhere in the upper 60s, I believe was the number, completion percentage.

I'll see if I can find it again.

I would venture to say this would be the case with a lot of QBs...that means the play has broken down and now the time is off to all the targets.

Yea that would be my guess. I mean just looking at the best percentage, it's 51.8%, which still isn't great. The other problem with this statistic is because its doesn't happen often, it's too low of a sample size. Take Thaddeus for example, who is second on the list at 50%, he only had 10 attempts and completed 5. Should he really qualify to make the list with that low of attempts.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/06/03/qbs-in-focus/

These charts aren't hard to understand. It doesn't take long to browse through and get the gist. You can see all the QB's strengths and weaknesses portrayed accurately. Distribution is the chart that scares me. EJ is dead last at connecting with WRs (45th out of 45).

Gabbert and Freeman had worse completion percentage. Factor in how much we run and we averaged 4.8 yards per play (5th from last) having two downs to make up 5 yards doesn't seem like much but we are known to run on 1st and 2nd and pass on 3rd if it's long.

https://www.profootb...3/qbs-in-focus/

These charts aren't hard to understand. It doesn't take long to browse through and get the gist. You can see all the QB's strengths and weaknesses portrayed accurately. Distribution is the chart that scares me. EJ is dead last at connecting with WRs (45th out of 45).

I just cant get into a chart too much when the QB hasnt even had a full season of work......

Watching that Highlight video made me wonder a few things: 1) I still don't get the trading up for Watkins and trading Stevie move. He was clearly our best receiver last year and we could've stayed where we were drafted Ebron, and still had our first round pick next year that we could possibly use on a QB if EJ sucks this year. 2) EJ's best games were clearly early in the season against the Patriots and Panthers(Actually first two weeks of the season). Not sure what that means just thought it was interesting. 3) The Falcons game was killer. Heartbreaking loss and the season was essentially over after that. In fact, I watched only one game after losing to the Falcons.(Week 17 against New England) I really hope this season this team can play some meaningful game in later December for once.....

1. Stevie is really good, but I'm guessing the thinking was that he can only take you so far. Sammy's ceiling appears to be much higher. I'll miss Stevie, but he could certainly be frustrating as well.

2. Perhaps that they kept things simple early on, and then progressively added too much to his plate too quickly?

3. You got that right. Killer loss, but they did a lot of things right in that game despite the loss. Something to build on, I hope.

None of us are QB coaches and I can't criticize your opinions. Having said that, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick, Tannehill, Geno Smith..etc all struggled as rookies and still are struggling to be good QBs with the exception of possibly Dalton and Kaepernick.

Dalton is not a good QB...in fact he is almost a Fitz clone with a slightly stronger arm and AJ Gren to bail him out on underthrows...

https://www.profootb...3/qbs-in-focus/

It doesn't take long to read the chart, but numbers on a chart are meaningless without context and sometimes don't mean what a quick browse would lead one to think they mean.

For example, if a QB is taking >3 seconds to complete a play and is very good - does it mean the QB is good, or does it mean the OL is excellent at giving the QB time, and the QB NEEDS that time to make up his mind and throw and sucks if he has less? If a QB sucks in that time interval, is it because the only time he's taking that long, is when there's not much pressure because all the WR are covered like blankets and the only thing he's got is a low percentage Hail? It's easy to scan numbers, but it's harder to draw reasonable conclusions about what they mean about a QB's strengths and weaknesses without context.

It's all about the O line.

precisely!

The focal point of most fans is the QB, and when the team doesn't have much success they tend to blame him. It is a team game, and the one position most dependent on the other players around him is the QB. Some fans watch the RB get tackled behind the line of scrimmage and then blame him for not being able to break a tackle or be quick enough to escape the tackle.

Last years O line lost their best ranked pass blocker when Andy Levitre left, and the Bills proceeded to replace him with garbage that was cut and gone from the team by week six. Then the replacement at LG was the backup center who has notoriously graded poorly, and he did again last year.

Someone mentioned that EJ looked bad against the Buc's, Steelers, and he also looked horrible in that first game against the Jets. The line gave up 8 sacks in that first Jets game, and Spiller had 10 rushes for 9 yards. All three of those games were on the road, and the Bills O line was basically useless in those games. Plus, no QB coach, no vet QB on the roster to help the three rookie QB's.

Anyway, the Bills addressed the line problems by drafting three O linemen last draft, two OT's, and an OG. Plus they brought in a 5.5 million dollar OG in free agency to help bolster the line. Then this off season they hired a QB coach, and brought in some extra help in hiring other offensive coaches.

In young QB's its all about letting them gain confidence play by play, game by game, and if EJ can stay healthy this season. I fully expect him to greatly improve from last season.

• 2 weeks later...

Cordy Glenn looked awfully good I those clips!!!

I was thinking Stevie looked real good in those clips too, and he did - but the more it went on the more I can see why the decision was made to let Woods get most of the attention after Sammy.

maybe Andrew Luck, RGIII? RGIII did take a large step back in 2013. the injury still?

I tend to do this fairly often, so I hope those that have seen me do so will forgive me...have you compared EJ's rookie numbers to Andrew Luck's rookie numbers?

Luck (2012): 16 games, 339 comp/627 att (54.1%), 4,374 yds (6.98 YPA) 23 TDs, 18 INT, 5 rushing TDs, 10 fumbles, 76.5 QB rating

EJ (2013): 10 games, 180 comp/306 att (58.8%), 1,972 yds (6.44 YPA), 11 TDs, 9 INT, 2 rushing TDs, 6 fumbles, 77.7 QB rating

Not a huge difference really.