E.J. shown to be pretty good when he has time (All 22 review).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch EJ's mechanics.

They suck. There wasnt a single throw where he looked like an NFL qb. He is aiming. Guiding. Hoping. And he always . . . seems . . . a tad late. Which, if the excuse is you dont have time in the pocket, then the result should be your throws are early, not late. No?

He is waiting for things to look perfect before throwing the ball. He doesnt seem to be anticipating, or throwing to a spot (not even on those designed square-outs to Woods). Not saying he cant improve, and the author points out some things to give us hope. But dude, work on the mechanics, por favor.

Edited by maddenboy

Watch EJ's mechanics.

They suck. There wasnt a single throw where he looked like an NFL qb. He is aiming. Guiding. Hoping. And he always . . . seems . . . a tad late. Which, if the excuse is you dont have time in the pocket, then the result should be your throws are early, not late. No?

He is waiting for things to look perfect before throwing the ball. He doesnt seem to be anticipating, or throwing to a spot (not even on those designed square-outs to Woods). Not saying he cant improve, and the author points out some things to give us hope. But dude, work on the mechanics, por favor.

I love internet/message board experts. Do you honestly even know what constitutes 'good' mechanics at the quarterback position? If so, what are your credentials other than watching from your couch and playing Madden? And don't say you coached/played HS football. There isn't one look that shows a quarterback has good/great mechanics. It's a range and also depends on body type/size. It's similar to golf--two golfers can have good mechanics but can look totally different. Throwing a ball, no matter what the sport, is more about efficiency of body sequence than where the ball is positioned in relation to the body. EJ's mechanics do not 'suck' and I'm sure whatever he needs to work on in that regard is being addressed by those who specialize in working with NFL quarterbacks and by EJ himself. Stop parroting what other uninformed fans/viewers spout ignorantly. One thing is certain: you do not know enough to criticize any NFL quarterback so harshly. Edited by ko12010

Watch EJ's mechanics.

I don't know mb, I watched those plays over and over, especially the 1st one where we all thought he never saw SJ beating the coverage deep. He DID see him, but realized at once that it was impossible to get the ball there. If he stops to set his feet and throw he gets destroyed by one or both of the linemen running free in pursuit, and if he tries to sprint right and throw on the run he violates a core NFL QB fundamental: "Never throw the ball back across your body over the middle of the field late". That's a classic rookie mistake, the only guy who could do that was B. Farve back when he still had a rocket motor attached to his arm. He did exactly as he should have done, pull it down and run for what you can get. If I had to pick I would rather see a rookie being a bit too cautious with the ball than being a bit too careless with it. I can agree that the designed plays to Woods may not have been things of beauty (except for that awesome block on a charging LB on one of them. Dang who was that? Summers?). But they were all 1st downs I believe, Simple plays/easy yards for the rookie. I guess we just see it differently.

Watch EJ's mechanics.

You lose all credibility when you say "there wasn't a single throw where he looked like an NFL qb". That's where I stopped reading and just chuckled.

"there wasnt a single throw" . . . shown at the actual LINK. Did you look?

Of course i'm not talking about all season, as if I have some encyclopedic Rain-man memory.

And i've watched a few NFL films-type videos. Like where Walsh and Montana are going through the drops (3, 5, 7 steps). Or where Manning is talking about footwork, ball placement, driving through the throws, etc. I dont want my QB to be aiming floaters all the time. Not even half of the time.

Edited by maddenboy

there wasnt a single throw . . . shown at the actual LINK. Did you look?

Of course i'm not talking about all season, as if I have some encyclopedic Rain-man memory.

And i've watched a few NFL films-type videos. Like where Walsh and Montana are going through the drops (3, 5, 7 steps). Or where Manning is talking about footwork, ball placement, driving through the throws, etc. I dont want my QB to be aiming floaters all the time. Not even half of the time.

I felt from preseason that Manuel was aiming the ball. In crunch time, specifically two minute drills he stopped aiming. It seemed to me that Hackett had him so worried about turn overs that he was tentative. When he stoped thinking just played he was much better.

Edited by chris heff

I felt from preseason that Manuel was aiming the ball. In crunch time, specifically two minute drills he stopped aiming. It seemed to me that Hackett had him so worried about turn overs that he was tentative. When he stoped thinking just played he was much better.

Probably Sammy's reference recently to just trust his receivers. Trust in Sammy to go get the ball . Confidence in those receivers is key , right ?

If there is one criticism of mine that i feel strongly about with EJ, is that he played tentative . Even when he had protection he seemed gun shy at times.

Thats my worry , he won't settle down and just play naturally. I am all aboard the Hope train though.

Great OP ! Thanks for the link.

I have been a Jeremy White fan since i first read and watched his articles. Good dude

Edited by 3rdand12

I think that is what Hackett is trying to drill into EJ. Trust what you see and let it go. EJ does look mechanical sometimes out there trying to be too perfect which causes him to be late. Can he turn it around who knows but he seems like the type of kid who is going to work his tail off to improve. Hopefully that is enough to take this team where it needs to go.

Can EJ be as good as a Flacco or Eli Manning I think he can. He seems to play his best ball under pressure. With a good oline I think he can make the next step this year just hope he can stay healthy all 16 games.

Edited by billieve420

3rd and 12, that's explainable although I was thinking similarly. In his interviews as well as Hackett and Marrone. He had so much thrown at him he was thinking too much, not reacting. He SHOULD know the playbook this year, and they should open up the offense.

I'm cautiously optimistic, and he does have an extra pre-season game to get his timing down with the WR/TE and RB's.

Not that you are, but for others, I'm not ready to throw him under the bus. I expect progress this year and a stud next year. We need our defense and running game to keep us in games with a middle of the pack passing game. If we can just move that passing offense into the 14-16th ratings, we have the potential to be #1 in the run this year. Hell, we certainly have more than enough backs, and a big, athletic line.

Im not going to get into Madden Boy's credentials of knowing what he does or doesnt know what he is talking about.........im just gonna assume that he has a reason he feels the way he does....

Here are mine.....(as football coach....not at a high level.....but I do understand QB mechanics)

- EJ DOES at times guide his throws.....almost like he tries to be too perfect.........

- I firmly beleive that EJ was told not to turn that ball over......to take what the defense gives and not force throws......anyone notice that his play picks up in crucial times? 2 minute drills......game winning type drives? That is because the gloves come off and EJ is free to try to win the game without the shackles of making the safe throws (back off Hackett)

- Madden Boy....not a call out but if your following along EJ has been working on mechanics all offseason......and now has a coached dedicated to it

3rd and 12, that's explainable although I was thinking similarly. In his interviews as well as Hackett and Marrone. He had so much thrown at him he was thinking too much, not reacting. He SHOULD know the playbook this year, and they should open up the offense.

I'm cautiously optimistic, and he does have an extra pre-season game to get his timing down with the WR/TE and RB's.

Not that you are, but for others, I'm not ready to throw him under the bus. I expect progress this year and a stud next year. We need our defense and running game to keep us in games with a middle of the pack passing game. If we can just move that passing offense into the 14-16th ratings, we have the potential to be #1 in the run this year. Hell, we certainly have more than enough backs, and a big, athletic line.

I too am on the 3 year plan . With the whole staff actually. But Manuel most of all. i think the kid is smart enough to grasp what is sounding to be a rather large and complicated playbook. ( thats fits in with all i have seen on the field ) . I also agree he was told to protect the ball. I thought that very early on.

If he can manage the game and Goodwin or someone keep the opposing defense honest ( they will ) Bills have a very good chance to move beyond the regular season. But this is still a developmental season upcoming , so I will preach patience and progress.

If Marrone can run the ball then the rest will be gravy

John from Hemet . I believe he has more than Moore to access .

The Bills said flatout this is our guy. I am quite sure they meant it and know the implications of such a statement . Another reason I am loving this FO.

Are we really going to cite a game against the Jaguars for proof EJ played well? He made some throws last season, but apparently people have forgotten the Pittsburgh and Tampa games where he was plain dreadful.

Consistency is what I don't see from EJ.

Edited by BillsVet

Im not going to get into Madden Boy's credentials of knowing what he does or doesnt know what he is talking about.........im just gonna assume that he has a reason he feels the way he does....

Here are mine.....(as football coach....not at a high level.....but I do understand QB mechanics)

- EJ DOES at times guide his throws.....almost like he tries to be too perfect.........

- I firmly beleive that EJ was told not to turn that ball over......to take what the defense gives and not force throws......anyone notice that his play picks up in crucial times? 2 minute drills......game winning type drives? That is because the gloves come off and EJ is free to try to win the game without the shackles of making the safe throws (back off Hackett)

- Madden Boy....not a call out but if your following along EJ has been working on mechanics all offseason......and now has a coached dedicated to it

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this.

Watch EJ's mechanics.

Many throws here where he looked like an NFL QB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBDqyq_6Oc0

Edited by nucci