FOOTBALL vs Football

T master

The World cup starts today --- SO WHAT !! HOE HUM !!

They (media) all say that the world cup is huge & we have had a lot of people here say in the past that soccer/football is bigger than American football & are by advertisement in the US trying to get us in the US to like the game that around the world is known as football but for me it ain't happening !!

OK sure there may be a lot of interest around the world in soccer & even a bit higher interest here in the US because of all the influx of people from other countries moving here but i like America , & i like American football .

But i think the bigger draw is how much money can be generated by sports bars & such rather than the true interest in the game . Kind of like Cinco de Mayo is becoming a American way to make money ..

Although i learned to appreciate SOCCER when my daughter played it in high school & is a very athletic sport that takes a lot of athleticism & endurance to play BUT IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to American Football !!

American football is much more exciting with the high scoring when Peyton, Brady or ROgers unleash a 60 yd bomb or when a LB or CB intercept a pass & run it back for a pick six , you don't & won't IMHO get that kind of excitement in SOCCER but in football it could happen on any given sunday ...

Go American football / GO BILLS !!!

Edited by T master

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like both kinds of football (futbol), especially the world cup. I am not a soccer hater. I'd rather hate on hockey. I think both soccer and hockey are sports that people who never played struggle to understand the strategy and nuances and therefor struggle to watch.

Real football is played with your hands!

But yeah, I believe football is by far the most exciting sport to follow. It's not just a physical game, the strategy involved really grabs me. It's like athletic chess to me.

I will say, though, that soccer highlights are often mind-blowing. I get so bored of seeing double plays on SC Top 10 plays, but every now and then a soccer play will turn up that is just nuts.

I prefer football to futbol also. But its just a matter of opinion. If you look at it from a global perspective, football is nothing compared to soccer. Its a localized sport popular only in north america.

The Super Bowl seems big, but it still pales in comparison to a World Cup final. There's a more majestic feel about it and its the biggest stage in sport.

No excitement in soccer huh? Go and watch the last 10 minutes of Manchester City vs Queens Park Rangers in 2012. It was the last game of the season. They needed to win the game to win the league title (no playoffs in premiere league soccer, but two cup tournaments, the main prize is the league title though). It was one of the most exciting sporting events I have ever watched. You probably won't even go watch it though because you have programmed yourself not to even give soccer a chance (as many Americans have). Or just watch a Messi, Suarez, Renaldo, highlight reel. Unreal what they can do.

I gave it a chance about 5 or 6 years ago and I like it more and more each year. I love being able to wake up on Saturday and Sunday mornings and watch live games from 7 am till about 2 in the afternoon. It's perfect.

Just watching the skills and ability of a lot of these guys is awe inspiring. In fact, just watch their feet for a few minutes, only their feet, you'll be shocked.

While I am still a American Football fan over Soccer, I have come to enjoy it as another sport to watch. But to compare the two is simply not fair, it's a totally different game. Soccer is low scoring, yes, but the rush of excitement from a goal or from a huge save on what should have been a goal is tremendous. Or to see a team wear down right before your eyes in the last 15 minutes of a game because they have already ran about 7 miles while the other team is still going strong and now dominates because of their fitness level. It's great. Oh and there is plenty of contact and rough play in soccer to entertain me as well.

No one ever said you had to like it more than Football, but to not even give it a chance and proclaim it boring is just dumb in my opinion. But I also like baseball, so take that for what it's worth!

Edited by Mark80

They (media) all say that the world cup is huge & we have had a lot of people here say in the past that soccer/football is bigger than American football & are by advertisement in the US trying to get us in the US to like the game that around the world is known as football but for me it ain't happening !!

OK sure there may be a lot of interest around the world in soccer & even a bit higher interest here in the US because of all the influx of people from other countries moving here but i like America , & i like American football .

But i think the bigger draw is how much money can be generated by sports bars & such rather than the true interest in the game . Kind of like Cinco de Mayo is becoming a American way to make money ..

Although i learned to appreciate SOCCER when my daughter played it in high school & is a very athletic sport that takes a lot of athleticism & endurance to play BUT IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to American Football !!

American football is much more exciting with the high scoring when Peyton, Brady or ROgers unleash a 60 yd bomb or when a LB or CB intercept a pass & run it back for a pick six , you don't & won't IMHO get that kind of excitement in SOCCER but in football it could happen on any given sunday ...

A big difference too is they have not changed the rules of soccer for TV. There are no timeouts, no TV timeouts, no swapping of offense and defensive squads etc. that are a great place for commercials.

I for one find American football maddening to watch live due to all the time wasting. The only worse one is baseball. I enjoy watching Bills games without commercials. But I enjoy watching quality soccer even more.

Watching English or Spanish Premier league soccer for example, or World Cup now, is very entertaining. However watching MLS is like watching a high school game. If what people are judging soccer on is what we see in the MLS, do yourselves a favor and watch some of the world cup. I don't expect everyone to love it or to necessarily think it is a better sport to watch than American football. But there is no reason people with an open mind could not enjoy both. The rest of the world embraces what Americans call soccer, maybe it's time for some of the more closed minded Americans to see why instead of just considering it an attack on the sport they grew up with.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I like both kinds of football (futbol), especially the world cup. I am not a soccer hater. I'd rather hate on hockey. I think both soccer and hockey are sports that people who never played struggle to understand the strategy and nuances and therefor struggle to watch.

You are right. I knew the guy who was the Comissioner of the long defunct North American Soccer League. He once told me that it takes three generations of people playing the sport to popularize it as a spectator sport. We are just now reaching that point.

Edited by chris heff

I can watch World CUp soccer because it's the best there is so much more on the line. But there's a lot I can't stand about soccer too. The two biggest things are injury time and penalty shots...and diving, okay three things.

It boggles my mind that a sport that with constant rumors of fixing matches allows referees to practically pick a winner on one call. Ref calls a penalty in the goal zone and a penalty kick is 90% a free goal. In sport where it's so hard to score they have a penalty where it's almost impossible not to score.

Then there's penalty time. A ref arbitrarily decides how much time is left to a game. A team is down by a goal and the ref can just let the game go on and on and on. To me that's insane. Do they not have countdown clocks in Europe?

Then there are the red and yellow cards mostly handed out because the other team is better at acting like a player broke every bone in his body, then gets up and scores a goal and leaps 10 feet in the air a minute later.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

international professional rugby is so much more fun to watch than soccer. way more action and strategy...and the players don't flop like bitches.

the only drawback is that there are only about 8-10 countries playing at the top level...and even then there are only 4-5 serious contenders for the world cup. but the games are not won 1-0 on penalty kicks and punctuated by flops and phantom calls. that, and they don't murder the refs.

I can watch World CUp soccer because it's the best there is so much more on the line. But there's a lot I can't stand about soccer too. The two biggest things are injury time and penalty shots...and diving, okay three things.

It boggles my mind that a sport that with constant rumors of fixing matches allows referees to practically pick a winner on one call. Ref calls a penalty in the goal zone and a penalty kick is 90% a free goal. In sport where it's so hard to score they have a penalty where it's almost impossible not to score.

Then there's penalty time. A ref arbitrarily decides how much time is left to a game. A team is down by a goal and the ref can just let the game go on and on and on. To me that's insane. Do they not have countdown clocks in Europe?

Then there are the red and yellow cards mostly handed out because the other team is better at acting like a player broke every bone in his body, then gets up and scores a goal and leaps 10 feet in the air a minute later.

Yeah diving is a big problem in both soccer and hockey. You see "simulation" (diving) yellow cards being given in soccer some now. But it needs to be enforced more in my opinion.

Penalty kicks are necessary otherwise any time someone got any kind of a good look in close, a defender would just tackle them. This is actually no different than a PI call in football, particularly in the end zone.

it's extra time, not penalty time. And it is to make up for time wasted when players go down (dive or otherwise), time to reset the game after a goal, a player intentionally delaying a game to milk the clock etc. It is also not arbitrary, though it does look that way. Yes they could switch to a countdown clock and stop it in the time wasting cases (that would make it more TV friendly as well to insert commercials), but the ruling body prefers to stick with the traditional way which is that the referee keeps the official time. The one on the scoreboard is merely for the convenience of the spectators.

The cards are mainly to prevent injuries. If the ref sees any kind of dangerous play, even if no one is injured, a card will be given. Reds get you ejected and also an immediate suspension for a couple games. Two yellows in the same game equals a red. And the yellows accumulate across games such that if you get so many in a season you are also suspended for games. Again, not so much different than a headshot for example in football. Except that even the attempt can get you a card in soccer, regardless if it connects or not.

In my best "W" voice: "In otha wurds... 'Merica!"

Most boring sport in the world. I can't stand soccer.

Football and Hockey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> soccer

I'd rather never watch another sport the rest of my life then endure a soccer match

Edited by Snorom

Any game/sport that can drone on for 90+ minutes nearly nonstop and routinely end in a (scoreless, even) tie cannot command my attention.

As opposed to a game with 60 minutes on the clock that can drone on for 3 hours or more you mean? :)

Edited by CodeMonkey