World Cup Thread

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LoL... Awesome! Can the Nancy Boy drama get any worse!

Hey... I am gonna like soccer... Hope to get more different teams in there! Is there a way for the US and Ghana to knock Germany out too?

It would be great to see not one Western European team qualify... I dream!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Agreed. And the women's World Cup is great too (I have summers off so I watch a lot).

I hope this will bring some young kids to soccer who normally won't play it. That's our biggest disadvantage. Football is the number #1 sport in pretty much every country but ours. There are tons of athletes playing other sports who would be stars if they grew up playing soccer.

Freddy Adu crapped out pretty hard huh?

Disclaimer: I like soccer. I played it through high school. I like the World Cup.

There is ONE reason why soccer is the "most popular" sport worldwide. Lack of equipment required. That's it. You need a ball and a field. The poorest of the poor can compete against the richest of the rich, because there are no innate advantages the wealthy have vis-a-vis learning and playing the game. Anyone can kick a ball around a field. It is the world's sport. That does not make it the best sport, the most entertaining sport, the most exciting sport, or the most fun sport to play.

Is anyone going to argue soccer is more exciting/entertaining to watch than any of the North American-based sports (football, baseball, basketball, hockey)? Well, maybe baseball, but it's close. Out of 90+ minutes of "action" you may see two or three "exciting" plays.

I wish soccer fans in the US would just embrace this reality and stop continually wishing/hoping/predicting professional soccer will grow to the level of our other professional sports, from a TV watching perspective (aside from the US playing in the World Cup). It just ain't gonna happen.

So, did Italy crap the bed today or what?

Disclaimer: I like soccer. I played it through high school. I like the World Cup.

Is anyone going to argue soccer is more exciting/entertaining to watch than any of the North American-based sports (football, baseball, basketball, hockey)?

I like watching soccer more than any other sport. American football is a very close second. I won't try to make an argument because that's stupid. Soccer just has a drama and a flow that is unique and I enjoy it very much.

I wish soccer fans in the US would just embrace this reality and stop continually wishing/hoping/predicting professional soccer will grow to the level of our other professional sports, from a TV watching perspective (aside from the US playing in the World Cup). It just ain't gonna happen.

I'm not wishing for anything. I love the game of soccer just the way it is. I don't really care if it grows or not, as long as I keep getting to watch it on TV. I don't care if other people like it. I don't care what the level of popularity is. I just actually enjoy it. I'm not on a campaign about it.

Yes.

There is ONE reason why soccer is the "most popular" sport worldwide. Lack of equipment required. That's it. You need a ball and a field. The poorest of the poor can compete against the richest of the rich, because there are no innate advantages the wealthy have vis-a-vis learning and playing the game. Anyone can kick a ball around a field. It is the world's sport. That does not make it the best sport, the most entertaining sport, the most exciting sport, or the most fun sport to play.

Is anyone going to argue soccer is more exciting/entertaining to watch than any of the North American-based sports (football, baseball, basketball, hockey)? Well, maybe baseball, but it's close. Out of 90+ minutes of "action" you may see two or three "exciting" plays.

Also a big reason that Basketball is very popular internationally and growing at a very high rate.

I'll have to see footage of the biting before I'll know what happened.

It was a bite.

Bq6eTFfCMAIfZ5Y.jpg

https://twitter.com/RAWK_Meltdown

8d0f78146673486d2d8bb2a0977880e8_normal.pngRAWK Meltdown @RAWK_Meltdown · 20m

(Suarez bites Chiellini) He didn't bite him...he attacked him with his teeth.

RAWK Meltdown @RAWK_Meltdown · 26m

(Suarez bites Chiellini) Strangely,I feel sorry for Suarez.

8d0f78146673486d2d8bb2a0977880e8_normal.pngRAWK Meltdown @RAWK_Meltdown · 56m

Criticising Suarez for trying to bite someone is a bit like criticising Sinatra for singing My Way at his concerts.

https://vine.co/v/MtJdrthpWrg

It was a bite.

Bq6eTFfCMAIfZ5Y.jpg

https://twitter.com/RAWK_Meltdown

8d0f78146673486d2d8bb2a0977880e8_normal.pngRAWK Meltdown @RAWK_Meltdown · 20m

(Suarez bites Chiellini) He didn't bite him...he attacked him with his teeth.

RAWK Meltdown @RAWK_Meltdown · 26m

(Suarez bites Chiellini) Strangely,I feel sorry for Suarez.

8d0f78146673486d2d8bb2a0977880e8_normal.pngRAWK Meltdown @RAWK_Meltdown · 56m

Criticising Suarez for trying to bite someone is a bit like criticising Sinatra for singing My Way at his concerts.

https://vine.co/v/MtJdrthpWrg

Again, I want to see the footage.