World Cup Thread

Gaaaaaah!

Tough watching the US not able to play possession soccer and burn some clock. It was a great pass and finish--nothing taken away on that.

Ghana-Portugal tie sends US through. US win sends US through. US tie sends US through.

I say Jurgen calls in some favors and the US and Germany just pass the ball around for 90 minutes and both advance.

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicken or the egg. Bradley gave that ball away at midfield.

I was going to say something about Bradley giving the ball up, it was happening all game, to the the team. Still Cameron, with a terrible attempt to clear on the first goal and in a horrible position on the 2nd.

I say Jurgen calls in some favors and the US and Germany just pass the ball around for 90 minutes and both advance.

You'd think they'd have a rule...

I'm not sure which game to watch Thursday. US-Germany could be a real snooze-fest, given that both teams will play to not lose.

I was going to say something about Bradley giving the ball up, it was happening all game, to the the team. Still Cameron, with a terrible attempt to clear on the first goal and in a horrible position on the 2nd.

And thoroughly passive on the second. If he runs into the ball, instead of waiting for it to come to him. And Ronaldo has nobody on him down the side - yes, you defend the center of the field, and let the opponent dick around on the sidelines in that situation, but for God's sake, don't let the best player in the world set up that cross at his leisure...

And thoroughly passive on the second. If he runs into the ball, instead of waiting for it to come to him. And Ronaldo has nobody on him down the side - yes, you defend the center of the field, and let the opponent dick around on the sidelines in that situation, but for God's sake, don't let the best player in the world set up that cross at his leisure...

Some of that is on Klinsman. He had the US keep the high pressure on the throw in (they showed him motioning the team to stay forward and not retreat) so they were caught upfield more than they could have been.

Really hard to blame Cameron on goal 2. It was a perfect pass to the only place where his guy could get a head on it. The midfield giveaway was worse. Michael Michael Michael.

I see people elsewhere calling for Bradley to be pulled but he's the best possession player and playmaker they have. Great first half. Bad second. And overall, bad Cup for him.

Now for the hard game.

Dempsey's pecker-goal would be legendary if not for that ending.

Edited by John Adams

Some of that is on Klinsman. He had the US keep the high pressure on the throw in (they showed him motioning the team to stay forward and not retreat) so they were caught upfield more than they could have been.

Really hard to blame Cameron on goal 2. It was a perfect pass to the only place where his guy could get a head on it. The midfield giveaway was worse. Michael Michael Michael.

I see people elsewhere calling for Bradley to be pulled but he's the best possession player and playmaker they have. Great first half. Bad second. And overall, bad Cup for him.

Now for the hard game.

Dempsey's pecker-goal would be legendary if not for that ending.

Perfect assessment.

Nothing to add.

So what happens now? Draw w/Germany and they are in? What happens if they lose to those pesky Germs. ??

Lots of ways for the US to advance: US win, US tie, Ghana-Portugal tie, all advance US. And US loss with right goal counts in the other game also advances them. US are currently up 2 goals on Ghana in goal differential and 5 on Portugal.

Unless Portugal wins in a rout and the US loses in a rout, a Portugal win would be great news for the US. So while you're watching when you take off from work on Thursday at noon, keep an eye on both games (played at the same time as always on the last day).

They did a great job defending and then holding the ball during the extra time, but man, once Portugal had possession in the last 30 seconds you'd think they'd have retreated a bit. In football terms it looks like they left Megatron with one-on-one coverage on the last play of the game.

What a gut kick.

Lots of ways for the US to advance: US win, US tie, Ghana-Portugal tie, all advance US. And US loss with right goal counts in the other game also advances them. US are currently up 2 goals on Ghana in goal differential and 5 on Portugal.

Unless Portugal wins in a rout and the US loses in a rout, a Portugal win would be great news for the US. So while you're watching when you take off from work on Thursday at noon, keep an eye on both games (played at the same time as always on the last day).

Thanx!

I am off and going on midnight shift for Friday morning. But I will be paying attention in only a truly patriotic capacity! :nana: :nana:

You know JA, soccer is still a "train wreck." You can't help but watch @ all the flopping and grand behavior IF they score.

J/K... :D

Could there be collusion?

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/1903940/jurgen-klinsmann-says-2-2-draw-vs-portugal-was-an-amazing-performance-for-united-states

"U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann said Sunday's 2-2 Group G World Cup draw vs. Portugal was 'an amazing performance' for United States, despite Silvestre Varela's last second equaliser, and denied that he would enter into any type of collusion this Thursday with his colleague, Germany coach Joachim Low in their match-up..."

My worst fear for Thursday is we lose narrowly to Germany and Ghana ROLLS Portugal. I can see Portugals spirit being down and out, coupled with a short turnaround from Manaus equalling them laying down and taking a Ghanaean beat down.

Could there be collusion?

http://www.espnfc.co...r-united-states

"U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann said Sunday's 2-2 Group G World Cup draw vs. Portugal was 'an amazing performance' for United States, despite Silvestre Varela's last second equaliser, and denied that he would enter into any type of collusion this Thursday with his colleague, Germany coach Joachim Low in their match-up..."

I don't think anyone will play for the biscotto.

Lieber Joachim,

Wie wäre es wenn wir nur kick den Ball um für 90 Minuten am Donnerstag?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Jürgen

My worst fear for Thursday is we lose narrowly to Germany and Ghana ROLLS Portugal. I can see Portugals spirit being down and out, coupled with a short turnaround from Manaus equalling them laying down and taking a Ghanaean beat down.

Portugal is pretty much out, but expect them to play hard for a half. If it's close at the half, they might hold out for pride.

Portugal is pretty much out, but expect them to play hard for a half. If it's close at the half, they might hold out for pride.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but they don't seem like a prideful bunch. Ghana is talented and has a shot. I'm afraid Portugal may give up.

I have to record and watch later tonight. Turning my phone off at 6:00.

So so hard to wait. The anticipation is killing me.

This guy is in for something. Gonna be waking the neighbors up come 95th minute.

Yeah, the 2-0 Ghana win and the 1-0 US loss is absolutely possible.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but they don't seem like a prideful bunch. Ghana is talented and has a shot. I'm afraid Portugal may give up.

This guy is in for something. Gonna be waking the neighbors up come 95th minute.

Eff Ghana. They are not spoiling this party.

Yeah, the 2-0 Ghana win and the 1-0 US loss is absolutely possible.

FIFA's tiebreaking procedures for group play

• Greatest number of points obtained in all the group matches

• Goal difference in the group matches (right now: USA = +1, Ghana = -1, Portugal = -4)

• Greatest number of goals scored in the group matches (right now: USA = 4, Ghana = 3, Portugal = 2)

• Head-to-head comparison (USA over Ghana, even w/Portugal)

• Drawing of lots (God forbid)

So root for Portugal over Ghana but not by too much. If Ghana wins by 1 and the USA loses by 1 we get in because of head-to-head over Ghana. Also hope that we score a couple of goals even in a loss to Germany. Every edge helps.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Goal difference in the group matches (right now: USA = +1, Ghana = -1, Portugal = -4)

• Greatest number of goals scored in the group matches (right now: USA = 4, Ghana = 3, Portugal = 2)

So root for Portugal over Ghana but not by too much. If Ghana wins by 1 and the USA loses by 1 we get in because of head-to-head over Ghana. Also hope that we score a couple of goals even in a loss to Germany. Every edge helps.

Portugal over Ghana will be fine. They won't make up a 5 goal differential and if they do, the wheels are truly off. If Germany goes up by 1, they will park the bus and not take any chances, risk injury, etc. Remember: All the Germans need is a tie to win the group. 0-0 is the same as 10-0 for them.

If you'd have said the US would be in this position a week ago, I'd have been thrilled. I don't expect that the US will be disheartened for more than a day. They just tied one of the best teams in the world and outplayed them for most of the match in a game that Portugal desperately needed.

Edited by John Adams