World Cup Thread

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Germany and Ghana tying is the best scenario by for for the USA. With a draw against Portugal they advance, I believe. Am I wrong here?

If head-to-head is the first tiebreaker, here's how it shakes out:

Say the USA ties. That gives them 4pts. Ghana can only get 4pts. But the USA should hold the advantage having beaten them.

Portugal can only get 4pts assuming they tie the USA. Goal differential would be the tiebreaker here. The USA has a 5 goal advantage there. So as long as the USA didn't lose and Portugal doesn't beat Ghana by a combined 5 goals, the USA advances.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Germany and Ghana tying is the best scenario by for for the USA. With a draw against Portugal they advance, I believe. Am I wrong here?

If head-to-head is the first tiebreaker, here's how it shakes out:

Say the USA ties. That gives them 4pts. Ghana can only get 4pts. But the USA should hold the advantage having beaten them.

Portugal can only get 4pts assuming they tie the USA. Goal differential would be the tiebreaker here. The USA has a 5 goal advantage there. So as long as the USA didn't lose and Portugal doesn't beat Ghana by a combined 5 goals, the USA advances.

Goal differential is first tie breaker so this was not ideal but USA#1 just needs to beat Portugal and they're in. The group will be tight.

Goal differential is first tie breaker so this was not ideal but USA#1 just needs to beat Portugal and they're in. The group will be tight.

The USA still has a 2 goal differential advantage over Ghana. But you're right, Ghana losing would have been better.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Bosnia knocked out on a terrible call but Eden Dzeko could kiss my ass. Never have I seen a player look so disinterested in such a big game.

Props to Pjanic. Played a great game. Deserved much better.

I'm not saying they aren't quality but they still are on paper one of the weakest teams in the tournament. Of course italy always plays badly against weak opponents but i expected a 0-0 tie not a loss.

That trap is a killer. Costa Rica is a tight team--not something many of the other squads can say, which is why the "on paper" all-star teams sometimes struggle.

This group remains a total cluster. A German win would have made their last game vs. the US meaningless. That was best-case. Now Germany will be out for the win against the US and no offense to us, but that's bad news. We don't have the counter that Ghana has and can't out set-piece the Germans. A lot on the line tonight.

One thing that's simple: Win and they are in.

They have a one goal lead since they won 2-1.

I believe PTR is correct. The lead is 2. Here are the differentials. USA:+1 Ghana: -1.

If we happen to lose by one goal today, our differential would be even. Still 1 ahead of Ghana.

Edit: It won't matter either way after we win today. Go USA!

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I believe PTR is correct. The lead is 2. Here are the differentials. USA:+1 Ghana: -1.

If we happen to lose by one goal today, our differential would be even. Still 1 ahead of Ghana.

Edit: It won't matter either way after we win today. Go USA!

Yup I'm stupid.

That trap is a killer. Costa Rica is a tight team--not something many of the other squads can say, which is why the "on paper" all-star teams sometimes struggle.

This group remains a total cluster. A German win would have made their last game vs. the US meaningless. That was best-case. Now Germany will be out for the win against the US and no offense to us, but that's bad news. We don't have the counter that Ghana has and can't out set-piece the Germans. A lot on the line tonight.

One thing that's simple: Win and they are in.

Yes that's true. If one thing that has been Roma's downfall is putting up a masterful performance against the top clubs and then not being able to beat teams that park the bus. What scares me is how off Chiellini has looked. Now that De Rossi is officially ruled out against Uruguay, it will be even tougher to contain Suarez and the Matador.

Good luck against Portugal. If anything, USA advancing will keep this thread alive :D

Once again I find myself nervously awaiting this game. This time it's on a weekend day though, so I have been drinking pretty steadily. Who will step up! Who will attempt to fill Jozy's cleats?

I hope and think it needs to be Bradley. I also hope Dempsey's nose doesn't gas him out.