World Cup Thread

It starts on Thursday. An awesome month of soccer.

The USMNT opens on Sunday in a must win match against a team that has haunted them in the past: Ghana. If the US has any chance of getting out of their brutal bracket, they have to beat Ghana then steal a point against Germany or Portugal. I doubt their defense is up to the task though.

I always love the style of play difference between countries. The US plays a forward downhill style (that isn't always good). There is no rolling around after soft contact like the Italians or South Americans. The Germans are precise and tough. Brazil and Argentina are like the old LA Lakers: Showtime but the ultimate drama queens. Spain plays the perfect team game with slow possession and build up to attack.

Nothing like it--hope the US can pull off a miracle advancement from the bracket.

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the chances Christiano Ronaldo plays on June 22nd? Sounds like he is practicing with the team, but on a limited basis. His injury sounds rather benign, but reading some articles, it seems pretty serious.

It would be like playing the Miami Heat without LeBron. I am a casual soccer fan, but during the World Cup I become a fanatic. Can't wait until Ghana!

I was going to start t thread on a related topic , but hope this do. Heard Howard and Jeremy bring up this topic, and thought it was interesting.

Certainly, I will be rooting for the United States to win. However, based on all the expert opinions it seems we may have a difficult time getting out of the first round. Having said that, they were talking about who should be your backup team?

I really do not have a dog in that fight, but I think I will go with Argentina as a guy I work with is from Argentina and he is extremely excited. I think ghana would be cool to root for if we don't get past them as well.

I always like to read for the underdog, so for you guys that know soccer is there another team out there that has a real opportunity to upset ?

I'm really excited. Here's one way I can guarantee that this WC will be better than the last: No !@#$ing vuvuzelas!

I was going to start t thread on a related topic , but hope this do. Heard Howard and Jeremy bring up this topic, and thought it was interesting.

Certainly, I will be rooting for the United States to win. However, based on all the expert opinions it seems we may have a difficult time getting out of the first round. Having said that, they were talking about who should be your backup team?

I really do not have a dog in that fight, but I think I will go with Argentina as a guy I work with is from Argentina and he is extremely excited. I think ghana would be cool to root for if we don't get past them as well.

I always like to read for the underdog, so for you guys that know soccer is there another team out there that has a real opportunity to upset ?

I like to root for the Netherlands. They usually play an exciting, attacking game which is fun to watch. I find myself rooting for the nations that play the beautiful game and don't resort to diving and faking injuries and packing everyone into their own box to grind out scoreless draws.

It's a shame my two favorite teams (USA and Deutschland) are in the same group -- but at least I know one of them is likely to advance! Would be ideal if somehow the Americans can beat Ghana and Portugal so they both make it.

I'm really excited. Here's one way I can guarantee that this WC will be better than the last: No !@#$ing vuvuzelas!

I like to root for the Netherlands. They usually play an exciting, attacking game which is fun to watch. I find myself rooting for the nations that play the beautiful game and don't resort to diving and faking injuries and packing everyone into their own box to grind out scoreless draws.

I've never heard it referred to as "The Beautiful Game" (and I played soccer) but I see your point. It is a very interesting game to watch when passes are crisp, the offense flows, and the "dives" are limited. I'll keep an eye out for the Netherlands.

I look forward to the World Cup as much as the superbowl.

Will be cheering for Germany and the Netherlands as always. Will also be rooting for Mesut Ozil to win the golden boot. Players that struggle on the German squad prior always seem to break out at the World Cup stage.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I have a feeling I may be hated during this month because I will be the only one rooting for Portugal lol

CBF

After watching Mexistan outplay Portunam for 92 minutes, I'd say thats a strange bandwagon to get on. Theres still some room on ours.

I've never heard it referred to as "The Beautiful Game" (and I played soccer) but I see your point. It is a very interesting game to watch when passes are crisp, the offense flows, and the "dives" are limited. I'll keep an eye out for the Netherlands.

The Spain vs. Netherlands game this Friday is one to watch. It's a rematch of the 2010 WC final. Also, it's two of the most fun teams to watch.

Edited by Cugalabanza

U.S. of course.

Back up teams in order of preference:

Netherlands (because of style of play and my wife is from there)(I should mention that I am no longer a fan of RVP because of what he did to Arsenal).

England (affinity for country and I am familiar with and like the players because of time watching Premier League - and also because of Arsenal players. Arsenal is my club team)

Germany (a bit counterintuitive because they are huge rivals with the Netherlands. They have three Arsenal players. Plus, because of Juergen and his successor, they have completely changed their style from very boring to a good style. If I were a betting man, I think Germany probably wins the World Cup unless they get hometowned by Brazil).

I'll be rooting for Italy obviously but I'll also be rooting for Roma players to do well.

Special shout out to Gervinho (Cote d'ivoire), Maicon (Brazil),Pjanic (Bosnia), Bradley (USA), Lukaku (Possible future Roma player :D)

I'll be rooting for Italy obviously but I'll also be rooting for Roma players to do well.

Special shout out to Gervinho (Cote d'ivoire), Maicon (Brazil),Pjanic (Bosnia), Bradley (USA), Lukaku (Belgium/Possible future Roma player :D)

I always thought that the US team was at it's best playing in a compact form of defense, operating with a rapid counter attack. That is what we saw this last game vs Nigeria and if you guys remembered when we basically beat most of Spain's A team and nearly beat Brazil in the Confederation's cup of 2009. And don't forget, Spain was #1 in the world on an epic winning streak.

That's the way to go, compact defense with a vicious counter.

Oh, and that chest trap, cut in and finish from Jozy Altidore, was World Class!

And Bradley, what a magnificent game, he indeed is our play making midfielder. Love that guy!

And This never gets

:worthy:

Edited by Magox

John Oliver did a segment on FIFA last night, it was hilarious and figured it belongs here: NSFW due to language.

The 2022 Qatar world cup should not happen. It's disgusting.

But Fifa and Formula 1 will go anywhere in the world as long as it can. And yet these are the two biggest sports followed by Europeans.

I thought they were the enlightened ones?

What? I can see maybe how he's overhyped, but he legitimately has crazy skills. He will be a golden boot contender.

He was supposed to tear up la liga with Messi. In reality, they didn't win the liga or the champions league. That for Barcelona is a disaster.

He was supposed to tear up la liga with Messi. In reality, they didn't win the liga or the champions league. That for Barcelona is a disaster.

Yeah, I cannot believe that Spain had both CL final teams and neither was Barcelona. I didn't watch an yla liga this year. I can only judge Neimar from the few times I've seen him play with the Brazil NT. My impressions up to this point are:

speed - CHECK

first touch - CHECK

finishing instinct - CHECK

cocky striker egomaniacal diva attitude - CHECK

He also seems like a huge douche-hole, but I don't think that will prevent him from scoring a bunch of goals in the WC.

I love that we're facing Germany and Portugal in the Group stage. I enjoy seeing how we perform against the best teams in the world more than whether or not we advance from the group stage. However, with Germany (my other rooting interest as my ancestral/heritage team) being in our group, it does make it difficult to watch two full games on Group G match days.

Yeah, I cannot believe that Spain had both CL final teams and neither was Barcelona. I didn't watch an yla liga this year. I can only judge Neimar from the few times I've seen him play with the Brazil NT. My impressions up to this point are:

speed - CHECK

first touch - CHECK

finishing instinct - CHECK

cocky striker egomaniacal diva attitude - CHECK

He also seems like a huge douche-hole, but I don't think that will prevent him from scoring a bunch of goals in the WC.

Neymar is the savior here in Brazil. He is loved by everybody He is not a douche-hole. He takes pictures with many fans and more often then not, he takes the picture for them.

His only downfall is size. If they put a big defender on him, he struggles. Therefore, the rest of the team needs to step up as all attention will be on Neymar.

Dont be surprised to see Brazil win this tournament. If they get bounced early, the riots will be Thurman Thomasin' : ON LIKE A MOFO!

I think it's gonna be awfully difficult to beat Brazil in Brazil..

Having said that, in my view there has never been anyone with the ball skils of Neymar.

If you are a fan of soccer, I promise, you won't regret it.

Once again. !@#$ Neymar. https://www.youtube....h?v=lAR6KqxmGoA

The Brazilians (and Italians) are drama queens but they can play the game.

To borrow from other sports, the Brazilians are like a team of Terrell Owens's and Danny Ainge's. They are annoying as all F%^& but they are really good.

Edited by John Adams

I was listening to some talking heads yesterday and they labelled him as "diver".

Of course he is. Doesn't mean he's not an amazing player and doesn't mean that the highlights from this World Cup won't be dominated by him.

But he's no Messi in terms of what Americans would prefer to see. Messi has the crazy skills and refuses to go down when hit.