World Cup Thread

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrible officiating once again in the Dutch/Spain game.

Is this the corruption we all heard about prior?

Are you talking about the dive that resulted in the penalty kick?

I can understand how the ref made that call. There was definitely contact between the left legs of both players. Although I do agree it was a dive because the Spaniard could've easily kept his balance since his right leg was his weight bearing leg at that point. But a tough call to make at full speed.

Also - it is an Italian ref - so he should be competent

Edited by linksfiend

The blazing speed and combination of ball control of Robben on the one goal was soooooooo impressivel. That didn't look like a 30 year old soccer player.

When I first saw Robben play, what stood out to me was his elite speed. That guy would be a nightmare to cover if he's running at ya

Are you talking about the dive that resulted in the penalty kick?

I can understand how the ref made that call. There was definitely contact between the left legs of both players. Although I do agree it was a dive because the Spaniard could've easily kept his balance since his right leg was his weight bearing leg at that point. But a tough call to make at full speed.

Also - it is an Italian ref - so he should be competent

Ah I'm watching the game now. Rizzolli, :lol: Well they 're not all good in Italy

What a goal by RVP. Spain had plenty of opportunities to increase their lead and wasted those opportunities.

Shout out to Kevin Strootman who would have been there had he not had a season ending injury. Vice captain of the dutch.

As a casual soccer observer, and someone who found they really liked the FA and Euro Cup finals last month, i found the opening game of the cup absolutely horrific, both the flopping and the reffing. Pathetic childish display by a bunch of small dicked brazilians. Games like that are why a large portion of americans simply cannot stand soccer.

I was looking forward to the world cup, but watching that as the opening game for the tournament sucked a lot of life out of me. I'll watch 'Murica but i'm already having a tough time tuning into that crap.

Edited by Ramius

...instant replay...

Please, god, no!

As someone who really loves the sport of soccer (not just a fan of other popular U.S. Sports who wishes soccer to more closely resemble other major U.S. Sports), please do not get started with instant replay.

When I first saw Robben play, what stood out to me was his elite speed. That guy would be a nightmare to cover if he's running at ya

Yeah, he is world class, no doubt. And his touch+vision...genius.

I think that Spain is not cooked just yet. They showed up lazy and now they have their wake up call. They will bounce back and go deep in this tournament. The thing I take from this game is shame on all the analysts for not taking Netherlsnds seriously before now.

As a casual soccer observer, and someone who found they really liked the FA and Euro Cup finals last month, i found the opening game of the cup absolutely horrific, both the flopping and the reffing. Pathetic childish display by a bunch of small dicked brazilians. Games like that are why a large portion of americans simply cannot stand soccer.

I was looking forward to the world cup, but watching that as the opening game for the tournament sucked a lot of life out of me. I'll watch 'Murica but i'm already having a tough time tuning into that crap.

Americans don't like soccer because they don't understand the game.

Please, god, no!

As someone who really loves the sport of soccer (not just a fan of other popular U.S. Sports who wishes soccer to more closely resemble other major U.S. Sports), please do not get started with instant replay.

Yeah, he is world class, no doubt. And his touch+vision...genius.

I think that Spain is not cooked just yet. They showed up lazy and now they have their wake up call. They will bounce back and go deep in this tournament. The thing I take from this game is shame on all the analysts for not taking Netherlsnds seriously before now.

I didn't rate holland either. They have rvp and robben who are top players but the rest don't inspire me. De jong sucked ass all year. Let's see if they can continue.

With regards to spain, maybe teams have finally figured out how to stop the tiki tak? I'm not sad they lost after how they beat italy in 2012 final.

Ditto. That opening game really disgusted me and severely dampened my enthusiasm for the World Cup.

Americans don't like soccer because they don't understand the game.

Keep selling yourself that banal excuse. There's not much difficulty in understanding an abysmal lack of integrity and sportsmanship.

Keep selling yourself that banal excuse. There's not much difficulty in understanding an abysmal lack of integrity and sportsmanship.

You're right. We all prefer players that literally try to paralyze each other on the ice in hockey.

Every sport has its faults but it gets annoying when every post starts with, "I watched but I don't think Americans will ever like soccer".

Don't like it? Plenty of other things to watch on tv. Me? I adore it.

You're right. We all prefer players that literally try to paralyze each other on the ice in hockey.

Every sport has its faults but it gets annoying when every post starts with, "I watched but I don't think Americans will ever like soccer".

I was thinking something similar. With regard to the "flopping" and inconsistent officiating that goes on in soccer. I think it is just as bad, if not worse, in basketball. Admittedly, I am not an avid soccer follower, but I really get into the World Cup. I enjoyed the hell out of that Spain/Netherlands game. What incredible athletes. Looking forward to Italy/England too.

I was thinking something similar. With regard to the "flopping" and inconsistent officiating that goes on in soccer. I think it is just as bad, if not worse, in basketball. Admittedly, I am not an avid soccer follower, but I really get into the World Cup. I enjoyed the hell out of that Spain/Netherlands game. What incredible athletes. Looking forward to Italy/England too.

I'm nervous about Italy England. I think Italy on paper is much better than England but this team seems uninspired. That Spain game is a mystery to me. They should have been up 3-0 before Holland started scoring. Lazy defending.

Exactly, if you don't like soccer don't watch it. I love the World Cup, that header by the Dutch yesterday was amazing. The creativity on scoring plays is a complete joy to watch.

Exactly, if you don't like soccer don't watch it. I love the World Cup, that header by the Dutch yesterday was amazing. The creativity on scoring plays is a complete joy to watch.

Ditto. Would I change some things about soccer, e.g., the diving? Sure. But I could say that about any sport.

Soccer is a fantastic game and there is no sporting event in the world that is even close to as thrilling as the World Cup. I have watched every match so far, and though I doubt I can keep that streak going realistically, I intend to come as close as I can.

I'm nervous about Italy England. I think Italy on paper is much better than England but this team seems uninspired. That Spain game is a mystery to me. They should have been up 3-0 before Holland started scoring. Lazy defending.

van Persie and Robben played out of their minds. They will be formidable.

This Uraguay v Costa Rica game isn't bad.

That was one of the more entertaining matches I've ever watched.

+1

Great half. Both teams applying the pressure.

Turned it on just in time to watch them trade goals.

But to me, the most entertaining part is, between the announcers' accents and jargon, trying to figure out just what the !@#$ they are saying.

That was one of the more entertaining matches I've ever watched.

Turned it on just in time to watch them trade goals.

But to me, the most entertaining part is, between the announcers' accents and jargon, trying to figure out just what the !@#$ they are saying.

Rather an incendiary fixture, this one.

My daughter landed in Costa Rica this afternoon at about kick off with her grandparents. We sent her with her Costa Rican jersey. No doubt she landed in a national party. Absolutely deserved and well-earned win.

The England-Italy game is fantastic. Great patient chess match. Joe Hart looks as crappy as he did when the US beat them on that junk goal.

Great game. Pirlo is a genius.

That late free kick was amazing.

Italy was the better team. Excellent play from two very good teams. Seeing them play is the reason that the US cannot win a Cup yet--we couldn't match that style.