World Cup Thread

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto. Would I change some things about soccer, e.g., the diving? Sure. But I could say that about any sport.

Soccer is a fantastic game and there is no sporting event in the world that is even close to as thrilling as the World Cup. I have watched every match so far, and though I doubt I can keep that streak going realistically, I intend to come as close as I can.

I agree, every sport has its flaws and once you understand soccer the game is great to watch. I haven't missed any action yet but I have obligations from 5am to noon tomorrow so I'll miss those games live but will definitely TiVo them.

My daughter landed in Costa Rica this afternoon at about kick off with her grandparents. We sent her with her Costa Rican jersey. No doubt she landed in a national party. Absolutely deserved and well-earned win.

The England-Italy game is fantastic. Great patient chess match. Joe Hart looks as crappy as he did when the US beat them on that junk goal.

Wow, that is some seriously great timing. If you wouldn't mind asking her for a paragraph trip report I would love to read about her experience amidst the celebration.

Wow, that is some seriously great timing. If you wouldn't mind asking her for a paragraph trip report I would love to read about her experience amidst the celebration.

Yeah. We haven't heard from her yet but she's a huge soccer fan so no doubt she's having fun.

Americans don't like soccer because they don't understand the game.

I played my whole life all the way through high school. Was a part of some pretty successful teams and had the opportunity to be coached by some people that really knew the game. I feel like I understand the game fairly well, I honestly just never really loved it though. Used it more as a kick in the ass to get in shape for hockey season. I'm watching the games but I really just don't have the connection. Oh well. Go USA!

"Italians lose wars as if they were football matches, and football matches as if they were wars", said Sir Winston Churchill....

After watching the 1st 10 minutes of the match I really thought the Italians were in trouble. England certainly had the "flashier" players, but the Italians were so methodical, so patient, so technically sound. It was a beautiful display. Like a chess match.

After watching the 1st 10 minutes of the match I really thought the Italians were in trouble. England certainly had the "flashier" players, but the Italians were so methodical, so patient, so technically sound. It was a beautiful display. Like a chess match.

They were. #20 Paletta should never have been called up. Italy has never been so badly stacked in defense and almost all the attempts on goal and the actual goal were related to his poor defending. The reason we won't win the WC :(

So as we don't have 11 players who dance around, we always make our mark in these tournaments.

The color guy had it right. Argentina is trying out the 352 and looked completely out of sorts in the first half using it. When they switched back to the 442, they took over the game. That Bosnia goal was against the run of play in the second half.

Messi had an OK game for him but quite a few bad giveaways, obviously neutralized by the great goal and some spectacular play late in the game.

Bosnia also switched to a 4-2-4 which made any sort of possession game impossible.

Did they do that at halftime? I know they were in the christmas tree for a while but I missed that switch if it happened at the start of the second half.

Whatever they did, the second half was much more dominated by Argentina.

Did they do that at halftime? I know they were in the christmas tree for a while but I missed that switch if it happened at the start of the second half.

Whatever they did, the second half was much more dominated by Argentina.

They brought in 3 forwards after Messi's goal.

Tough game to open but a MUST WIN.

Man, I'm so excited I don't know what to do with myself. I'm gonna have to record the game and watch it around 9pm. Turning my phone off and putting blinders on. I don't know how I'm gonna be able to wait that long.

Beat Ghana!

:w00t:

I don't like soccer and here's three reasons why you shouldn't either!!!

Joking aside, I am also quite excited for tonight's USA debut. Ghana has been pushing us around for the last decade. I think its time we import a little democracy and bring these bullies to justice.

I expect an entertaining game. Both teams strength is on the attack while both defenses are suspect, from what I understand. Should be an open affair. Whichever side finishes is taking the points tonight.