World Cup Thread

Argentina was playing counter attack and trying to capitalize on the opportunities. They had 2 clear opportunities by higuain and messi and they both missed.

You don't capitalize against germany when you have the chance, you will lose.

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I somehow, amazingly, avoided hearing any news of the game until I got home last night after 8 and was able to watch the whole thing unspoiled on DVR. A minor miracle in this day and age in itself. I'm sure it would have been a different story had the US been in it though!

I thought it was a great game as well. Both teams had plenty of chances to score throughout but miss touches here, great defenses there, missed shots the next time, and quality saves by the goaltenders when needed. I think both teams played exactly how they wanted to play and neither one played better than the other. Germany just got the fantastic finish on their goal to win it. I'm just really glad that it didn't go to PKs. I truly hate how a World Championship can be determined by PKs.

As mentioned before, I too am shocked about FIFA's lack of medical competence when it comes to concussions. This was at least the 3rd time that a guy was clearly knocked out and put back in to the game just minutes later. The last two times it happened the guys got knocked out, got up, and went back down to the ground after stumbling a bit. Obviously substantial concussions that any person with any sense could see. The second last time the guy was even out cold for a considerable period of time on the pitch! I mean, holy crap. How can their trainers respectfully call themselves members of the medical community and allow these guys back on the pitch? Does someone actually have to die in a game for things to change? This is absolutely absurd to me. Insane.

http://blogs.buffalo...hat-were-o.html

"The World Cup rating was:

Higher than the 9.2 rating on Channel 2 for the Los Angeles Kings title clincher over the New York Rangers in the Stanley Cup finals.

Higher than the 8.6 rating on Channel 7 for San Antonio's title clincher over the Miami Heat in the NBA finals.

Higher than the 9.6 rating on WUTV for the Boston Red Sox's World Series clincher over the St. Louis Cardinals.

However, it was lower than the 12.2 rating on Channel 4 for the University at Connecticut's NCAA men's basketball final victory over Kentucky.

It was nowhere near the 51.0 rating on WUTV for Seattle's Super Bowl romp over Denver. But expecting the world version of football to compete with interest in the American version on television was way too much to ask."

Edited by linksfiend

http://blogs.buffalo...hat-were-o.html

"The World Cup rating was:

Higher than the 9.2 rating on Channel 2 for the Los Angeles Kings title clincher over the New York Rangers in the Stanley Cup finals.

Higher than the 8.6 rating on Channel 7 for San Antonio's title clincher over the Miami Heat in the NBA finals.

Higher than the 9.6 rating on WUTV for the Boston Red Sox's World Series clincher over the St. Louis Cardinals.

However, it was lower than the 12.2 rating on Channel 4 for the University at Connecticut's NCAA men's basketball final victory over Kentucky.

It was nowhere near the 51.0 rating on WUTV for Seattle's Super Bowl romp over Denver. But expecting the world version of football to compete with interest in the American version on television was way too much to ask."

I suggest that if the NHL, MLB, and NBA championships were only played once every four years (or were a one-game championship rather than a series) these numbers would be vastly different.

Also remember, ESPN has been pushing the World Cup down our throats for over a month.

It was a great tournament. I enjoyed it and my second favorite nation won. And now I'll forget about soccer for another four years (maybe two, since I do enjoy the Euro Cup).

I suggest that if the NHL, MLB, and NBA championships were only played once every four years (or were a one-game championship rather than a series) these numbers would be vastly different.

Also remember, ESPN has been pushing the World Cup down our throats for over a month.

It was a great tournament. I enjoyed it and my second favorite nation won. And now I'll forget about soccer for another four years (maybe two, since I do enjoy the Euro Cup).

A valid point, those would be can't miss games if they were one game series or every 4 years for me at least. But I'm curious as to how this compared to the Olympic Gold medal game for hockey, the Gold medal game for Basketball, and the World Baseball Classic Championship game (I think it was just a one game final but can't remember for sure). Those are the premiere international competitions for those sports and each occur every 4 years. I'm guessing that the World Cup blew them all out of the water.

Additionally, we can't even compare the ratings on a worldwide scale. The soccer would crush everything including the Superbowl. I would also guess that many other soccer competitions would do the same including Euro Cup, Champions League Final (every year), FA Cup Final, Copa del Ray Final and probably some others would demolish the ratings of everything worldwide except the Super Bowl (besides Euro and Champions League, they'd beat out Super Bowl too).

Too lazy to look this all up though now.

Edited by Mark80

And were reformatted to appeal to nationalistic allegiances

That's how it started for me. I just started watching the world cup and Euro Cup @1990. Then I'd started watching the USMNT qualifying games after the 94 World Cup. Then I started following various Bundesliga teams (Bayern, Bremen, Schalke, etc) in the UEFA Champions League @1998. Finally I adopted a BPL team in 2010 - Liverpool after Fenway Sports Group bought them.

A valid point, those would be can't miss games if they were one game series or every 4 years for me at least. But I'm curious as to how this compared to the Olympic Gold medal game for hockey, the Gold medal game for Basketball, and the World Baseball Classic Championship game (I think it was just a one game final but can't remember for sure). Those are the premiere international competitions for those sports and each occur every 4 years. I'm guessing that the World Cup blew them all out of the water.

Additionally, we can't even compare the ratings on a worldwide scale. The soccer would crush everything including the Superbowl. I would also guess that many other soccer competitions would do the same including Euro Cup, Champions League Final (every year), FA Cup Final, Copa del Ray Final and probably some others would demolish the ratings of everything worldwide except the Super Bowl (besides Euro and Champions League, they'd beat out Super Bowl too).

Too lazy to look this all up though now.

Not trying to -- just talking about American viewership. We already know the reason why soccer is most popular everywhere else. In the U.S. I bet viewership of the Olympic gold medal basketball game had higher numbers than this World Cup final.

I really enjoyed this tournament overall. I'm sad it's over.

Germany deserves the trophy. They played very well.

Lots of goals and great games. Some surprises. The US made it out of the group and played honorably. And best of all: We beat !@#$ing Ghana!!!

:beer:

Not trying to -- just talking about American viewership. We already know the reason why soccer is most popular everywhere else. In the U.S. I bet viewership of the Olympic gold medal basketball game had higher numbers than this World Cup final.

That's why I put the adverb "additionally" in there!

Just looked up the Basketball game, it was an 8.2, much lower than the World Cup game.

Edited by Mark80

while this will not turn me into a soccer fan, I enjoyed the entire event, i watched as many games as I could. It is a very cool event. I just saw this on twitter and it really cracked me up.

:w00t:

That's why I put the adverb "additionally" in there!

Just looked up the Basketball game, it was an 8.2, much lower than the World Cup game.

Hmm...I'm mildly surprised. Probably helps that a US gold was a foregone conclusion.

Anyway, not trying to denounce soccer -- just being realistic about what's likely to happen in the US now that this event is over. I just don't see MLS ratings going up significantly. Real fans of the game seem to focus on the European leagues.

Someone has sour grapes over Italy not making out of the group stage - in either of the last two cups.

I won't deny it. I'm also pissed that Italy is no longer the European team with the most World Cups.

I like the Germans. When they score a goal, they celebrate it with it's proper due. Not like the Americans - who look like they just cured cancer, and it's a go ahead goal in the first game.

Rizzoli, "Shortly after Kramer got hit by Garay, he came to me asking 'ref, is this the final?' I thought he was joking."

Rizzoli, "So I asked him to repeat the question and he said 'I need to know if this is really the final'. I said yes."

Rizzoli, "[Kramer] said 'thanks, that's important to know'. I informed Schweinsteiger and they replaced Kramer.