World Cup Thread

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got off easy IMO for this being his third strike

CBF

I'm on the record as saying I don't think this is such a big deal. However, considering he got suspended 10 games for his last biting incident it doesn't make any sense that he was suspended less games for his third offense. FIFA is so messed up.

I'm on the record as saying I don't think this is such a big deal. However, considering he got suspended 10 games for his last biting incident it doesn't make any sense that he was suspended less games for his third offense. FIFA is so messed up.

I think in addition to 9 international games, he is also banned from any part of soccer for 4 months

CBF

And don't get me wrong, fellas, I do think he should have received a Red card and a suspension for the bite, I was just saying that I didn't think he should have received a lifetime ban or a one or two year suspension like some of the guys on ESPN and a lot of people who put comments on the bottom of various articles were trying to say he should. I would have put it at 10 games for this (after I would have done 3 for the first and 7 for the second).

I think in addition to 9 international games, he is also banned from any part of soccer for 4 months

CBF

Ohhh, I didn't catch that part of it. That will be a significant number of total games then. And as a LIverpool supporter I'm now pretty pissed (at Suarez for being so stupid).

Edited by Mark80

And don't get me wrong, fellas, I do think he should have received a Red card and a suspension for the bite, I was just saying that I didn't think he should have received a lifetime ban or a one or two year suspension like some of the guys on ESPN and a lot of people who put comments on the bottom of various articles were trying to say he should. I would have put it at 10 games for this (after I would have done 3 for the first and 7 for the second).

It's pretty obvious he doesn't get it. What do you with a criminal who keeps doing the same thing? You have to get them to learn. 3 strikes and you're out. Why someone hasn't attacked him after is beyond me.

Yeah, maybe it's my "American" mentality but I hate softness. I hate weak fouls in basketball and I hate the new rules in the NFL (I get why). I think if the refs allowed more play ons for little contact, that's how you can get rid of some of the flopping. JMO.

It's not the same in every league though. This is the world cup and also the world cup of referees. If you watch the English league, then the Spanish league and the Italian league, you'll see different levels of officiating. That's the reality.

I see what you're saying but if you had to ask me what needs to be fixed in soccer as a priority, it's the offside rule. There needs to be a better method of determining if a player is onside since some of the best strikers in the world excel at beating the offside trap, and when they finally do that one time a game, they are called incorrectly offside. :wallbash:

Ohhh, I didn't catch that part of it. That will be a significant number of total games then. And as a LIverpool supporter I'm now pretty pissed (at Suarez for being so stupid).

I also don't think Liverpool could sell him which is huge.

It's not the same in every league though. This is the world cup and also the world cup of referees. If you watch the English league, then the Spanish league and the Italian league, you'll see different levels of officiating. That's the reality.

I see what you're saying but if you had to ask me what needs to be fixed in soccer as a priority, it's the offside rule. There needs to be a better method of determining if a player is onside since some of the best strikers in the world excel at beating the offside trap, and when they finally do that one time a game, they are called incorrectly offside. :wallbash:

Thanks for the discussion. I'm trying to learn more about the game and rules, so I really apperciate the feedback. Enjoy the games. :beer:

Thanks for the discussion. I'm trying to learn more about the game and rules, so I really apperciate the feedback. Enjoy the games. :beer:

Thanks. Italy being out means that ship has sailed for me. I'll still watch but it's never the same. :cry: