World Cup Thread

I sure hope he transfers to Barca. I hate rooting for him on Liverpool.

http://www.dailymail...newspapers.html

I don't get it. Didn't they just re-sign him to an extension this year?

Yep: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/12/20/liverpool-signs-controversial-luis-suarez-to-75-million-contract/

I don't understand why clubs like Liverpool would sell a player like this (well, at least before yesterday's game when this article was published). Arsenal selling Van Persie to Man U? Man U selling Renaldo to Real Madrid? It's not like these teams can't afford these guys, just doesn't make sense to me sometimes. It would be like the Patriots selling Brady to the Jets in 2005. Craziness.

Edited by Mark80

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it. Didn't they just re-sign him to an extension this year?

Yep: http://www.forbes.co...llion-contract/

I don't understand why clubs like Liverpool would sell a player like this (well, at least before yesterday's game when this article was published). Arsenal selling Van Persie to Man U? Man U selling Renaldo to Real Madrid? It's not like these teams can't afford these guys, just doesn't make sense to me sometimes. It would be like the Patriots selling Brady to the Jets in 2005. Craziness.

Because you get 3-4 times the actual value which could be used to fortify other parts of the team. IIRC, the sale of Ronaldo helped solidify Man Utd's balance sheet when it was deep in debt.

Gareth Bale going for 120M USD also helped Tottenham go on a spending spree of qualiy players (not that it helped them win anything).

Edited by meazza

Because you get 3-4 times the actual value which could be used to fortify other parts of the team. IIRC, the sale of Ronaldo helped solidify Man Utd's balance sheet when it was deep in debt.

Gareth Bale going for 120M USD also helped Tottenham go on a spending spree of qualiy players (not that it helped them win anything).

I understand Bale, Tottenham is not as flush with cash as the others and I didn't know Man U was in debt when they sold Ronaldo so I can understand that now, but LIverpool has tons of cash and so does Arsenal and they sold Van Persie to a big time rival?

I understand Bale, Tottenham is not as flush with cash as the others and I didn't know Man U was in debt when they sold Ronaldo so I can understand that now, but LIverpool has tons of cash and so does Arsenal and they sold Van Persie to a big time rival?

Yes that I agree with. EPL teams in general are quite wealthy. The Italians just prefer selling their stars to the oil kings in France :lol:

And speaking of Bale, why doesn't England play as Great Britain so they could take advantage of player like him? Burying him and Ramsey on the Welch squad is such a shame. They play as Great Britain in the Olympics and most other international sport competitions.

Edit: Oh, guess they don't in most other international sports then huh?

Edited by Mark80

And speaking of Bale, why doesn't England play as Great Britain so they could take advantage of player like him? Burying him and Ramsey on the Welch squad is such a shame. They play as Great Britain in the Olympics and most other international sport competitions.

I think that's easy enough to answer, it's tradition. The only time UK plays as GB is in the Olympics. In every other opportunity, because of tradition they are split. Rugby, Cricket, Football.

I think that's easy enough to answer, it's tradition. The only time UK plays as GB is in the Olympics. In every other opportunity, because of tradition they are split. Rugby, Cricket, Football.

Well, that's dumb. It would be like Texas and New York fielding their own squads. They need to look themselves in the face, see that they can't really compete with the status quo and start a new tradition...one of winning.

Don't get me started on van Persie. As an Arsenal fan, there is a backstory. In short, the club and supporters stuck with him over many injury filled years and even an arrest where he was accused of rape (it later turned out that it was a consensual affair). He re-paid the loyalty of the club, Arsene Wenger, and the fans by engineering a transfer when he had a year left on his contract.

He really stabbed Arsenal, Arsene Wenger, and the supporters in the back. It is a bit complicated, but he is a first class prick - especially now that he is with Man U.

Unfortunately, after the U.S., one of my secondary teams is the Netherlands because my wife is Dutch. I have to hold my nose while I root for them.

So who does everyone think will win it all?

I'm torn between Brazil and Netherlands but I think I'm going with Netherlands

CBF

Netherlands, Brazil or Germany. Outside shot France, Belgium.

Netherlands, Brazil or Germany. Outside shot France, Belgium.

I think Columbia has been the most impressive so far. But really, anyone that advances has a legit shot. I'm going South America though, Columbia, Brazil, Argentina are my 3 picks.