World Cup Thread

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of sloppiness on the part of our midfielders...Germany keeps possession majority of the time. They have a strong defense...few opportunities.

I actually think Germanys centre back is the weakest area. They are really strong through the mid-field and up front. Just need to be better in the mid field with passes.

I actually think Germanys centre back is the weakest area. They are really strong through the mid-field and up front. Just need to be better in the mid field with passes.

It seems when we go to clear the ball we don't have any specific player we are passing to...whereas, when the Germans get a loose ball or clear it, they pass the ball successfully...some really piss poor passing on our part.

It seems when we go to clear the ball we don't have any specific player we are passing to...whereas, when the Germans get a loose ball or clear it, they pass the ball successfully...some really piss poor passing on our part.

Oh the passing from the US is no where near as crisp as some teams. And Bradley is suppose to be the captain in the mid-field has play very average. If you watch Kroos, for Germany, is a master at commanding the mid-field. His passes are crisp and he's always looking for that person breaking.

Typical US possession. Typical German possession.

Phew. Was watching both games on two tvs. Ghana had a lot of chances and easily could have won that game. At the same time, Portugal had a lot of chances too and could have easily made up that goal differential. Both goalies made some great saves.

I'll take it. Germany look to be the team of the tournament so no shame in losing to them. Next up Belgium.

The US can beat them.

Just need to sort out that mid-field and hopefully get the #9 Altidore back so they can go back to the 4-3-3

Boycotting waffles for a bit. Bring on Belgium

I am in a little bar in an airport and cannot see TV to well, but they were talking Algeria next no? Just saw the last 20 minutes or so

Either case, I am a neophyte ...I thought US looks like they could beat anyone. Is there a favorite outside of Germany now?

Is it possible for US to face Germany again before the final? In the final?

I am in a little bar in an airport and cannot see TV to well, but they were talking Algeria next no? Just saw the last 20 minutes or so

Either case, I am a neophyte ...I thought US looks like they could beat anyone. Is there a favorite outside of Germany now?

Can't play Germany till the final. Also miss Brazil, France, Columbia, and Uruguay which is nice. Our side has Belgium, Netherlands, and Argentina as the biggest threats though.

In all reality, just getting out of the group stage is a major win for US soccer though. I don't see us making a very big run beyond that though.

Edited by Mark80

*Phew*

We had a great set up at work -- 3 giant screens showing the US game and 2 big screens on the side showing P-G; about 200 people watching together.

That second half got very uncomfortable with Germany and Ghana scoring within minutes. Thank you Ronaldo for providing that late cushion. It would have been great if the US could have capitalized on that last opportunity (or, only opportunity), but through it through. Rest up and hopeful Joey is ready for the knock-out stage.

Belgium would have to lose to Korea with Algeria winning over Russia.

Brazil is the favorite but no doubt Germany is playing the best of any team.

US will play the winner of another group TBD. Belgium is in the lead in that group and are due to play a lousy South Korean team so you'd have to think it will be Belgium.

Belgium is a good team but honestly, I'm less afraid of them than Portugal, Germany, or Ghana.

I think that's still possible but most likely it's Belgium. Announcer later corrected himself.

Belgium is a good team but honestly, I'm less afraid of them than Portugal, Germany, or Ghana.

Seems like overall the US side of the KO stage is easier. Obviously no gimmies, but Belgium-Argentina seems like as good a draw as you could hope for to the semi-finals.