World Cup Thread

I wouldn't call making the clinching penalty kick "a zero." That was a ton of pressure, and he did it with style. Also, Chile were absolutely mugging the guy.

That said, while it's nice for the home fans to see their team advance to the final 8, Brazil will be lucky to go further.

The 4th Chilean PK guy had no style. Upper right corner flawlessly scored. Did it count for more or less than Neymar's stutterstepping delivery? Not to mention, PKs are not that hard to score. A guy like Neymar should score 90% of the time on them and that's just a baseline--it's doesn't make him a star.

Neymar is crazy talented but in the second half and extra time, he was a non-factor. Chile was the better team after the first half.

It was a physical match. Neymar was not the victim of much of the contact and certainly did nothing to overcome it. Plus the average Chilean player is 5'4" tall--how much "mugging" could they be doing?

Don't get me wrong: I love watching Neymar play and he's the best player on the team. Just didn't really do much yesterday after the first half when they needed him most.

Edited by John Adams

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dutch, who are my favorites, are looking fatigued and slow vs Mexico. I will not be shocked if Mexico pulls the upset.(0-0 at the half now).

the heat is having a huge effect on this match, and makes wonder about upcoming matches....

The announcer just said: "The Netherlands had something inside them and they squeezed it out. In another come-from-behind win."

Yeah, caught that. That was pretty funny, since they essentially pulled a win out of their ass...

Greece is looking like they're going to pull a win completely out of their ass.

Full credit to CR for that effort after going down to 10. They played their asses off and earned that PK win.

Greece's inability to play offense killed them.

Good to see CR, a constant and unreleneting thorn in the side of the US, doing so well. Makes our struggles with them look more credible.

Every time Yedlin has came off the bench, he has helped creating scoring opportunities. I think we need to get him on the pitch, he can either play the right full back spot and we could move Johnson to Outside midfielder or keep Johnson where he is and move Yedlin as the outside midfielder. I think we gotta find him some more time on the pitch.

Every time Yedlin has came off the bench, he has helped creating scoring opportunities. I think we need to get him on the pitch, he can either play the right full back spot and we could move Johnson to Outside midfielder or keep Johnson where he is and move Yedlin as the outside midfielder. I think we gotta find him some more time on the pitch.

I was impressed with him on Thursday. Also liked Davis's play while he was in there. Seemed to settle down Bradley a bit and have a good idea of how to play for possession. Not sold on Davis but at least he was mentally doing the right things.

Johnson has been a bright spot for the US and I wouldn't tamper with him.

I don't think we'll see Altidore unless there's about 5 minutes remaining and the US is down by a goal. No way you recover from a "gunshot" hamstring pull that fast and the only reason he should see the field is in desperation.

Gonzalez is a bit slow but he earned a cap last game, and Cameron has been dreadful.

Edited by John Adams

Yedlin has been great in his time out there. He's like a Tasmanian devil. He had one awesome play in the Germany game where he sprinted about 30 yards to where the German player had the ball along the sideline. Yedlin simply took the ball away and proceeded up the field with it.

Yedlin has been great in his time out there. He's like a Tasmanian devil. He had one awesome play in the Germany game where he sprinted about 30 yards to where the German player had the ball along the sideline. Yedlin simply took the ball away and proceeded up the field with it.

Some of that is that he had fresh legs. I'd like to see him in there earlier though. Bedoya has not done much to impress.