World Cup Thread

One of the most depressing facts from this game: Tim Howard is 35 years old.

The US never has problems at keeper. Howard has been around a long time and a joy to have.

Great heart. The great news is that the US young players are better suited to proper play than many of the vets. They seem to have a more possession oriented style and much, much, much better feet. The US touch is generally godawful but some of the young guys have softer touches.

The US had chances, especially in extra time. Proud match. Klinsman has this team on the right track. Wonder what could have been with a healthy Jozy. Talk about a killer injury.

Edited by John Adams

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with you. I was able to generate some mild interest, but won't be watching any MLS games anytime soon.

8 of the 11 starters play or played in the MLS.

It's a fun league and the breeding ground for future US teams.

Europe teams have mandatory systems in place to train adolescents in camps for free with legit coaches. MLS has recently picked up on this and it will pay dividends in years to come. 2022 is our real goal. Have patience.

As far as my booty call? Either I'm too drunk to make sense in the text of I have dipped the pail into the well one too many times with no commitment. Oh, "well."

As bummed as I am about the result, I am excited about this team's future. We play with lots of heart and have promising young talent. Jurgen also is the right guy to lead this team forward. I am proud of this team.

Future talent currently playing abroad (some is 2022 talent):

Gyau, Flores = Borussia Dortmund

Ben Lederman = Barcelona

Green = Bayern Munich

Marc Pelosi = Liverpool

Kyle Scott = Chelsea FC

Joshua Pynadath = Real Madrid CF, although he will still be a bit young maybe 18

So bradley. You guys still see him as the deep lying playmaker?

Heard a guy on one of the morning radio shows today discussing how Bradley was asked to play more forward/aggressive then he is accustom and suited to and that was one reason he appeared out of position frequently. I don't understand the details of the sport well enough to evaluate that, but his point was that much of the criticism was undeserved. Same guy also questioned Klinsmann's game strategy as well as his roster choices. On that last one, I don't mind him putting some of those young pups on the squad for the experience.

Heard a guy on one of the morning radio shows today discussing how Bradley was asked to play more forward/aggressive then he is accustom and suited to and that was one reason he appeared out of position frequently. I don't understand the details of the sport well enough to evaluate that, but his point was that much of the criticism was undeserved. Same guy also questioned Klinsmann's game strategy as well as his roster choices. On that last one, I don't mind him putting some of those young pups on the squad for the experience.

Bradley is a Central Defensive Midfielder. He has a high motor and is more of a clean up role rather than pushing forward. When he played a more offensive role at Roma (as an emergency backup to replace Miralem Pjanic), he failed miserably. When he played the defensive role, he was pretty good. He has no vision forward.

I made this point earlier in this thread. Obviously the lack of quality options at the attacking midfielder while having extra depth at the defensive role left Klinsman with little choice.

Edited by meazza

Monday morning quaterbacking is easy. When most bookmakers gave us the worst odds of advancing from Group H (Germany 80-85%, Portugal @75%, Ghana @25%, USA @15-20%), I commend Klinsmann and the USMNT.

However, what I can't figure out, is why bookmakers still offer "draw" odds in the elimination rounds

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Navigation?dispSortId=1&context=bycountryandleague&byocList=|s11274

Monday morning quaterbacking is easy. When most bookmakers gave us the worst odds of advancing from Group H (Germany 80-85%, Portugal @75%, Ghana @25%, USA @15-20%), I commend Klinsmann and the USMNT.

However, what I can't figure out, is why bookmakers still offer "draw" odds in the elimination rounds

http://sports.ladbro...yocList=|s11274

Winning in PK's is still considered a draw.

I think Klinsmann overall did a really good job with this team. If there is one main criticism that I have with him, it's that he didn't select another holding striker that could have replaced Altidore. There was no replacement for him, Boyd or Johnson should have been the back up selected. The other decision was the omission of Landon Donovan, he certainly would have been a much better choice than Wondo.

Personally I like Wondo, but he was selected to this team not because of his physical gifts or skill set, but because of his knack to place himself in opportune chances and execute. Sadly, he had the opportunity of a life time, all teed up and he choked. :cry:

Edited by Magox

Wondo...had the opportunity of a life time, all teed up and he choked. :cry:

That's the hardest pill to swallow. I can't stop imagining what it would be like if that ball went in. What a crazy moment that would have been. Oh man, as a fan I've been waiting such a long time for a moment like that.

That's the hardest pill to swallow. I can't stop imagining what it would be like if that ball went in. What a crazy moment that would have been. Oh man, as a fan I've been waiting such a long time for a moment like that.

I was watching with about 300 people and everyone lept to the feet at that moment; a last second goal to win would have been unbelievable. I think if he gets his foot on it before it hits the ground it's probably in. That short-hop is tricky.

Some more what-if’s (just for the sake of masochism and self-pity):

What if…

Klinsmann used Green for that second sub, instead of Wondo

What if…

Stu Holden’s knees had held up better. We sorely missed that playmaking.

What if…

Donovan and Cherundolo could have held on to their prime for another year and Brooks, Yedlin, Green, Diskerud & Johannsson were ready a little sooner. With Jozy and Howard and Dempsey and Bradley, it would have been a golden moment—we just missed those generations overlapping just right.

I was watching with about 300 people and everyone lept to the feet at that moment; a last second goal to win would have been unbelievable. I think if he gets his foot on it before it hits the ground it's probably in. That short-hop is tricky.

He needed to drive it downward and instead he tried to "baby" it. I chalk it up to inexperience.

Some more what-if’s (just for the sake of masochism and self-pity):

What if…

Klinsmann used Green for that second sub, instead of Wondo

What if…

Stu Holden’s knees had held up better. We sorely missed that playmaking.

What if…

Donovan and Cherundolo could have held on to their prime for another year and Brooks, Yedlin, Green, Diskerud & Johannsson were ready a little sooner. With Jozy and Howard and Dempsey and Bradley, it would have been a golden moment—we just missed those generations overlapping just right.

What if Dempsey converts on that crafty set piece in extra time? A little chip up and over and its a tie game.

Future talent currently playing abroad (some is 2022 talent):

Gyau, Flores = Borussia Dortmund

Ben Lederman = Barcelona

Green = Bayern Munich

Marc Pelosi = Liverpool

Kyle Scott = Chelsea FC

Joshua Pynadath = Real Madrid CF, although he will still be a bit young maybe 18

Another guy that has the makings of being an absolute star for the US, should he decide us over Germany is Gedion Zelalem. He is with Arsenal, has played in a few games with the first teams, and some people said he was the best player on the pitch at the age of 17. Wenger, Arsenal's Manager believes he's a star in the making. This is the guy that could be the play maker for us in the midfield. I really hope he chooses us, and Klinsmann has been recruiting him hard.