World Cup Thread

So psyched for the USA game today! Recording the game so I have to try and block out all communication at work till I leave at 4:30. I have this terrible feeling that as I'm leaving my office someone will spoil some part of it for me but we'll see.

I'm doing the same thing. It's always difficult.

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doing the same thing. It's always difficult.

It's always the last person you'd expect too. The one who you never really talk to and only nod hello or goodbye to when you see them.

This game is the perfect example of the screwy timing of soccer. Extra time, ARG scores. They waste a good minute of run time the SUI needs to tie. Then they tack on a crapload of time on that last kick. I'll never understand that.

This game is the perfect example of the screwy timing of soccer. Extra time, ARG scores. They waste a good minute of run time the SUI needs to tie. Then they tack on a crapload of time on that last kick. I'll never understand that.

Related thing I find odd -- there doesn't seem to be the same sense of urgency in the final minute(s) of a soccer game that you see in a playoff hockey game from a team down a goal or a football team trying to get downfield in the final seconds. Maybe it's more difficult to judge on TV, but you'd think guys would be sprinting to get the ball back in play, get the subs made, etc. but that rarely seems to be the case.

Lineup announced:

No Jozy, no Beckerman. Geoff Cameron in the midfield, not sure where he'll play exactly. Both Zusi and Bedoya on the wings. Bradley and Jones in the middle. Dempsey alone up top. Same back line as last we saw against Germany: Johnson, Gonzalez, Besler, Beasley.

I don't understand why Bedoya is still in the team. With that said, he will likely score today. USA!!

Time wasted=time added. Doesn't matter when it is wasted. A goal is time wasted.

I haven't seen the USA play yet until today. have all their games been like this? Belgium basically is possessing the ball near the usa's goal for 90% of the game.

No, it's usually closer to 70%.

The "headless chicken" defense is in full form, though. The US deserves to be down 3-0, just on what I've seen this half.

I haven't seen the USA play yet until today. have all their games been like this? Belgium basically is possessing the ball near the usa's goal for 90% of the game.

This is the difference between MLS and Europe quality players. Our only player who doesn't panic on the ball is Dempsey and sometimes Bradley. No coincidence they spent much of their careers in Europe.