World Cup Thread

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Brazil could cry a little more? Fug 'em. Go Germany.

Germany definitely has the best shot at this point. They've played the best out of everyone. But Argentina is playing well now too. The winner of that match is likely to go all the way.

Sad about the Ticos. Was hoping they'd pull off the upset.

Germany definitely has the best shot at this point. They've played the best out of everyone. But Argentina is playing well now too. The winner of that match is likely to go all the way.

Sad about the Ticos. Was hoping they'd pull off the upset.

Without Thiago Silva and Neymar, I'm not sure how Brazil can pull it off.

I'm still thinking Netherlands can surprise

I simply cannot pull for the Dutch and that annoying diver Robben. Just an embarrassment, and I don't care how talented he is. I recall a specific example against Costa Rica in which he went down in apparent agony, got up limping, but then the ball came towards him two seconds later and he immediately broke into a full sprint -- "injury" forgotten.

Oh wait, that was EVERY example. It's a joke.

I simply cannot pull for the Dutch and that annoying diver Robben. Just an embarrassment, and I don't care how talented he is. I recall a specific example against Costa Rica in which he went down in apparent agony, got up limping, but then the ball came towards him two seconds later and he immediately broke into a full sprint -- "injury" forgotten.

Can't argue with that

CBF

What annoys me about Robben is how he plays. He does the same thing, cuts in off the wing and shoots. Never passes the ball.

Everything that has been said about Robben has been somewhat true, having said that, there hasn't been a player that has been as dangerous as he has this world cup. The guys one on one skills are absurd, seems like no one has been able to stop him when he runs at you at full throttle. The guy is great.

Everything that has been said about Robben has been somewhat true, having said that, there hasn't been a player that has been as dangerous as he has this world cup. The guys one on one skills are absurd, seems like no one has been able to stop him when he runs at you at full throttle. The guy is great.

I'm not denying his skill set but I prefer Sneijder over him as an overall player.

All the more reason to be disgusted by his antics. Quit your diving and play hard; the refs will call the obvious fouls.

There really is nothing like this diving nonsense in any other professional sport. The NBA penalizes flopping, the NHL penalizes diving, and there isn't anything even comparable in the NFL or MLB.

All the more reason to be disgusted by his antics. Quit your diving and play hard; the refs will call the obvious fouls.

There really is nothing like this diving nonsense in any other professional sport. The NBA penalizes flopping, the NHL penalizes diving, and there isn't anything even comparable in the NFL or MLB.

I agree. It happens too often but I watch enough soccer during the year to see that refs almost never call a foul if a player doesn't fall down.

Also, a lot of these players who we consider "divers" do get their legs and ankles hacked all game which is probably a huge contributor. If the refs would actually protect the players, they would probably embellish less.

People call Totti a diver yet he's already had to play with a metal plate in his foot due to the amount of times he is fouled because they can't take the ball off him.

To give you an example, during the Saturday QF's, there was a run where a player was on the receiving end of a two legged tackle though he jumped the foul, that should be a straight red yet it doesn't get called.

Edited by meazza

Re Robben:

As some of you know, I am an Arsenal supporter and the Dutch are my "second" team because my wife is Dutch. As a result, I have followed the Netherlands closely since the time I met my wife and like their style of play.

With that background, I have said for quite some time that he is one of the few players on the Dutch team that I do not like. I hated his diving for Chelski I hated his repeated diving for Bayern against Arsenal in their two Champions League matches. I am embarrassed when he does his patented flop with his arms outstretched and the grimace on his face as if he has been shot by a big game hunter.

The guy is also a black hole. He is the Carmelo Anthony of Bayern Munich. Although talented, he rarely will pass the ball while playing for his club (unlike Ribery). He has been a little better about this in the World Cup.

The sad part is that his faults are completely unnecessary. He is a great player. He has been responsible for a lot of what the Dutch have been able to create offensively. Except for him, diving is not the Dutch way (unlike some other teams).

As an aside, in case you have not noticed, 99% of the time, his finishing move is to his left (he is left footed). I find it funny that there are so many players/teams that have not seemed to have caught on to this when defending him.

Final note: As much as I am supporting the Dutch now that the U.S. is out, there is one other player that I do not like: Robin van Persie. He is both a world class player and world class !@#$. He was an Arsenal player. The club, manager (Arsene Wenger), and supporters stuck with him through several years of injury and an arrest. He ultimately stabbed all in the back and engineered a transfer to one of our bitter rivals: Manchester United.

As a result, I have to hold my nose a bit when I am rooting for the Dutch. It is kind of like when I watched the Yankees and A Rod was on the team.

Hup Holland Hup!!!

Edited by Peter

I agree with his unsportsmanlike diving and embellishments, but to my untrained eye, NOBODY in the tournament has put more consistent pressure on the defense than Robben. He never stops attacking.

But man, nobody suffers like a soccer player, especially Robben. It'd be funny if it wasn't so pitiful. Is it just the culture of "futbol?"

ya that Neymar really dives! Especially on that last foul!

Brazil wins tomorrow with team play. No more Neymar means every player must give 110% . Saying this, I also believe the Germans have a hell of a shot at winning tomorrow.

Any 4 of the remaining teams have a shot at the Title.

All the best,

Cazzer

Just so you guys know...Dante will be replacing Thiago Silva. He also plays in Europe and is a beast. Nobody will even know Silva was not playing!

WIllian or Bernard will replace Neymar. Will also cause problems for Germany since they now have to change the defensive plan. This will open up the whole field instead of shutting down the side Neymar was playing on. Expect a good game.

I wonder if Brazil could cry a little more? Fug 'em. Go Germany.

What are they crying about?

Argentina to win it all. Their whole team is powered up. Defense. Everything.

Re Robben:

As some of you know, I am an Arsenal supporter and the Dutch are my "second" team because my wife is Dutch. As a result, I have followed the Netherlands closely since the time I met my wife and like their style of play.

With that background, I have said for quite some time that he is one of the few players on the Dutch team that I do not like. I hated his diving for Chelski I hated his repeated diving for Bayern against Arsenal in their two Champions League matches. I am embarrassed when he does his patented flop with his arms outstretched and the grimace on his face as if he has been shot by a big game hunter.

The guy is also a black hole. He is the Carmelo Anthony of Bayern Munich. Although talented, he rarely will pass the ball while playing for his club (unlike Ribery). He has been a little better about this in the World Cup.

The sad part is that his faults are completely unnecessary. He is a great player. He has been responsible for a lot of what the Dutch have been able to create offensively. Except for him, diving is not the Dutch way (unlike some other teams).

As an aside, in case you have not noticed, 99% of the time, his finishing move is to his left (he is left footed). I find it funny that there are so many players/teams that have not seemed to have caught on to this when defending him.

Final note: As much as I am supporting the Dutch now that the U.S. is out, there is one other player that I do not like: Robin van Persie. He is both a world class player and world class !@#$. He was an Arsenal player. The club, manager (Arsene Wenger), and supporters stuck with him through several years of injury and an arrest. He ultimately stabbed all in the back and engineered a transfer to one of our bitter rivals: Manchester United.

As a result, I have to hold my nose a bit when I am rooting for the Dutch. It is kind of like when I watched the Yankees and A Rod was on the team.

Hup Holland Hup!!!

Re Robben:

Hup Holland Hup!!!

Wow. Weird scenario.

You're right about Robben. He's great. He's the fastest guy with the ball.