Bills Release WR Brandon Kaufman.

Who is the best TE in franchise history? Warlick? He is before my time so I don't know. Metzelaars? He was never better than average. Reimersma is probably the best that I remember and he was just pretty good. I don't know if a Bills TE has ever been to a pro bowl? That's insane.

pretty sure JR was in the pro bowl once. But I get your point.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand half the people on here...

1.) if we have a pass catching tight end, or people talk about the need for one, he is ripped on bc he doesn't block well...

2.) the blocking TE gets trashed because he can't run routes and/or catch well...

3.) Chandler can perform reasonably well on both of these areas, and he's a beast size target, so one would think he is the best of both worlds, but no...

Let's save some $$$$ and see what Chandler can do with a more accurate passer and a QB that isn't running for his life...

yup

pretty sure JR was in the pro bowl once. But I get your point.

I just googled it because I was curious if we were forgetting someone. Warlick was a 4 time pro bowler. Paul Costa & Charley Fergueson each went but it looks like they were part time tight ends. I feel even more comfortable now than I did before saying that it is the weakest position in franchise history.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/all-pros.htm

Edited by Kirby Jackson

We only had so many draft picks and we went after as many holes in free agency. I'm not going to list all of the acquisitions as everyone knows them. They will have to make due with Chandler and at least one of the other guys. This isn't Madden.

I don't know almost any team in the NFL who has superstars at every position on the offense and defense. It was pointed out there were only 4 TEs in the draft worth it, and who do you want to take away. We need all of the guys we took. Which superstar TEs were on the street in free agency? There weren't any that are in their prime.

Lastly, where we may have a need at TE, we are now pretty stacked at WR. We're also most likely to be more of a power running team, so where we only have Chandler, we support the run through Frank the Tank.

We should have taken Jace Amaro, we could have gotten another tackle latter.

I just googled it because I was curious if we were forgetting someone. Warlick was a 4 time pro bowler. Paul Costa & Charley Fergueson each went but it looks like they were part time tight ends. I feel even more comfortable now than I did before saying that it is the weakest position in franchise history.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/all-pros.htm

im seeing that but I swear Jay Reimersma made it one year. Maybe as an alternate or something. I just swear I remember that happening. Makes me think he was in the PRoBowl the year that Moorman was destroyed on a fake I think.

no thanks. This kid won't accumulate to anything more than what we have with Chandler.

Safarini-Jenkins or Ebron are the only elite type talents in this pool.

I don't understand half the people on here...

1.) if we have a pass catching tight end, or people talk about the need for one, he is ripped on bc he doesn't block well...

2.) the blocking TE gets trashed because he can't run routes and/or catch well...

3.) Chandler can perform reasonably well on both of these areas, and he's a beast size target, so one would think he is the best of both worlds, but no...

Let's save some $$$$ and see what Chandler can do with a more accurate passer and a QB that isn't running for his life...

You have Jeff George's rocket arm, ryan fitzpatricks intangibles or andy Dalton's acceptable at everything.... Heaven forbid fans would see a chance to improve on any or all of those options.... Chandler is ok at everything and he won't ruin our season but he's one of our most clear opportunities to upgrade.

BB - I normally agree with you, but here I see the RT position more important. I know a lot of you guys wanted a TE, and so did I. There's just so many picks. Now if many of these guys end up as good as I think they can be, we can definitely focus on TE next year for the right talent. I'm fine with even going second round next year if there is a stud.

I just didn't think Amaro was as good as a TE, as Kuondjio is as a Tackle. Anyway, no offense to you big guy. I like your posts.

So now for TE we're left with a guy who 31 teams didn't offer a contract to, a guy who hasn't played in 2 years and a 7th rounder. TE is an important part of today's NFL and we have nothing

Doesnt really matter in our O. We have our blocking TE, and Chandler still does his thing and will catch his 40-50 balls for 400-500 and couple TD's. We will be using a lot of 3-4 WR sets or 2 RB sets so wont really need TE on field and when we are in ground and pound, u insert Smith to go along with Chandler..

We will be getting those extra balls to WR;s and hopefully they RB's split out wide sometimes. Sammy alone will get 2 "catches" a game in plays are really running plays in either a simple flanker screen or bubble screen

Doesnt really matter in our O. We have our blocking TE, and Chandler still does his thing and will catch his 40-50 balls for 400-500 and couple TD's. We will be using a lot of 3-4 WR sets or 2 RB sets so wont really need TE on field and when we are in ground and pound, u insert Smith to go along with Chandler..

We will be getting those extra balls to WR;s and hopefully they RB's split out wide sometimes. Sammy alone will get 2 "catches" a game in plays are really running plays in either a simple flanker screen or bubble screen

Seems the Bills clearly have made that decision.. Good post

Chandler had his best season last year, and that wasn't even a year removed from his ACL injury. I'm surprised no one gave him an offer on the market but I'm glad they didn't.

Regardless of stats, he had his worst season last year, which is why they didn't really go hard to re-sign him, and no one else did either, so he came back at a relatively low number. He got more catches because the receiver corp was so hobbled. He dropped balls, he dropped crucial balls, he fumbled away a game we had won, and he rarely made big plays the way he did in the previous two years.

He's okay but he's far from good.

You have Jeff George's rocket arm, ryan fitzpatricks intangibles or andy Dalton's acceptable at everything.... Heaven forbid fans would see a chance to improve on any or all of those options.... Chandler is ok at everything and he won't ruin our season but he's one of our most clear opportunities to upgrade.

Quite easy to look at holes now that the draft is over... We just replaced quite possibly two spots on our line that were killing us, got a potential stud WR, and found options for the future at MLB, OT, and CB....

Rome wasn't built in a day, well, Jim Rome was built much quicker, but you know what I am saying...

Had we taken Ebron, we'd be here talking about trade Stevie, or should have gotten a tackle or some other nonsense...

Winning record- watch!

Regardless of stats, he had his worst season last year, which is why they didn't really go hard to re-sign him, and no one else did either, so he came back at a relatively low number. He got more catches because the receiver corp was so hobbled. He dropped balls, he dropped crucial balls, he fumbled away a game we had won, and he rarely made big plays the way he did in the previous two years.

He's okay but he's far from good.

Lets keep in mind his injury for perspective. He may not have been full go or limited .

I think Bills are glad to have him . But he is a known quantity

Lets keep in mind his injury for perspective. He may not have been full go or limited .

I think Bills are glad to have him . But he is a known quantity

I don't think he was discounting any of those points as much as saying that as far as career years go... Well... He had a lot of troubles. It might have been statistically his best but it wasn't his most impressive season. The guys reliable, it's just that's reliably average to slightly below. He typically won't be straight up bad either though.

. . . The Bills have NEVER had a TE so it's not like we are getting worse there. It is just an area where the Bills have always been bad. . . .

Well, it's not like the #1 offense in the league for a while was named the K-gun or anything.

So you think that Keith McKeller was a great player?

No, I don't think he was "great." You wrote that the Bills NEVER (all caps yours) had a TE, and also wrote that it's an area where we've "always" been bad. McKeller won't make anybody forget Tony Gonzalez, but TEs that can both catch and block, as opposed to just catch, are frequently under-rated. My point was simply that McKeller could not fairly be characterized as "bad," even if he didn't have gaudy reception stats. McKeller's versatility helped make the K-gun work, as explained with some historical context here:

http://www.buddynixon.com/analysis/the-kgun-offense-beyond-no-huddle

But this is an Internet message board, so if you want to claim that every Bills' TE who failed to make the Pro Bowl was "bad" - - post away.

I don't think he was discounting any of those points as much as saying that as far as career years go... Well... He had a lot of troubles. It might have been statistically his best but it wasn't his most impressive season. The guys reliable, it's just that's reliably average to slightly below. He typically won't be straight up bad either though.

Right. The fact that no one really tried to sign him is pretty much all you need to know. He's decent. We could do a little worse and we could do a lot better.

No, I don't think he was "great." You wrote that the Bills NEVER (all caps yours) had a TE, and also wrote that it's an area where we've "always" been bad. McKeller won't make anybody forget Tony Gonzalez, but TEs that can both catch and block, as opposed to just catch, are frequently under-rated. My point was simply that McKeller could not fairly be characterized as "bad," even if he didn't have gaudy reception stats. McKeller's versatility helped make the K-gun work, as explained with some historical context here:

http://www.buddynixon.com/analysis/the-kgun-offense-beyond-no-huddle

But this is an Internet message board, so if you want to claim that every Bills' TE who failed to make the Pro Bowl was "bad" - - post away.

I said and stand by TE being the weakest position group in franchise history. If it isn't feel free to tell me which group is worse? People are excited about Chandler on here. There are about 25 TEs NOW that I would trade him for. I have listed them in other threads and I don't feel like reposting. If he set franchise records and is the 25th best TE currently how good have Bills TEs been? Edited by Kirby Jackson

I was speaking to last year. The stats were misleading. Scott struggled .

I said and stand by TE being the weakest position group in franchise history. If it isn't feel free to tell me which group is worse? People are excited about Chandler on here. There are about 25 TEs NOW that I would trade him for. I have listed them in other threads and I don't feel like reposting. If he set franchise records and is the 25th best TE currently how good have Bills TEs been?

seriously ? Excited ?

Bills dont use the Te as do some other team i refuse to speak of , and the saints .

They have enough receiving threats now to not care.

Now if Scott could just drive his blocks a little more.....

Edited by 3rdand12

So now for TE we're left with a guy who 31 teams didn't offer a contract to, a guy who hasn't played in 2 years and a 7th rounder. TE is an important part of today's NFL and we have nothing

Except the guy who caught the most passes on the team last year and is 6'7 with great hands.

Yep... I was pretty eager to see it too.

Me too ! I think he would have or could have been a great TE … When they said he bulked up & the possibility of him moving to the TE position with the history of the Bills moving players & being successful i was like YAH !!

The kid has great hands & size i don't get why he didn't at least get a real chance to try out at that spot . But i emailed Chris Brown & he said he didn't see it happening , so good call i guess ??

So, if Hackett fails you'll blame it on the release of a UDFA WR? Seriously?

No.

WHEN Nat Hackett fails it will be because he's a lousy OC. -Terrible, is actually closer to the truth.

The Kaufman kid has awesome hands. The fact that Hackett has no place for that anywhere in his offense is a bad sign. I mean at least get the kid in TC, and see what happens...

Four months out, I'm calling it proof of a flawed decision-making process. Or should I say further proof.

Guess we'll see.

No.

WHEN Nat Hackett fails it will be because he's a lousy OC. -Terrible, is actually closer to the truth.

The Kaufman kid has awesome hands. The fact that Hackett has no place for that anywhere in his offense is a bad sign. I mean at least get the kid in TC, and see what happens...

Four months out, I'm calling it proof of a flawed decision-making process. Or should I say further proof.

Guess we'll see.

You actually think the OC makes the call on whether a player is on the roster or not? All this hand wringing over the twice released Kaufman is beyond hilarious. Oh, the Bills better hurry up and change their collective minds before some other team signs this emerging superstar. :lol:

No.

Guess we'll see.

I think they did get the kid in TC last year, and saw what happened.Of all the things to complain about with this team, you are choosing this?

Everyone knows you're doomed when you cut the 5th string TE; a former UDFA that was cut & re-signed as a street FA because nobody wanted him, who never played the position, had to add 25 lbs to a WR frame, has zero NFL catches, and went undrafted despite playing at the FCS Mecca known as Eastern Washington.

Everyone knows you're doomed when you cut the 5th string TE; a former UDFA that was cut & re-signed as a street FA because nobody wanted him, who never played the position, had to add 25 lbs to a WR frame, has zero NFL catches, and went undrafted despite playing at the FCS Mecca known as Eastern Washington.

14 years! This is why.

I think they did get the kid in TC last year, and saw what happened.Of all the things to complain about with this team, you are choosing this?

And then practices the last month of the season when he returned after no interest from anyone, and then spring workouts too. He's not a total unknown even though we haven't seen him. I think a lot of posters forget that.

Except the guy who caught the most passes on the team last year and is 6'7 with great hands.

except that drop against Atlanta that guaranteed we lost that game in Toronto.

;-)

And let's not forget that he is 6'7" and plays like he's Nathan Gerbe

Edited by mrags

;-)

And let's not forget that he is 6'7" and plays like he's Nathan Gerbe

It may have guaranteed the loss, but the defense made up for any chance the offense had to win.

:thumbsup:

;-)

The Bills had 2 chances to win that game before Chandlers fumble...The PI on Robey, then Stevie's fumble...And I'm not trying to make excuses for Chandler...Just saying in chronological order, he was the third of three big mistakes that cost us that game...It should have never got that far... B-)

:thumbsup:

The Bills had 2 chances to win that game before Chandlers fumble...The PI on Robey, then Stevie's fumble...And I'm not trying to make excuses for Chandler...Just saying in chronological order, he was the third of three big mistakes that cost us that game...It should have never got that far... B-)

yeah. Except his fumble was a direct relation to the loss. Stevie's only cost us a win. Didn't guarantee a loss. Chandlers guaranteed a loss.

yeah. Except his fumble was a direct relation to the loss. Stevie's only cost us a win. Didn't guarantee a loss. Chandlers guaranteed a loss.

Pettine's glorious defense letting a dejected, nothing to play for Atlanta team score 21 straight also directly related to the loss.

Bummer I like Kaufman his hands. Should have been a good NFL Europe project player, think he has a shot to make it to the roster somewhere guy just needs to get his shot/break like so many do.