Kiper gives Bills low marks in draft

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That assessment is nothing short of laughable. Draft grades that immediately follow the proceedings are certainly interesting, but actually have close to no meaning.

I actually liked how Kiper assigned the grades. Value and need are the only things you can assess at this stage. Know one knows how well these guys will play as pros. I love Watkins, but the Bills paid a lot to get him, so I can understand his value grade.. I do disagree with his needs grade. The Bills potentially filled several needs.

I'd love to have job where I could make as much or more than I do and have zero accountability. I don't know about most people, but iI make recommendations that could mean millions (won and lost) to my clients and my firm.

That's what's so useless about analysts who who don't have to own up to what they say. Whaley and Marrone, like most executive/coaches in the league actually have their livelihood on the line.

I think it would entertaining to have Kiper et al actually have to debate a team's leadership on whether or not the picks made sense. Won't happen, but that's why most sport, political and other analysts can be infuriating.

Didn't Kiper say Cordy Glenn would never be a good left tackle? Um, yeah. I hoped that d-bag watched the Kansas City game where he owned Hali. He's a jerk.

My favorite was when they were showing clips of him getting beat and it was his backup.

Mel had to eat it after last years draft and adjust the Bills grade up later, he'll have to do the same thing again. The fact is the Bills are questioned because they are the Bills. People are banking on the Bills having another awful season and their 2015 first being a high pick. Bills win 10 games and all that changes. If Whaley et al hit on this year's picks like they did last year, they'll get higher grades off the bat next year.

Edited by DC Grid

Bleacher Report has come quite a long way since its inception and they actually have quite a few excellent and very professional writers/analysts in their arsenal. Some of the most succinct and meaningful NFL analysis that I have seen recently has come via Bleacher Report.

No doubt. I'm talking about back when Russell Wilson was drafted, when BR was definitely a haven for amateurs -- with a few people who knew what they were doing building up a dossier of bylines.

Trading away Stevie Johnson has to go in the decision. We now have to rely on the questionable Mike Williams and having a 6 foot nothing receiver be a #1. We have no size in the receiver position not a way to be successful in todays NFL undersized receivers with no TE

Edited by uticaclub

Trading away Stevie Johnson has to go in the decision. We now have to rely on the questionable Mike Williams and having a 6 foot nothing receiver be a #1. We have no size in the receiver position not a way to be successful in todays NFL undersized receivers with no TE

Our three main WR are 6'-1" 211, 6'-2" 212, and 6' 190. That's plenty of size.

Both Watkins and Williams play much bigger than their size with an ability to go up and contest in 50/50 jump ball situations. It's one of the reasons why Mike Williams has been so effective as an End Zone target in his NFL career to date. Ramses Barden could also make the team in the place of either Hogan or Graham.

What do you think of Steve Smith as a player? What about Jerry Rice?

Watkins is an inch shorter than Rice with more bulk to him, FYI. Smith is the toughest MF pound for pound in the league over a decade +, and a HOF if I had a vote.

Size isn't everything. It helps, but Mike Williams has it -- with a track record to boot. There are definitely some moving parts to this WR corps but I think there is a lot of balance.

For me the main issue is that we are trusting very hard that Mike Williams will not f--- up at life any more.

I guess I withhold my judgement of Kiper's grade or the draft picks in general, because I don't know much about college football. But, just one thought: is drafting Watkins really the difference between a deep-run playoff team and 6-10 perpetuity?

Mel Kiper is a maroon.

Quoted for internet eternity.

Edited by kas23

What do you think of Steve Smith as a player? What about Jerry Rice?

Watkins is an inch shorter than Rice with more bulk to him, FYI. Smith is the toughest MF pound for pound in the league over a decade +, and a HOF if I had a vote.

Size isn't everything. It helps, but Mike Williams has it -- with a track record to boot. There are definitely some moving parts to this WR corps but I think there is a lot of balance.

For me the main issue is that we are trusting very hard that Mike Williams will not f--- up at life any more.

Jerry Rice played 20 years ago and happened to be the greatest WR ever who played with 2 HoF QBs and Steve Smith is a special player too, but there was no reason to cut Stevie this year. Name the top 10 receivers right now at least 8 of them are over 6'4" something we don't have. Getting rid of talent isn't how you win. I just don't see how it was a good move

Kiper says we didn't address needs? ? ?

Question: What was the worst part of our game? Answer: The passing game.

Response: We drafted a WR, the best one on the board. in the draft. I think that addresses a need.

OL - We drafted a stud RT in round 2 (potential 1st rounder) and a great prospect for OG in round 5. Then a project OT in round 7.

Value: RB - we traded a 4th rounder for a 22 year old veteran RB that already has played in the NFL and looks pretty damm good.

Reminder: Next year Freddy and CJ's contracts are up.

Value and need: DB - We pick up a corner in round 4.

Value and need: LB- we picked up an ILB to back up Spikes in round 3.

TE - Well we missed this position. Ok Mel.

Edited by Bob in STL

I lost any respect for Kiper's analysis after this assesment of Jimmy Clausen:

-- “I had him as the fourth-best player,” Kiper said in a post-draft conference call. “That’s my rating. That’s my opinion, and I’ll stand by it. We’ll see what happens three years from now.”

Well it's been three years Mel and we have seen..lol