WR Stevie Johnson traded to San Francisco 49ers

Why don't you balance out and show his positives instead of just focusing on the negatives?

Excellent.

Doug Whaley continues to move quickly to jettison the moribund culture of 'good enough' that this team has operated under for far too long...

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to Stevie in San Fran. Like him as a player, but sometimes you just need a fresh start. Hope they lose to us in the Super Bowl this year. :D All the rest of you that are on the brink, step away from the ledge because it isn't that bad. We still have a good group of WR's and we have no idea what Stevie and Doug talked about behind closed doors. I'm pretty sure Doug did his best to accomodate Stevie in brokering a deal with the 49ers. Best to him going back home and I wish him success.

How do you figure? Johnson had more yards, and tds with less games played. I won't argue that Woods might have more upside, but statistically Johnson was better last year despite playing through injuries.

Uh...Stevie had 10 more yards and the same amount of TD's in one less start...than a rookie.

Oh my god. By your logic, every team except the Redskins and Seahawks gave up their 1st round pick.

We didn't give up or 1st round pick to the Browns. You are 100% right on that. We spent it though. We spent this years, next years 1st and next years 4th. Those 3 picks are gone to select one player. How can you argue this?

Again I didn't have a problem with it, until we gave away our best receiver (until proven otherwise) to do it.

This could all fall apart very easily if Watkins doesn't turn out, or Williams does something stupid, or isn't deemed with 6 million next year.

Stevie is a uniquely talented individual. I hope he has great success with the niners.

This was clearly cap related. He was going to be an $8.5 million cap hit over the next three years. Doug clearly has other plans for that money.

Uniquely talented to run routes in front of the first down markers on 3rd down, to not stretch the field, to drop TD passes, and to perform asinine celebrations against the coaches direction.

A fourth rounder (conditional 3rd) is great value for an average receiver with his mileage. Especially being a salary cap dump.

Watkins has the potential to be a difference maker, a game changer. We already know what Stevie is; he is a decent possession receiver. He is a number 2 or 3 on most teams.

I am excited to see what Watkins can do.

No. We no longer have a fourth round pick in 2015, and we no longer have this years 1st, and next years 1st. All for Watkins. (Which I didn't have a problem with, until we got rid of our best receiver (until proven otherwise) to recoup the 4th round pick)

How else are we supposed to draft a player in the first round without using our pick??? We can't sign an IOU or use Bitcoin. Yes, we use our first round pick to draft a player (just as Cleveland used our first round pick to draft Gilbert). We have a net loss of ONE FIRST ROUND pick (2015).

this is a good take on it. If he didn't perform this year, which is a high possibility given the lack of chemistry he had with EJ when he was in games, and his injury issues, he would have had no value next year. This is a pretty good return. Also a good get for the 49ers because he won't draw top corner coverage (crabetree will) and will provide Kap another receiver.

It also saves us money towards the cap NEXT year. Where it would not have if we waited.

congrats haters you win. you got what you wanted, obviously he was holding the team back from winning the super bowl. good thing the bills have a bunch of unproven players. hate this move, good for stevie now he has a chance to win some games and possibly a super bowl. i am not pleased at all. really pissed.

What a stupid stupid stupid effing team. I hate being a bills fan.

Go tear it up back home in San Fran, Stevie.

Man SDS, my 16 pages are full and I'm only into page 2 of this thread. You've got to change your policies...

We didn't give up or 1st round pick to the Browns. You are 100% right on that. We spent it though. We spent this years, next years 1st and next years 4th. Those 3 picks are gone to select one player. How can you argue this?

Again I didn't have a problem with it, until we gave away our best receiver (until proven otherwise) to do it.

This could all fall apart very easily if Watkins doesn't turn out, or Williams does something stupid, or isn't deemed with 6 million next year.

If Stevie Johnson was undisputably the best receiver on the team, then nobody would be disputing it. But they are. They have been. Throughout last season, throughout this thread...for a long time now.

congrats haters you win. you got what you wanted, obviously he was holding the team back from winning the super bowl. good thing the bills have a bunch of unproven players. hate this move, good for stevie now he has a chance to win some games and possibly a super bowl. i am not pleased at all. really pissed.

I'll stand up for the "haters" here and guarantee you, without a doubt, Whaley and co. traded Stevie based on their observations, not mine.

His contract (without the signing bonus which will count against our cap with or without trade):

Base: $3,650,000

Workout Bonus: $275,000

Cap #: $3,925,000

Base: $5,500,000

Roster Bonus: $250,000

Cap #: $6,025,000

Base: $5,850,000

Cap #: $6,125,000

Find me one quality number 2 receiver for that kind of money. Stupid business move is a stupid business move. There may be other reasons behind this trade, such as complete lack of chemistry between him and EJ and maybe even struggles with coach. But a good coach would fix that.

It's a bad business decision in your opinion. Coaches and GM's put their stamp on an organization. It's not the mark of a good coach to try and make everyone happy. It's his job to put the best team on the field, by his view. Obviously the current staff felt that he didn't fit.

Where they right? The team's 2014 record will be the determining factor.

As far as the Bills being "broke".........sorry but it's not true.

It's a bad business decision in your opinion. Coaches and GM's put their stamp on an organization. It's not the mark of a good coach to try and make everyone happy. It's his job to put the best team on the field, by his view. Obviously the current staff felt that he didn't fit.

Where they right? The team's 2014 record will be the determining factor.

As far as the Bills being "broke".........sorry but it's not true.

The guys at WGR who walk the hallways at OBD and see the members of this organization interact have been saying repeatedly that Marrone/Whaley just weren't big fans of Stevie.

You're right. Your opinion holds much more weigh than the 49ers. They suck at judging talent. I mean what have they done lately? :rolleyes:

Come on, they gave up what is being reported as afourth maybe a third rounder NEXT year. That is the equivalent of not that much. It is a good move for everyone.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Unless I am forgetting something, since Whaley has assumed control he has made five trades.

1) Our #1 last year for EJ and Kiko. Even if you don't like EJ yet, that was a helluva trade.

2) Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes. Highway robbery.

3) Mike Williams for a 6th rounder. We don't know yet but that seems like a steal.

4) The Watkins trade. That is a swing for the fences deal. I love it. A lot of people don't but we won't know for three years (unless he's an absolute stud as a rookie, which I doubt).

5) now the Stevie one.

The only ones we know the answer to were great trades. The next one seems like a very good one. So I am giving Whaley the benefit of the doubt in building a team and a roster.

On the surface, we didn't get a lot of return for Stevie. Although many people think that Mike Williams is a better player and we only gave up a sixth for him. But the GM's job is to build a team. The combination of Watkins, MWilliams, Woods and Goodwin is very exciting to me, especially with Spiller.

You'll get over it, Whaley forgot more about talent evaluation when he woke up this morning than you have ever known, I think I'll go with his judgement of what needs to be done especially since he knows a all of the behind the scenes stuff we don't.

We gave up our most productive receiver for a fourth (maybe 3rd)...

First WR with back-to-back-to-back 1000 yard seasons...

We gave up two first round and a fourth round pick for someone who hasn't played a down in the NFL yet...

We said we're trying to get EJ as many weapons as possible while trading away the most productive receiver on the roster...

Man I feel like we're just spinning our wheels in the mud.

Good luck Stevie! I followed you since UK, and wish you much success. You're going to great organization.

Edited by voodoo poonani