Richard Sherman was the NFL's Highest Paid CB

He is def the best CB in the game. Much better than Revis ever was IMO.

That is still a lot of coin for one player though. Kam Chancelor will want similar to byrd money I would think too.

Chancellor is the SS and was extended last season 5yr/$34 mil.

Chancellor is the SS and was extended last season 5yr/$34 mil.

Yup - add that to earl Thomas and Wilson being one year away and I think we see this team start shedding guys like Avril, and even marshawn soon. Seattle could really get hurt if the nfl starts cracking down on the physical secondary play

What's funny is how Revis will try and parlay this with NE or someone else for this kind of money. He made $16 million last year and I believe $13 mil this year.

These guys are getting too much not from the standpoint they didn't earn it, but how much it takes off the cap. QB's as well are Ina long term business strategy running team slowly once they are paid into the ground as the team can't afford the rest of their talent.

Look at Brady. He on the other hand took I think $16 mil a year, and the team has the ability to retain their best talent. He is arguibly the best QB in football. People never want to admit it as so many people, not just Buffalonians hate the Patriots.

This is a bad deal with $40 mil guaranteed. Also, when someone said he is the CB in football, I would rather have Patrick Peterson. He is the most versatile player in the league, and covers just as well. He just doesn't self promote like some of these guys.

Yup - add that to earl Thomas and Wilson being one year away and I think we see this team start shedding guys like Avril, and even marshawn soon. Seattle could really get hurt if the nfl starts cracking down on the physical secondary play

This has always (despite what aoplogists around some parts say) a win now league. It would be foolish for the Seahawks to do anything but maximize their chances of repeating as SB champs. If they lose a few guys down the road--that's the name of the game. As long as they keep their QB, they should be able to move guys in and out. That defensive backfield isn't a bunch of 1st round picks, you know...

He is def the best CB in the game. Much better than Revis ever was IMO.

That is still a lot of coin for one player though. Kam Chancelor will want similar to byrd money I would think too.

Disagree. He plays with the best S in the game and another really good one in Chancellor. Revis played with Jim Leonhard. He's good no doubt but he plays in the best secondary in the NFL. That's helps him be more aggressive because he will always have Earl Thomas over the top. Hopefully, he will shut up now.

might be hard to keep the team together satring next year.

The other suggestion about officiating getting more aggressive with Defensive Secondaties such as Seattle is a subject i will be paying mind to.

Disagree. He plays with the best S in the game and another really good one in Chancellor. Revis played with Jim Leonhard. He's good no doubt but he plays in the best secondary in the NFL. That's helps him be more aggressive because he will always have Earl Thomas over the top. Hopefully, he will shut up now.

Regardless of ET's presence in the Seattle secondary, Sherman has elite one on one coverage skills and damn good ball skills too. Give him his due as difficult as that might be for you. I wouldn't count on him becoming quiet to suit your taste as his trash talking is the fuel that he needs to excel.

might be hard to keep the team together satring next year.

The other suggestion about officiating getting more aggressive with Defensive Secondaties such as Seattle is a subject i will be paying mind to.

Eventually it may catch up to them and they'll have to cut or trade a couple of their stars, but right now, they have an absurd number of impact starters and might as well go all in on the next couple of years.

Regardless of ET's presence in the Seattle secondary, Sherman has elite one on one coverage skills and damn good ball skills too. Give him his due as difficult as that might be for you. I wouldn't count on him becoming quiet to suit your taste as his trash talking is the fuel that he needs to excel.

I said he was good in my original post. I just think having Earl Thomas instead of Leonhard is about as big of advantage as a cb could have.

FYI, it's funny that people want to trade SJ when he had one of the best games a wr has ever had against Sherman.

That is one expensive secondary.

my thoughts exactly

Legion of Salary Cap BOOM!!!!!

How long till they need to pony up for Wilson?

i believe after this season which is his third

I said he was good in my original post. I just think having Earl Thomas instead of Leonhard is about as big of advantage as a cb could have.

FYI, it's funny that people want to trade SJ when he had one of the best games a wr has ever had against Sherman.

Seattle also has a far better pass rush. That, even more so than great safeties, helps a CB. But I've watch Sherman and he usually sticks to his man like glue. He makes the play when he needs to (final play in the NFCCG).

Agreed about SJ. His style is unconventional and unpredictable. While that has caused some disconnects with EJ, he can certainly evade the coverage of the league's best.

Seattle also has a far better pass rush. That, even more so than great safeties, helps a CB. But I've watch Sherman and he usually sticks to his man like glue. He makes the play when he needs to (final play in the NFCCG).

Agreed about SJ. His style is unconventional and unpredictable. While that has caused some disconnects with EJ, he can certainly evade the coverage of the league's best.

I know RS is really good. But he is in a great situation. Nevertheless, props to him for earning himself big money.

And I like to believe SJ will be much better with EJ this year because they both missed a bunch of practice time last year. One fo the reasone SJ and Fitz were good together was they were both backups and practiced alot together.

Eventually it may catch up to them and they'll have to cut or trade a couple of their stars, but right now, they have an absurd number of impact starters and might as well go all in on the next couple of years.

Oh i agree they are still at the top of their game .

Denver and SF are bubble teams too i suppose

Oh i agree they are still at the top of their game .

Denver and SF are bubble teams too i suppose

Every good team is a bubble team unless you have an elite QB. Denver is close to losing theirs to retirement, and we'll see in another year or two if Wilson and Kaep can find their way to the top, but as of now they are definitely reliant on those defenses and running games.

Every good team is a bubble team unless you have an elite QB. Denver is close to losing theirs to retirement, and we'll see in another year or two if Wilson and Kaep can find their way to the top, but as of now they are definitely reliant on those defenses and running games.

Denver is a in a no holds barred win now mentaliy because of Manning i suppose. They are on the down side of my bubble mentality C

This has always (despite what aoplogists around some parts say) a win now league. It would be foolish for the Seahawks to do anything but maximize their chances of repeating as SB champs. If they lose a few guys down the road--that's the name of the game. As long as they keep their QB, they should be able to move guys in and out. That defensive backfield isn't a bunch of 1st round picks, you know...

of course its win now - i guess what i was getting at is with these 3 and wilson combining for over 50m annually (obviously not exact based on structure and whatever wilson actually ends up with next year)(and if you count harvin thats 6 players for right about 50% of the cap potentially on fairly new contracts), they wont be able to stock quite the level of talent that they are used to in the future. itll be a test of both wilson, as well as that secondary not to have quite the same front 7 helping them (unless they continue hitting huge homeruns in the draft).

win now, could potentially be a serious WIN NOW, for the team.

Edited by NoSaint

We need to lock up Gilmore on the cheap ASAP. He is going to be just as good as these guys, IMO, and this is CRAZY money...

I think they'll work on he and Glenn just as soon as they're permitted to, which is after this season according to the CBA

Not anymore:

http://profootballta...t-through-2019/

"The signing bonus, the full guarantee and the amount guaranteed for injury all surpass the deal that Richard Sherman just signed with Seattle."

NFL = Not For Long Patrick Peterson is the next CB to get a mega deal.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Thing is though that NFL clubs really have to sit down and think about this for a minute. Does paying RS all that jazz really better than paying someone a quarter of that and maybe giving up two or three TD's more a year? I just don't get how they value players in this league?

Tim-

haden gets $45 mil guaranteed ( 5 YR/ $68 MIL)

jairus only got $28 mil guaranteed......

yup - a little perspective on getting a high end corner vs a high end safety. byrd was pricey, but his position did dictate a pretty huge discount from corner, DE.

just a bit of perspective for when someone argues dont pay a safety - even when you pay them you arent PAYING them. whether or not you think byrd is worth 9m, i think its good to keep in perspective what you get at other positions for that cost as a relative benchmark.

To me, the only players that are worth top dollar are elite quarterbacks and pass rushers. You have to be an unbelievable talent at your position to warrant that kind of money. Adrian Peterson is worth it. Richard Sherman is worth it. Calvin Johnson is worth it.

Haden is really good, but paying him that kind of money is not going to help turn Cleveland into a winner. Am I wrong or does that contract seem like a bit much? There's always this desire to be highest-paid, but come on.

Thing is though that NFL clubs really have to sit down and think about this for a minute. Does paying RS all that jazz really better than paying someone a quarter of that and maybe giving up two or three TD's more a year? I just don't get how they value players in this league?

Tim-

A great CBs contribution isn't limited by the number of TDs he gives up. Far from it. Great CBs influence all sorts of things on the defense from a schematic standpoint that effects the other 10 guys out there and, by extension, the opposing offense.

GO BILLS!!!

Richard Sherman calls out Patrick Peterson over contract talks

It’s been a few days since we’ve heard from Seattle Seahawks defensive back Richard Sherman, apparently a few days too long for the Pro Bowl talent.

The former Stanford defender took to social media recently to call out Arizona Cardinals defensive back Patrick Peterson, who earlier in the week stated that he believed he was better than Sherman.

• 2 weeks later...