Ultimate Smokescreen - Manziel

Mr. Football would be a mistake IMHO, sort of a Doug Flutie 2.0.

I guess I don't agree with your assessment of Flutie. He was never given a chance to really show what he was capable of. I am not saying draft Manziel, just saying Flutie was not a bust in my mind. Honestly, I would be happy if EJ could at least even turn out to be Flutie 2.0. I'm not sure he can even accomplish that. I can only hope.

Mike Mayock elevated Manziel to his #1QB, and last I've heard he likes Mack over Clowney.

I get all the hype over Clowney, really. But c'mon, the kid only had three sacks last year, and seemed to disappear during some games. #1 overall...I can see why the Texans might want to trade back a few spots.

Listening to Doug Whaley he states the team has no weak areas and will draft BPA. If that is the case then perhaps the Bills are looking at a QB who can scramble and make plays like Johnny Football.

You first mistake is putting any stock into what a GM says before the draft. And if the Bills had the same 13 year old mentality as some fans and need to replace players, much less a QB after one year, why would you ever trust them to draft another one?

Bortles is definitely clutch

Yeah against 2-10 Temple. Yet, EJ needs to be replaced after leading a comeback against the #2 defense in the NFL and a playoff team. You have the logic of a 10 year old. :)

I always like to look at the rest of the college team, when thinking about the Bills drafting a player whose position requires co-ordination with or depends upon another position on the team. Punters and kickers you can evaluate on the basis of their success and the environment they kicked in. With a safety or quarterback, the play of the supporting cast is important. A defensive tackle lined up next to a top 10pick defensive end is not going to get a lot of double coverage and will look better.

For Manziel, he was on a very good football team. He may have had the best offensive tackles in college and maybe even the pros protecting him. It is easy to run around and evade defenders like magic, if the man pass rushers are neutralized. Let's consider the offensive tackles. In 2013 OT Luke Joeckel was draft #2 overall and RB Michael was drafted in the second round. In 2014 Manziel had Mathews at LOT and he is likely an overall top 5->15 pick. At the other tackle last year he had Ogbuehi (6-5 300) who was not exactly chopped liver and will get a FA look. He also had Evans to throw to. How good would Manziel and would his game be if he was being swamped by defensive linemen?

Excellent point. I challenge any of the Johnny Football lovers to answer this: what successful NFL QB has played with 2 top 10 draft pick OTs and a 6'5" top 10 receiver? Hint: not many, if any at all.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

FWIW, Sal was on local Rochester radio while I was driving to work and his thoughts are that the Bills will:

1) Take Sammy Watkins at 9 if he is there

else

2) Take an OT if one they really like is still there at 9

else

3) Take Ebron at 9.

With a wildcard of trading up if they really REALLY love one of the OTs

Also said he would not be surprised if they get Watkins (or any WR in the 1st) that SJ13 gets cut during camp, and would catch on quickly on another team as a #2 or a #3.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I guess I don't agree with your assessment of Flutie. He was never given a chance to really show what he was capable of. I am not saying draft Manziel, just saying Flutie was not a bust in my mind. Honestly, I would be happy if EJ could at least even turn out to be Flutie 2.0. I'm not sure he can even accomplish that. I can only hope.

I qualified my statement in my next post. I certainly never said or thought Flutie was a bust. I would have started him in the PO game :wallbash: RJ was a joke and I never liked him at all. Just for the record.

i think a good strategy is to draft a qb by the mid to late rounds every season, let him be a backup and if has one good game, trade him for someones first round pick the next season, like how we got rob johnson after his one good game debut. He also may end up being good enough to play all season and we could trade him anyway for a first like how we gave up a 1 for bledsoe and I think the cheifs did for Cassel. Its a cheap and quick way to make a low draft pick into a high draft pick and give your team a backup qb to boot. He may even turn into the next Brady or Foles .

I agree with this. Unless there is someone else you are very high on (Kiko), then take a QB to use as trade bait.

FWIW, Sal was on local Rochester radio while I was driving to work and his thoughts are that the Bills will:

else

else

3) Take Ebron at 9.

Also said he would not be surprised if they get Watkins (or any WR in the 1st) that SJ13 gets cut during camp, and would catch on quickly on another team as a #2 or a #3.

SJ gets "cut"???? This would be an epic failure by the Bills FO IMO. He has some trade value.

else

else

3) Take Ebron at 9.

No chance this happens

CBF

SJ gets "cut"???? This would be an epic failure by the Bills FO IMO. He has some trade value.

What trade value does he have? Given the recent history of players like him, I don't see much. This is not a knock on Johnson; just a comment on the difficulty of trading vets who have played a half dozen seasons and have real wear-and-tear to go with their sizable contracts.

The theory was he could not be traded with his current contract (#1 money). But teams would want him for a #2 or a #3 while paying accordingly.

@PurpleForTheWin: Girlfriends of the NFL Draft QBs @NFLRT pic.twitter.com/q1hQ1D2vqO

Bm34SMnCUAAcxtf.jpg

Haha. Wait, so if you play QB for a major program, you can score hot chicks? I feel like I should do a million dollar research project on this.

All those guys are really lucky too. Besides Murray, Bortles, McCarron, and Johnny the Hobbit are goofy looking mofos.

Haha. Wait, so if you play QB for a major program, you can score hot chicks? I feel like I should do a million dollar research project on this.

All those guys are really lucky too. Besides Murray, Bortles, McCarron, and Johnny the Hobbit are goofy looking mofos.

Gold digging is a beautiful thing if you are holding the gold.

Mike Mayock elevated Manziel to his #1QB, and last I've heard he likes Mack over Clowney.

I get all the hype over Clowney, really. But c'mon, the kid only had three sacks last year, and seemed to disappear during some games. #1 overall...I can see why the Texans might want to trade back a few spots.

Listening to Doug Whaley he states the team has no weak areas and will draft BPA. If that is the case then perhaps the Bills are looking at a QB who can scramble and make plays like Johnny Football.

Mayock on Gabbert: 'He's the first quarterback off the board': http://content.usato...off-the-board/1

"Bottom line, he's the first quarterback off the board, and it wouldn't surprise me if Carolina takes him at No. 1," Mayock said on Path to the Draft.

Mayock has Gabbert rated ahead of Newton as the 2011 draft's top QB prospect.

:lol: :lol:

I qualified my statement in my next post. I certainly never said or thought Flutie was a bust. I would have started him in the PO game :wallbash: RJ was a joke and I never liked him at all. Just for the record.

I haven't looked up his stats, but if you discount that one year in SD when they were one of the worst teams in football, I'll bet that Flutie's winning % is in the top 10% in NFL history.

I haven't looked up his stats, but if you discount that one year in SD when they were one of the worst teams in football, I'll bet that Flutie's winning % is in the top 10% in NFL history.

:wallbash:

Wow.

Hate to break it to you, but Flutie's days in SD are pretty consistent stat wise with the rest of his career in the NFL.

If there is 1 outlier in Flutie's performance, it's 1998.

Furthermore, win/loss or winning percentages are NOT an individual stat.

But for ****s and giggles, Fluties NFL career winning percentage is 58%.

Edit: Whoops. Apparently there is an issue with the word filter.

Edited by Cynical

Mayock on Gabbert: 'He's the first quarterback off the board': http://content.usato...off-the-board/1

:lol: :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Gabbert certainly was the first QB off the....

team that drafted him! LOL!

It's a crapshoot fellas.

GO BILLS!!!

The biggest weakness is QB. Manziel may not be perect, but he is worth the risk vs. whoever else you drafy as Manuel will not make it. But the Bills will never go for it and we are stuck with Manuel for the next 2 years until we draft another QB in 2016 :o(

I always like to look at the rest of the college team, when thinking about the Bills drafting a player whose position requires co-ordination with or depends upon another position on the team. Punters and kickers you can evaluate on the basis of their success and the environment they kicked in. With a safety or quarterback, the play of the supporting cast is important. A defensive tackle lined up next to a top 10pick defensive end is not going to get a lot of double coverage and will look better.

And that's how the Bills were fooled (fools?) on John McCargo. His linemates at North Carolina St were Mario Williams and Manny Lawson. Funny how the other two also became Bills.

so what's plan if Johnny Hobbit has as good or worse of a rookie year than EJ? Draft another guy in the 1st?

Should he have a better year than the nothing Manuel showed us, HE gets next year to see if he can yet improve on a promising rookie campaign. But, yes, keep spending picks on QB's. Produce or hit the road. Think Kelly, Reich & Gilbert. Until we get close to that again, keeping pickin' 'em