Hypo: If Freddy goes 850 yds on 200 carries, scores 6-8 TDs in '14

Hyde is expected to go late 2nd at the earliest and I think he gets taken first.. I think the Bills wait until 3rd at the earliest. Jeremy Hill or Andre Williams are my guess.

for some reason, Tre Mason isn't been talked about a lot. I also like the physical talent of James Wilder Jr of FSU. This draft is very deep at rb and no one takes them anymore. We could get a good young back in hte 4th or later. I like Hyde but him in the 2nd or higher makes zero sense for the Bills.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for some reason, Tre Mason isn't been talked about a lot. I also like the physical talent of James Wilder Jr of FSU. This draft is very deep at rb and no one takes them anymore. We could get a good young back in hte 4th or later. I like Hyde but him in the 2nd or higher makes zero sense for the Bills.

I don't think the Bills will take a RB high enough to get Hyde. Someone will do it though. Shocked if he falls to the 3rd. If he does, the Bills should grab him IMO.

...what do you do with him in 2015?

Let's just say all things are equal, meaning the Bills have a 3rd RB who is good, but not quite there yet and they DO resign CJ for 3-4 million per year (his hypo: 250 carries, 1125 yards 4 rushing TDs but better receiving numbers).

Do you look to the 2015 draft for a middle round replacement RB to be the #2 (or 1B) (which we may do this year anyways) or do you extend him an offer?

I'd give him 2 years, 4.5 million with one million guaranteed (or bonus) with a total for 2015 of no less than 2 million.

I think even one year further down the road, even though he has lost some steps, he gives you something that is not easily replaced.

...just a side discussion here waiting around for next Thursday.

GO BILLS!

Fred is actually a very easy decision. After this year, wherever he goes, it will be on a 1-year vet minimum type deal. I am hoping he stays with us, but who knows-- he might want to go try his hand on a winning team.

The Bills will supplement the RB position by FA or the draft too.

I would be very disappointed if FJ ever wears another team's jersey. I get that the NFL is a business, and theres little room, for sentimentality, but this is one of the few exceptions for me.

THIS

I love the way Freddie plays and his heart.... but even if he runs 1200 yrds. At some point, he will break down and I don't want to be left with a million dollar broken down RB. Draft RB this year in the 4th and again Next year in the 4th.

Trade him to Denver mid season. Give Freddie a shot at a SB... and get a 4th or 5th rd for him.

I love the way Freddie plays and his heart.... but even if he runs 1200 yrds. At some point, he will break down and I don't want to be left with a million dollar broken down RB. Draft RB this year in the 4th and again Next year in the 4th.

Trade him to Denver mid season. Give Freddie a shot at a SB... and get a 4th or 5th rd for him.

You'd be lucky to get a 7th for FJax at this point. He has more value to us than any other team.

You'd be lucky to get a 7th for FJax at this point. He has more value to us than any other team.

A Super Bowl team would give us a 4th or 5th for him mid season. If your making a run....He is the perfect veteran back up. Running the ball counts in the playoffs.

Edited by Iraq Vet

Yeah those 4th and 5th round picks are so valuable. They almost always work out. And god forbid we are paying him a million dollars. That is so expensive for an NFL player in 2014. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Freddy should be a Bill as long as he still wants to play.

I am on board if "wants to" is replaced with "can".

In my observation very few nfl RBs have aged gracefully. Marcus Allen might be one of a small group. Others like a Kevin Faulk were niche role rb's extending their career.

Most often it seems, you see them fall off of a production cliff.

He has been dinged up quite a bit for the past few seasons.. I think the Bills grab a RB this in somewhere in the 4-6 round range.

I like Fred but he is ancient in RB years. Yes I know how many NFL seasons he has under him but he was also playing ball prior to those.

I think he will still put out a productive season this year and maybe 1 more next year. I'd get a guy this year to be his replacement and for some grooming.

He has been dinged up quite a bit for the past few seasons.. I think the Bills grab a RB this in somewhere in the 4-6 round range.

I like Fred but he is ancient in RB years. Yes I know how many NFL seasons he has under him but he was also playing ball prior to those.

I think he will still put out a productive season this year and maybe 1 more next year. I'd get a guy this year to be his replacement and for some grooming.

He was playing ball but not NFL ball. That's important to remember. I doubt Euro league LB's and DT's hit as hard as NFL guys.

He was playing ball but not NFL ball. That's important to remember. I doubt Euro league LB's and DT's hit as hard as NFL guys.

I suspect it's not just hits, but actual normal aging that is catching up.... And that's in addition to I'm not sure how many years the nfl Europe thing could tack on regardless - he's been in the league, what, 6-7 years now? He'd be coming up on the 30 year wall if his career had a normal start AND he has the extra nfl Europe stuff in addition (it's starting to be a burden not an advantage if you frame it in nfl years instead of his age).

Edited by NoSaint

If Freddie is healthy when Free Agency begins next year, I think you let him test the waters. He and the Bills will find out his true market value. I think Freddie would prefer to remain with the Bills if compensation were the same. His market value will be close to the league minimum and we resign him for one year. Maybe two and the cap hit to cut him after one will be minimal or make sure it is structured that way.

I understand the concern many have with him getting older...I do.

I know full well at some point he may have a precipitous drop off in production.

I also get that he had a serious injury that hampered him in 2012, and has been "dinged" since, and I am not looking to break the bank with him.

Additionally, as the BN article stated today many RBs reach their peak at 27 years old.

...the darn thing is that since turning 28 the guy has 951 carries for 4,256 yards and 25 TDs to go with 197 receptions for 1,632 yards and six additional TDs for a total of 5,888 yards and 31 TDs in essentially four and half season.

If he keeps that average going this year I am willing to gamble, what in NFL terms is a pittance, on at least another year or two.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Fred is a freak of nature. You keep him until he proves that he cannot do it anymore. He can still be a valuable cog for two more seasons. Normally you keep a third RB as a change of pace or developmental guy. We should have a RB being groomed but keep Fred and let him play a decent portion of the game until he's no longer productive. Last year was one of his best years, IMO, with the strength that he showed. Btw, his vet minimum for next year will be around $860,000 or something. Give him 1.5 at least. He's worth $500,000 in the locker room alone.

If we had more guys with Jackson's heart, we'd have made the playoffs. The guy does enough things like blitz pickup and short yardage where he can be your #3 RB for the next 2-3 years. Referring to Jackson as a misfit toy is beyond stupid.

If we had more talent we would have made the playoffs. Jackson is a wonderful player, but to assume he will be affective for 3 more years is unrealistic. If it happens great, but don't plan on it.

Fred is and has been the best offensive player on the team for several seasons. His whole story is one of hard work and getting there the hard way. he is one tough SOB.

One would think OBD knows this, in fact I'd bet on it. I say see what the man can do this year. if he stays healthy

Second string or whatever he's called he will still put up numbers, and remain the soul of the team.

His value IMO is at least on par with the Free agent scrub LG one of the worst at his position, yet signed to way more than vets minimum. Good grief.