Hypo: If Freddy goes 850 yds on 200 carries, scores 6-8 TDs in '14

...what do you do with him in 2015?

Let's just say all things are equal, meaning the Bills have a 3rd RB who is good, but not quite there yet and they DO resign CJ for 3-4 million per year (his hypo: 250 carries, 1125 yards 4 rushing TDs but better receiving numbers).

Do you look to the 2015 draft for a middle round replacement RB to be the #2 (or 1B) (which we may do this year anyways) or do you extend him an offer?

I'd give him 2 years, 4.5 million with one million guaranteed (or bonus) with a total for 2015 of no less than 2 million.

I think even one year further down the road, even though he has lost some steps, he gives you something that is not easily replaced.

...just a side discussion here waiting around for next Thursday.

GO BILLS!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this the last season we have CJ and Fred under contract? I wouldn't be surprised if we draft a RB this year to see how things shake out, simply because it's likely we'll lose one or both next year.

Sign him to a 2 year deal that is heavy incentive ladden. Give him a decent signing bonus for an over 30 RB, maybe 2 mil? base salary of 1.5mil per year and can double that with production? He most likely will not double it but maybe make around 2mil if he has decent numbers. Plus what he mean to the team can not be valued really. he is a pro and loves Buffalo.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I fully expect the Bills to draft a RB somewhere in rounds 2-4 next week as a replacement for FJ. Freddy will be 34 for the 2015 season and won't generate much attention on the open market. If the Bills value him as team leader they might keep him, but $2MM/yr is high.

Trade back to the early teens. Pick up an extra 2nd rounder. Trade back again to the 20s and pick up another 2nd rounder.

Then draft Hyde in the 1st.

Draft Safarini-Jenkins

Draft the best WR and OL with your remaining 2nd rounders.

Go Into the year as Hyde being your number 3. Slowly move him to number 1 as you trade CJ at the trade deadline for a 3rd or 4th.

Next offseason resign Freddy for league get minimum (he'll understand, he's freaking 100). Explain that you want him to be our 2nd or 3rd back and you really want him as a leader on this team (maybe pay him an extra million a season for that).

Draft or pick up FA RB next offseason to compete with Freddy as our #2 or #3 spot.

There. This post can be closed now.

Of course if CJ is in running for MVP of the league or something by the trade deadline it changes in that you resign him going forward. But then you have Hyde as the big bruising 2nd back and Freddy as your 3rd back. What a backfield that would be. Best Ever.

Math tells us that Fred will be lucky to finish this season. Sorry, there are few RBs his age.

The Bills need to draft his replacement next week.

and no RB in the game has his heart.

The guy is like Rocky. He is all heart. He is an incredible person and makes me proud to not only be a Bills fan but to just be human.

Between him and TJ Graham I'd have a tough decision...

I think they should extend him for 2 years if he is not ready to retire. It shouldn't cost much because with his age he won't make anything on the open market plus I anticipate he'd like to stay here while he is still playing. He and his family live here year round

Freddy should be a Bill as long as he still wants to play.

And we wonder why we haven't made the playoffs in 15 years. How about we get a guy who can start putting up 1300-1500 yards rushing and can stay healthy for most of a season if not the entire thing? Nah, lets just keep being the land of misfit toys and feel good stories. I mean hell, its worked the last decade and a half right?

Math tells us that Fred will be lucky to finish this season. Sorry, there are few RBs his age.

Just like they drafted Jackson, right? I know it's cliché now but RB's are a dime a dozen. Unless you're talking about taking a flier on a guy in the 5th round, then I'd have to disagree with you.

And we wonder why we haven't made the playoffs in 15 years. How about we get a guy who can start putting up 1300-1500 yards rushing and can stay healthy for most of a season if not the entire thing? Nah, lets just keep being the land of misfit toys and feel good stories. I mean hell, its worked the last decade and a half right?

I'd say it has, yeah. We've had a pretty consistent rushing attack during this entire streak of futility. Not to mention, we have used an inordinate number of high picks on running backs during the last 15 years already. Travis Henry, Willis McGahee, Marshawn Lynch, CJ, Spiller- all of whom, if I'm not mistaken, have put up 1300 yards, or at least 1200 yards. What are you talking about anyway?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

If we had more guys with Jackson's heart, we'd have made the playoffs. The guy does enough things like blitz pickup and short yardage where he can be your #3 RB for the next 2-3 years. Referring to Jackson as a misfit toy is beyond stupid.

It seems the league is moving toward 2-back systems, not a one back workhorse. You won't see many more Adrian Petersons and Marshawn Lynches. Anyway, yes, the Bills have been able to run the ball during that time. Unfortunately, you need to do more than that to make the playoffs.

What are you talking about? They haven't made the playoffs in 15 years because they haven't had a QB or been able to stop the run for almost all of that time. Meanwhile they've spent 3 firsts and a 2d on running backs!

I love that this discussion comes up every off-season and then Freddy goes out and kicks ass again and again. He doesn't fit into this little box of football assumptions that many of you can't see outside of so it's always "ok, THIS is finally the year he slows down".

I say pay the guy 5 million bucks a year for as long as he is able to keep playing. It's not my money and it's not like we'll ever be close to the cap. He's been one of the only reasons to watch the Bills the last few seasons and he's earned it, in my opinion.

I agree with this unfortunately. Hopefully, FJax will prove us wrong. Just don't spend a high pick on a rb.

I agree with this unfortunately. Hopefully, FJax will prove us wrong. Just don't spend a high pick on a rb.

Hyde is expected to go late 2nd at the earliest and I think he gets taken first.. I think the Bills wait until 3rd at the earliest. Jeremy Hill or Andre Williams are my guess.