• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LoL... bbb, you are like a fly to sh*t.

BTW, did you see my post above! ;-P ;-P

I can't shake you and this damn weather! LoL BTW, it is 75 and gorgeous today... ;-)

68 here. I love winter, but I'm so ready for warm weather now!

If they are coughing up $1 Billion, they are overpaying. Further, at that price the team is toast in Buffalo. That is a lot of money to earn back to get any rate of return.

No one that buys an NFL team earns there money bk on a yearly anymore. The initial investment for that team is basically moving funds for these Billionaires, from one bank to another. The Billion dollars is not lost. it has value threw the franchise and furthermore that value will go up even more when the NFL signs there new tv deal. Which is supposedly going double from 9bill to 18 billion. So if our new owner buys the team for even 1.5 bill it's a good deal. In a few yrs the lowest value of NFL team will be about that anyway. Besides all that the team with new stadium and all should be profiting anywhere from 30-50 mill pet yr

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

Very true. If it was like that ten years ago, then it must still be like that.

amazing how many out-of-towners who have come through Buffalo over the past year have commented on the visible signs of change. heck, we can see it reflected in the value of our home and the amount of new restaurants and businesses popping up in our neighborhood.

jw

amazing how many out-of-towners who have come through Buffalo over the past year have commented on the visible signs of change. heck, we can see it reflected in the value of our home and the amount of new restaurants and businesses popping up in our neighborhood.

jw

No doubt.

jw

What neighborhood/area are you referring to?

Sorry for knocking it. I come back every two or so months and it seems the same. What I have noticed is that businesses you mention seem to be more national/corporate now... A homogeneous change. That is not a bad thing! Still a lot of local places. They are fixing things up which is great. Slow but sure is a good thing!

Again... Sorry for knocking it.

I am gonna catch flak for this, watch. I am not trying to be mean, just living in reality. To answer your question. Part of the problem is because it is such a crap shoot weatherwise. You speak of "the Lake." It is already April 21st, you wanna be next to this? What can be done? These days of the year, you can't do anything with "The Lake."

http://www.iceboom.nypa.gov/

It is the same reason why business and investment isn't too terribly attracted to remote places like this:

http://wavesatseacav...04-21_12_30.jpg

I am sorry, it is what it is. I love Buffalo and Western New York, but it is handcuffed in so many ways! Business and investment doesn't like chance. Taking a chance on: "Maybe next year will be a mild winter." Is downright scary for business that do not like uncertainty.

Again, I will get flak for this seeing how Buffalo is trying to bust out of the natural mode it was cast in. It is what it is as much as it pains me to say it. Human engineering isn't helping... The only business and investment they are worried about is getting that power from The Falls and sending it a zillion miles somewhere else. (Toronto and NYC). They are saying eff BFLO/Niagara Falls and "Their Lake" while places like Toronto and NYC get cheap power.

Honesty in debate is a great thing, appreciate the comments. I too love western New York and want the Bills to stay. More importantly I want NY to come back.

It's coming back in WNY. I don't know about the rest of NY. Of course, you're not here to see what's been going on.

OK!

There are all sorts of creative things that can be done. We can all theorize until the cows come home - Ralph was a smart businessman and didn't leave without a plan. Whether the plan can be executed remains to be seen. The guy hasn't been gone that long. Give it a little time.

I just got back from Boston Bills backers Dyngus Day (at an Irish bar, of course.) Talking with some folks about possible Bills owners and the topic of MSLE, Larry Tanenbaum and Bon Jovi came up. And it occurred to us that this group is not really a slam dunk to move the Bills in Toronto.

Think about it. There is no NFL-caliber stadium anywhere in Ontario and none on the drawing board. And don't expect government to build them a new stadium. So MSLE/Bon Jovi would have to buy the Bills and pony up another billion plus for a place to play. (Ever price land in Toronto?)

But if they keep the Bills in the USA they get a free stadium courtesy of NY State built a thousand feet from the Rainbow Bridge. Commuter rail runs from Toronto to NF, ON. Canadian fans save at least 30 minutes drive and lord knows how long at the Peace Bridge.

Mind you there is a plan being floated to attract the Olympics or World Cup to Toronto sometime in the next decade so who knows about the long term but I think MSLE/Bon Jovi would likely commit to NF, USA in exchange for a free stadium.

PTR

I think Hamilton and souther Ontario is the Bills play. Sure they would get some fans from Toronto but most fans there would view it the way Buffalo fans view the team in Toronto.

Just say no to J. BJ. I wouldn't want to give this weasel the chance. For him to even suggest moving our WNY team north of the boarder to the Toronto market is a deal breaker under any circumstances. It will always have been his 1st choice and therefore something we would always have to worry about. He is far more likely to move the team than Trump would ever be.

He is a snake who simply pretended to be a blue color rocker if you ask me. How many people who (pretend to) stand for what he did would outright steal another city's team.

Would the Boss ever do this?

jw

The problem with the ill-equipped visual analysts is that they foolishly equate building and aesthetics to a strong economy. The reality is quite the opposite because all this new construction and the aesthetic fetishism downtown and a few city neighborhoods is entirely supported by government subsidy in a desperate attempt to reverse a still declining regional economy. Every development project is on the backs of taxpayers via ECIDA, NYS, federal or local tax breaks. EVERYTHING... from historic tax breaks for things like the Lafayette Hotel to massive influx of state dollars at canalside, none of it is the result of structural improvements in our economy or the result of any visionary leadership. You can't build out of a failure. The city still bleeds populations, has one of the highest poverty rates of any city over 250,000, is among the most segregated, has one of the worst public urban school districts, and has more vacancy and abandonment in more of the city than areas of strong housing markets. The suburbs aren't any better, the first ring suburbs are increasingly losing population, increasing in poverty, seeing increased vacancy and decreased housing values, and an aging population on limited, fixed incomes.

If anything, the only thing these tax breaks in the city have done is limited development in the suburbs, which is good. But it hasn't had any statistically significant impact on this region's future... Not to say it won't, but the data other than the number of construction permits doesn't support that. This is a region in a global economy and a minor improvements are only minor if they rest of the region continues to decline.

Get out of North Bflo and the Elmwood Village and visit the whole of the east side, much of the west side, black rock, riverside, parts of South Buffalo. The city looks great if you view it through a straw while standing in front of the Blue Monk after paying $9 for a crappy beer. But that's the myopic Buffalo mentality, so desperate for any improvement that they equate bricks and mortar with actual transformational change. But even in the city, the leadership cuts off its nose to spite its face. Giving Uniland millions to build a building for Delaware North so they can move 2 blocks and vacate another entire building is a self-inflicted wound. But hey, let's not consider the chain of vacancy created by stepping into the marketplace and giving one owner an advantage over another that results in a massive loss of property tax on one building that is barely balanced by new taxes on the new building, if even pays taxes at all in the short term.

We're just in the same era are parents and grandparents were when politicians and the developer class promise that is we just give out and receive tax breaks, it'll change. Yeah those $8 an hour jobs selling concession in Canalside, tending bar at the plethora of consumptive class bars and restaurants, and hotel jobs are booming this economy.

Read the book Power Failure and tell me how different today is than yesterday.

The problem with the ill-equipped visual analysts is that they foolishly equate building and aesthetics to a strong economy. The reality is quite the opposite because all this new construction and the aesthetic fetishism downtown and a few city neighborhoods is entirely supported by government subsidy in a desperate attempt to reverse a still declining regional economy. Every development project is on the backs of taxpayers via ECIDA, NYS, federal or local tax breaks. EVERYTHING... from historic tax breaks for things like the Lafayette Hotel to massive influx of state dollars at canalside, none of it is the result of structural improvements in our economy or the result of any visionary leadership. You can't build out of a failure. The city still bleeds populations, has one of the highest poverty rates of any city over 250,000, is among the most segregated, has one of the worst public urban school districts, and has more vacancy and abandonment in more of the city than areas of strong housing markets. The suburbs aren't any better, the first ring suburbs are increasingly losing population, increasing in poverty, seeing increased vacancy and decreased housing values, and an aging population on limited, fixed incomes.

If anything, the only thing these tax breaks in the city have done is limited development in the suburbs, which is good. But it hasn't had any statistically significant impact on this region's future... Not to say it won't, but the data other than the number of construction permits doesn't support that. This is a region in a global economy and a minor improvements are only minor if they rest of the region continues to decline.

Get out of North Bflo and the Elmwood Village and visit the whole of the east side, much of the west side, black rock, riverside, parts of South Buffalo. The city looks great if you view it through a straw while standing in front of the Blue Monk after paying $9 for a crappy beer. But that's the myopic Buffalo mentality, so desperate for any improvement that they equate bricks and mortar with actual transformational change. But even in the city, the leadership cuts off its nose to spite its face. Giving Uniland millions to build a building for Delaware North so they can move 2 blocks and vacate another entire building is a self-inflicted wound. But hey, let's not consider the chain of vacancy created by stepping into the marketplace and giving one owner an advantage over another that results in a massive loss of property tax on one building that is barely balanced by new taxes on the new building, if even pays taxes at all in the short term.

We're just in the same era are parents and grandparents were when politicians and the developer class promise that is we just give out and receive tax breaks, it'll change. Yeah those $8 an hour jobs selling concession in Canalside, tending bar at the plethora of consumptive class bars and restaurants, and hotel jobs are booming this economy.

Baby steps, dude. Buffalo isn't going to magically become the Emerald City overnight. The fact there is growth and construction in pockets around the city is a good thing, not a negative.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I feel like I just did!

Why is it I keep seeing stories like this. IBM, medical corridor companies, etc. The stories used to always be about job losses:

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2014/04/22/japanese-firm-looks-to-build-r-d-manufacturing.html?ana=twt

This ain't a song for the broken-hearted

No silent prayer for faith-departed

We ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd

You're gonna hear our voice

When we shout it out loud

It's our team

It's now or never

The Bills are gonna live forever

We just want to live where we belong

(It's our team)

Our heart is on our sleeve like always

Like Frankie said

We do it our way

The team should just stay where it will thrive

It's our team

This is for the ones who stood their ground

For Ralph, Jim and Reed who never backed down

Bon Jersey planning for our team to take

Move it from B-Lo

His legs need to break

It's our team

It's now or never

The Bills are gonna live forever

They should stay put where they will thrive

(It's our team)

More crappy lyrics from this dope

I tried to make rhymes with them but nope

He's a............douche

He is as dumb as a rock box

I hope he drinks a glass of clorox

From that there is no way that he'd survive

He's a.....douche

Better stand tall when they're calling you out

Don't bend, don't break, baby, don't back down

It's our team

Even more...repetitive junk

Some chicks think this guy's a hunk

With the Bills he doesn't seem to get it

It seems like he's a real piece of dog ????

OK I tried to make a parotty of this complete piece of crap that this douche made untold millions on, but it is so devoid of musical flow and logic that it is almost impossible. Maybe someone else can do better, but please leave the Clorox line in there.....I like that one. Or maybe do it with another one of his horrifyingly bad monotonous pieces of trash.

I don't know what is worse: that our team could end up dying at the hands of this utterly talentless hack, or the fact that Americans bought so much of his drivel that he could actually amass the wealth to consider being a major force in the ownership of an NFL team. The mere suggestion that Jon Bon Jersey could buy our team and remove it from Buffalo has certainly got to be a sign of the end of times. I wake up every day thinking I had the craziest dream/nightmare ever and yet it seems to keep living.

Seriously, how much more insulting could a situation get? How much cheesier a potential owner could there possibly be? And that's not even it. A cheesy owner is one thing, but one that relies on the public for his living and openly spits in the face of a city in which he has doubtless played a score of concerts and extracted many dollars, is amazing. He does not even have the decency to be quiet about it. He publicly states his desire to rip the heart from Buffalo at the same time he claims to be this working class hero musician. This is the kind of person that America used to hate and scorn and give a bad name such as charlatan or quack or scheister or snake oil salesman. Now our standards are so low that a gentleman like Ralph, for all of his faults, can be replaced by scourge like this? Is this what we have become?

One more thing.....I believe he owned an indoor team named the Philadelphia Soul. I wonder if that is because he envied people who actually have a soul or because he envied musicians talented enough to play soul music......or both.

Hey Bon Jersey.................. :censored: you.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I am strongly confident that corporate headquarters, businesses with decent paying jobs, yuppies looking for decent paying jobs or investors have Buffalo or New York on short lists. This is a great post and spot on. The point I am trying to make is the environment for business in New York is horrible, from New York City to Buffalo. Buffalo Bills Bars are paying college students $8 an hour to serve yuppies on Sundays to watch the Bills play at bars throughout the research triangle in North Carolina.

I am strongly confident that corporate headquarters, businesses with decent paying jobs, yuppies looking for decent paying jobs or investors have Buffalo or New York on short lists. This is a great post and spot on. The point I am trying to make is the environment for business in New York is horrible, from New York City to Buffalo. Buffalo Bills Bars are paying college students $8 an hour to serve yuppies on Sundays to watch the Bills play at bars throughout the research triangle in North Carolina.

Oh boy... Now you did it... The destruction of North Carolina. ;-P ;-P

Anyway... Speak up now if anybody has ever attended a Bon Jovi concert? Not here. I will admit, I know one person... 50 something lady that is my son's friend's mother. Is that who's supporting this Bill's home wrecker?

Oh boy... Now you did it... The destruction of North Carolina. ;-P ;-P

Anyway... Speak up now if anybody has ever attended a Bon Jovi concert? Not here. I will admit, I know one person... 50 something lady that is my son's friend's mother. Is that who's supporting this Bill's home wrecker?

His net worth is reported to be 300 million so someone has been going and/or buying his stuff.

Never a fan of his "music", I now find myself seriously disliking JBJ. A NJ man lining up with Canadians for the purpose of buying our Bills and moving them to Toronto is utterly shameful and characterless. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his arm pits.

LoL... I hear you! My hands are clean... Never even bought a song on iTunes!

Oh... Is it irony that a New Jersey douche wants to move the only team from New York out of New York?

He just wants to be an owner of an NFL team in some capacity. Doesn't have the funds to do it himself so he is doing this. I doubt it matters much to him where the team plays.

He just wants to be an owner of an NFL team in some capacity. Doesn't have the funds to do it himself so he is doing this. I doubt it matters much to him where the team plays.

Yeah. He's getting up there in age and he probably doesn't want to tour forever. Still, doesn mean I can't hate the guy. Like people have said, I can't imagine Springsteen or Mellencamp (singers that work the whole blue collar schtick) pulling a douche move like this... Especially against a town like Buffalo.

Yeah. He's getting up there in age and he probably doesn't want to tour forever. Still, doesn mean I can't hate the guy. Like people have said, I can't imagine Springsteen or Mellencamp (singers that work the whole blue collar schtick) pulling a douche move like this... Especially against a town like Buffalo.

I think it is partly because you are taking it personally .. not that there is anything wrong with that :)

If you grew up in Chicago say and were a lifelong Bears fan and JBJ was going to buy the Bills and move them out of NY. Would you care? I know I wouldn't.

I strongly doubt this is a F U to Buffalo from JBJ. I think he wants a team, period. And this is his best way.

That being said, nothing wrong with hating that D-Bag for wanting to do it! ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

I think it is partly because you are taking it personally .. not that there is anything wrong with that :)

If you grew up in Chicago say and were a lifelong Bears fan and JBJ was going to buy the Bills and move them out of NY. Would you care? I know I wouldn't.

I strongly doubt this is a F U to Buffalo from JBJ. I think he wants a team, period. And this is his best way.

That being said, nothing wrong with hating that D-Bag for wanting to do it! ;)

You make a good point but how can it not be a FU to Buffalo? This team sells most games with some of the most loyal fans in sports despite missing the playoffs 14 years in a row and some terrible weather! And it makes a ton of money! There is zero reason to move this team unless it solely for pure greed. And if Bon Jovi is part of that, eff him!

You make a good point but how can it not be a FU to Buffalo? This team sells most games with some of the most loyal fans in sports despite missing the playoffs 14 years in a row and some terrible weather! And it makes a ton of money! There is zero reason to move this team unless it solely for pure greed. And if Bon Jovi is part of that, eff him!

It makes money because Mr. Wilson carried no debt and did not for a VERY long time. Maybe I didn't express myself well, but I think JBJ is part of moving the team out of Buffalo because he found a group that would have him in it, and that group wants to move the team. Yeah for greed, but also because they have other sports interests in Toronto already, and it is a considerably more viable city. I doubt either the Toronto group or JBJ care enough about Buffalo to give it a F U. It's just business to the Toronto group and JBJ simply wants to be an owner.

if JBJ was part of a group that wanted to keep the team in Buffalo, he would be OK with that too. Maybe the "Kelly Group" has room for another 100 mil partner ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

It makes money because Mr. Wilson carried no debt and did not for a VERY long time. Maybe I didn't express myself well, but I think JBJ is part of moving the team out of Buffalo because he found a group that would have him in it, and that group wants to move the team. Yeah for greed, but also because they have other sports interests in Toronto already, and it is a considerably more viable city. I doubt either the Toronto group or JBJ care enough about Buffalo to give it a F U. It's just business to the Toronto group and JBJ simply wants to be an owner.

if JBJ was part of a group that wanted to keep the team in Buffalo, he would be OK with that too. Maybe the "Kelly Group" has room for another 100 mil partner ;)

I gotcha and know it's not your opinion. But it's a joke. So far Toronto supporting NFL teams is a joke. How have the Blue Jays been doing with support?

If someone comes after my team, you're damn right it's going to be personal. You're been warned Jon. :devil:

I just got back from Boston Bills backers Dyngus Day (at an Irish bar, of course.) Talking with some folks about possible Bills owners and the topic of MSLE, Larry Tanenbaum and Bon Jovi came up. And it occurred to us that this group is not really a slam dunk to move the Bills in Toronto.

Think about it. There is no NFL-caliber stadium anywhere in Ontario and none on the drawing board. And don't expect government to build them a new stadium. So MSLE/Bon Jovi would have to buy the Bills and pony up another billion plus for a place to play. (Ever price land in Toronto?)

But if they keep the Bills in the USA they get a free stadium courtesy of NY State built a thousand feet from the Rainbow Bridge. Commuter rail runs from Toronto to NF, ON. Canadian fans save at least 30 minutes drive and lord knows how long at the Peace Bridge.

Mind you there is a plan being floated to attract the Olympics or World Cup to Toronto sometime in the next decade so who knows about the long term but I think MSLE/Bon Jovi would likely commit to NF, USA in exchange for a free stadium.

PTR

If a free stadium in NYS is offered (in exchange for a long term lock in), the owner (whomever it is) will keep the team in NYS. Owners interested in moving the team would naturally be outbid by those who want to stay and take the incredible giveaway. However, I do not believe that the taxpayers will be THAT generous. If they are, it's the Buffalo Bills for the next 20 years for sure. Unfortunately the more likely scenario is that there will be a reasonable, but not outrageous, incentive package available in New York. Whether that incentive is enough to balance out the economic benefits of moving remains to be seen. A lot of residents would be likely to oppose a complete gift of $500M+ to the new Bills owner. Depending on the length of the lock-in period, I think you could see $20-30M/year ponied up by the government as an initial incentive, plus relatively modest tax breaks or other annual benefits on an ongoing basis... If it is more than that I will be surprised.

My sons were playing

Pop Warner football for the Middletown, NJ Eagles when BonJovi's son Jesse was ready to play tackle football. BonJovi had a mansion on Navesink River Rd - across from Red Bank, NJ. This placed him in the Eagle's district. Jesse and dad made a couple summer practices before John decided that the Eagles were "too big a venue" for his son. He was able to transfer Jesse to another Middletown Pop Warner team - the River Plaza Chargers - after River Plaza threatened to force a couple of boys playing with their friends for the Eagles, to transfer to the Chargers. Other than that particular section of Middletown, the Eagles are made up of kids from lower to middle class families. The Chargers district includes more affluent families. We were scrimmaging the Chargers the week the SI article about how BonJovi and then Giants QB Kerry Collins were helping the 'disadvantaged' kids at River Plaza. A fellow Eagles coach and I joked that the Charger parents waiting out the scrimmages in their air conditioned luxury cars - reading SI - must be shocked to find out how poor they were. The saddest part of this story, and the thing that knaws at me to this day, is that BonJovi could have made a huge difference across the river. The Red Bank kids were from poor families. Their equipment was old. The kids wore different uniforms and helmets. Sometimes they forfeited away games because there weren't enough parents to drive. If the guy insisted on having his kid transferring out to play in a smaller "venue", Red Bank would have been the perfect choice. The fact that years later, BonJovi has been able to broker a deal with Notre Dame to dress his 5'9" 180lb son as a walk-on cornerback from little Poly Prep day school in Brooklyn, comes as no surprise. This continuing desire to manipulate his son's world may soon produce the NFL' s youngest team president... Jesse Bongiovi.

My sons were playing

Pop Warner football for the Middletown, NJ Eagles when BonJovi's son Jesse was ready to play tackle football. BonJovi had a mansion on Navesink River Rd - across from Red Bank, NJ. This placed him in the Eagle's district. Jesse and dad made a couple summer practices before John decided that the Eagles were "too big a venue" for his son. He was able to transfer Jesse to another Middletown Pop Warner team - the River Plaza Chargers - after River Plaza threatened to force a couple of boys playing with their friends for the Eagles, to transfer to the Chargers. Other than that particular section of Middletown, the Eagles are made up of kids from lower to middle class families. The Chargers district includes more affluent families. We were scrimmaging the Chargers the week the SI article about how BonJovi and then Giants QB Kerry Collins were helping the 'disadvantaged' kids at River Plaza. A fellow Eagles coach and I joked that the Charger parents waiting out the scrimmages in their air conditioned luxury cars - reading SI - must be shocked to find out how poor they were. The saddest part of this story, and the thing that knaws at me to this day, is that BonJovi could have made a huge difference across the river. The Red Bank kids were from poor families. Their equipment was old. The kids wore different uniforms and helmets. Sometimes they forfeited away games because there weren't enough parents to drive. If the guy insisted on having his kid transferring out to play in a smaller "venue", Red Bank would have been the perfect choice. The fact that years later, BonJovi has been able to broker a deal with Notre Dame to dress his 5'9" 180lb son as a walk-on cornerback from little Poly Prep day school in Brooklyn, comes as no surprise. This continuing desire to manipulate his son's world may soon produce the NFL' s youngest team president... Jesse Bongiovi.

I am tired of those with money pushing their agenda on the rest of us. I have no problem with people who have money and worked very hard to get were they are. The problem I have is when they throw the $$$$ around or special treatment.

If he really did submit a bid already, he will lose. We have many local potential buyers who surely have inside track on the bidding process. He would be an idiot to place a bid already.

The person/group who lands the Bills will be someone who is not in the news about it at this time. Not Trump, not bon jovi. I put my money on group that may, or may not, have Kelly in their corner. Personally I believe it will be Jacobs.

I am not afraid to say it either-- I am a fan!!

I just saw this pretty good Bon jovi cover band on a cruise too-- they were great. The lead guy even looked like Jon Bon jovi. Called "blaze of glory."

Haven't people on cruises suffered enough lately?