Is Stevie expendable now that we got Williams?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is SJ the last guy on the depth chart at WR? If so, yes he's expendable. If not, then no, the last guy is. When you improve talent at a position, you dump your worst at that position not perhaps one of the top 2 or 3. If we added another TE, would Chandler become expendable? Of course not, but Gragg or Smith probably are.

The wild card here of course is the propensity for SJ to drop key passes in clutch situations. When you 4-12 or 6-10 it doesn't really matter so much. But if you are a 9-6 team going into Foxboro needing a win to make the playoffs and SJ pulls one of his boneheaded drops costing us the game and a trip tot playoffs, it's a HUGE DEAL. Do we want to take that risk? I don't feel real good about it. When it's the 4th Q in a close game I hope they don't throw it to SJ. Not really the way a fan should feel about their "#1 WR"..

I hope SJ becomes expendable because we have 4 guys better.

Thanks Reddo. This is exactly how I feel. Good Job.

Is SJ the last guy on the depth chart at WR? If so, yes he's expendable. If not, then no, the last guy is. When you improve talent at a position, you dump your worst at that position not perhaps one of the top 2 or 3. If we added another TE, would Chandler become expendable? Of course not, but Gragg or Smith probably are.

The wild card here of course is the propensity for SJ to drop key passes in clutch situations. When you 4-12 or 6-10 it doesn't really matter so much. But if you are a 9-6 team going into Foxboro needing a win to make the playoffs and SJ pulls one of his boneheaded drops costing us the game and a trip tot playoffs, it's a HUGE DEAL. Do we want to take that risk? I don't feel real good about it. When it's the 4th Q in a close game I hope they don't throw it to SJ. Not really the way a fan should feel about their "#1 WR"..

I hope SJ becomes expendable because we have 4 guys better.

It's not quite that simple but close. There are other considerations such as contract/cap ones.

1. Stevie stays. No reason at all to cut him. Teams need 4-5 WRs who can play in this league.

2. M Williams has a ton of talent but is one meaningless mistake away from being cut. I'm sure they will have a short leash with him. I think he is a decent guy who just likes to party and is careless, as opposed to just a bad dude. The former is a LOT easier to overcome than the latter.

That's not saying it is going to happen, but from all I have read and heard, when he was drafted in the 4th round he came out with something to prove and was a stud as a rookie. Then he thought he had it made and was good but not great in year 2. In year three he was playing for a new contract and was focused and was a stud again. In year 4 he had 40m and became reckless, as well as injured. That, to me, says he is very capable of going either way, and we just have to see. This is what amounts to a contract year. I almost expect him to be very good this year, although who knows in the long term.

3. Woods is the forgotten man and he is the most reliable of the bunch. He could be very good if teams are looking to stop Williams and Stevie.

4. TJ Graham is a tease, and there are good and bad reasons to keep or dump him. To me, he's just unreliable in games. He drops inopportune balls and fumbles at the worst times. But if you keep him on your team, he is going to beat out other players in practice because the guy is ALWAYS open. Even in real games you rarely see a player who is open so much on a regular basis. If the game slows down for him and he doesnt drop the ball as much (a lot of very good receivers drop the ball a lot), he's a valuable player.

5. Part of the reason you may want TJ gone is because he takes reps away from Goodwin, who has tremendous ability and should have been playing a lot more last year, but Marrone and Hackett kept on insisting that Graham play because he was always open. We need to know if Goodwin can play an entire football season, but the guy has serious skills.

6. If they draft Ebron, or one of the 3-4 decent TEs in round two, an offense of MWilliams, Stevie, Woods and Goodwin, along with Ebron (or new TE) and Chandler, along with Spiller and Jackson, has a lot of firepower.

These get rid of SJ threads are embarrassing. Part of me wants SJ to go to another team where fans would fully embrace him. He put up 3 1,000 yard seasons in a row with a qb who struggled to throw the ball 10 yards down the field. He never gets in trouble off the field & loves being a Bill. But now that we got a giant knucklehead, let's get rid of our best wr. Makes sense.

Maybe he'll go to the 2012 Buffalo Bills. Dude was this board's favorite player a couple years ago and now people want to cut him? Unreal.

Getting rid of Stevie is just silly. We have all the cap space in the world and we NEED weapons to develop our young QB. I would argue that our WR core is still average at best. If anything they need to keep everyone they have now AND still draft another guy. Until we have to start paying our QB there is no need to cut costs anywhere when it comes to giving him tools.

If you read Gleason's article today in the Buffalo News, you know that it is far from certain that Williams is going to keep it together long enough to actually contribute to this team. Does that mean it was a bad gamble by the Bills? Not necessarily, because the upside seems to be high. However, the worst message the team could send a guy like Williams is "See you later, Stevie. We've got Mike Williams now and he is The Man." As soon as Williams feels he is irreplaceable, you will be reading about him on the police blotter again. So, no, Stevie is not expendable now that we've signed Mike Williams.

Edited by mannc

I think the plan of moving Stevie to the slot should finally materialize this year.

in which case TE becomes less important. SJ13 slot. Williams and woods wide. 4th WR Goodwin. Graham first off the bench.

I don't want to waste a top pick on a TE.

Edit: even if we run a lot SJ is a mighty fine blocker too. So him in the slot is more valuable then a 2nd TE or maybe even a single TE

Edited by jboyst62

in which case TE becomes less important. SJ13 slot. Williams and woods wide. 4th WR Goodwin. Graham first off the bench.

I don't want to waste a top pick on a TE.

Edit: even if we run a lot SJ is a mighty fine blocker too. So him in the slot is more valuable then a 2nd TE or maybe even a single TE

He really is - I was thinking about that yesterday. It is one of the harder things for young WRs to excel at in the NFL.

Stevie is definitely on the fence. He needs a huge year. 80 rec. 1000 yards. 10 tds. Bare minimum to justify that contract going forward.

As long as they aren't "1,000 meaningless yards," as referenced by another poster. I still haven't figured out how 1,000 yards in a season could ever be meaningless.

As long as they aren't "1,000 meaningless yards," as referenced by another poster. I still haven't figured out how 1,000 yards in a season could ever be meaningless.

What is even more hilarious about those statements - people saying SJ had meaningless yards. Look at the QB throwing him the ball - almost all of them were YAC.

What is even more hilarious about those statements - people saying SJ had meaningless yards. Look at the QB throwing him the ball - almost all of them were YAC.

I've read it on here a thousand times that Fitz got a lot of his yards and TDs in garbage time. If that's true, then the WRs were catching a lot of footballs in garbage time as well. Not saying you've said it, but it does get said on here frequently.

Oh yeah, since Fitz can't throw more than 5 yards, all of the completions to SJ MUST have been close to the LOS.

That is what I love about this pickup. There aren't too many 6th rounders that can make a play like that. Really highlights what type of player Williams is: He goes up and gets the ball over the top of the CB, battles for the ball, and then uses his speed to break away & take it 62 yards to the house.

That is WR1 type stuff right there. Plays like that is why they gave him 40 million dollars. This offense is desperate for playmaking WR's that can score TD's & Williams can do it all. Kid has 25 TD's in 4 seasons (1 of which he only played 3 games). I really love this move by Whaley.

I will try to be as clear as possible. When a team is losing by double digits ( as the Bills have been in many games for more than a decade now ) the opponent usually plays prevent defense. In this case, the offense plays hurry up and marches down the field getting MEANINGLESS YARDS since the GAME is ALREADY OVER! I believe it will be hard for you to understand this. .