Why the Bills should not pass on Khalil Mack

Bull Run

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2014/3/28/5557240/46-for-46-1-why-you-dont-pass-on-a-local-mac-star

In 2004, a Quarterback from Miami of Ohio by way of Lima, Ohio was on the board as Cleveland picked #6 overall. The Quarterback was Ben Roethlisberger, he had thrown for almost 11,000 yards in 3 years in college, thrown 80 TD passes and in his final year, he led the Redhawks to a MAC Championship and a 13-1 record.

Cleveland passed on Roethlisberger, instead signing veteran Jeff Garcia and drafting a weapon for the QB, tight end Kellen Winslow Jr.

http://www.ubbullrun...-local-mac-star

In 2004, a Quarterback from Miami of Ohio by way of Lima, Ohio was on the board as Cleveland picked #6 overall. The Quarterback was Ben Roethlisberger, he had thrown for almost 11,000 yards in 3 years in college, thrown 80 TD passes and in his final year, he led the Redhawks to a MAC Championship and a 13-1 record.

Cleveland passed on Roethlisberger, instead signing veteran Jeff Garcia and drafting a weapon for the QB, tight end Kellen Winslow Jr.

This is so irrelevant to the Bills and the 2014 Draft. Who cares that the Browns passed on Roethlisberger a decade ago? This is not remotely a 1 to 1 comparison.

Anyway, the Bills won't have a chance to pass on Mack unless they trade up to the top 5, and if they do, the same argument could be made in favor of Sammy Watkins or others.

http://www.ubbullrun...-local-mac-star

Roethlisberger was from Findlay, not Lima...not that is matters. Saw him play is H.S.

In 2004, a Quarterback from Miami of Ohio by way of Lima, Ohio was on the board as Cleveland picked #6 overall. The Quarterback was Ben Roethlisberger, he had thrown for almost 11,000 yards in 3 years in college, thrown 80 TD passes

I don't see Mack putting up those kind of numbers :blink::doh::P

And here I'm thinking you were going to bring up how stupid Cleveland was in drafting Mike Junkin and leaving Shane Conlan for the Bills.

I guess I was wrong.

I was thinking more along the lines of Pete Adams instead of Ray Guy...

Sheeshhh!

Why don't folks think the Falcons will select a TE? They did just lose a future HOFer at that position and didn't replace him yet.

I think it's because there are some very nice options available at TE that are expected to drop into round 2, when the Falcons (again) pick early. No rookie is a lock as a future HOPer, but Jace Amaro,Austin-Severin Jenkinks and Troy Niklas all look like very promising Day 2 options.

If you are in the top 10, you take the best pick available. The way I see it, there are 5 top non-QB players I would sprint to the podium for if they dropped to 9 (Clowney, Watkins, Robinson, Matthews and Mack). I'm expecting at least one QB taken by then, so Atlanta has a strong chance to grab some potent talent.

Going back to the OP, the Bills would probably love Mack at 9, but I highly doubt that is going to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain to me what a QB selected ten years ago, has anything to do with a LB this year? Besides the fact that he'll be gone by 9, is it like the small school thing? Because I'm pretty sure that The Buffalo Bills are aware of the biggest player to ever come out of the University of Buffalo. I'm really confused here.

Khalil was just spotted in Buffalo airport!

+1

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Can someone explain to me what a QB selected ten years ago, has anything to do with a LB this year? Besides the fact that he'll be gone by 9, is it like the small school thing? Because I'm pretty sure that The Buffalo Bills are aware of the biggest player to ever come out of the University of Buffalo. I'm really confused here.

I love that last comment. And yes he will be gone in the top 6 no doubt. Funny thing as much as I want him, I think Brandon Spikes could fill that MLB job for multiuple years to come so it's not a huge loss. Besides OL the Bills have signed players that can fill the void that we needed in ther draft; Mike Williams, a go up and get it, bigger receiver, Corey Graham a possible replacement for Byrd, Spikes to let Kiko go to the outside. Plus re-signing Chandler makes me think they won't go for Ebron, at least not at 9.

Khalil is the only player i think the Bills will draft @ 9 unless the top to tackles are available. Otherwise Buffalo is trading down

I think there is a growing chance Mack could slide to #9 based on team needs...It obviously has nothing to do with Mack as a prospect...But IF those 3 QB's go in the top 8, IF Mike Evans goes to Tampa, and IF Atlanta takes Matthews at #6, suddenly Mack falling to the Bills is a REAL possibility...

I would expect the Bills to take Mack as well...It's obvious they like the kid a lot...Though I really question whether or not they want to take him based on what they need for this team in 2014...And I think if Mack is there at #9 some team is going to be willing to give up a pretty nice package to come up and get him...So that would be very interesting to see...It's a no-lose situation for the Bills if Mack falls into their lap... B-)

I have no problem with taking Mack if the top 3 OT's are gone. It's a possibility if teams fall in love with QB's with at least 4 teams ahead of us needing one. Add Clowney in and that leaves Mack or Watkins being there for us.

Mack would be one hell of a player and give us one of the most dominating front 7's in the AFC:

Alonso - Spikes - Mack

Williams - Williams - Dareus - Hughes/Lawson

Whoa Nelly !