Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The new franchise numbers are out. For safety, it' $8.433 million which is over $100K MORE than Byrd would get with a 20 percent raise. So unless I'm misunderstanding how this works, that 20 percent raise for a second-year franchise tag does nothing for the player assuming a normal annual increase in the tag number itself.

The new franchise numbers are out. For safety, it' $8.433 million which is over $100K MORE than Byrd would get with a 20 percent raise. So unless I'm misunderstanding how this works, that 20 percent raise for a second-year franchise tag does nothing for the player assuming a normal annual increase in the tag number itself.

Not sure how it works in this case as the tag doesn't annually rise like THAT normally. But safety, like tight end, is a position that should be seeing some spikes in the current nfl climate.

I believe the verbiage for the tag is along the lines of 20% raise over the players previous year cap number or the tag amount, whichever is greater - which builds in a second year 20% raise without new rules being needed and the third year is when the nfl kicks in the additional language to boost to qb pay

Edited by NoSaint

Are you sure the franchise tag doesn't get 20% boost too?

Are you sure the franchise tag doesn't get 20% boost too?

The 20% is simply the minimum increase in the value of a second franchise tag. So if the second tag does not represent a 20% raise from the previous season's salary, then it gets bumped up to a 20% increase.

The number for a third tag is 44%

The 20% is simply the minimum increase in the value of a second franchise tag. So if the second tag does not represent a 20% raise from the previous season's salary, then it gets bumped up to a 20% increase.

The number for a third tag is 44%

the franchise tag values are a fixed percentage of the variable salary cap.

it just so happens there was a significant increase this year in the salary cap as compared to recent previous years.

Thanks for the info guys

So Bills get to tag Byrd this year at the same price it would've been if they hadn't tagged him last year. For next year, is it 44% more than the 1st year he was tagged or 44% more than the 2nd year? Not like Byrd is old in football years, but I assume he'd get a bigger deal this year than next year the further he is from 30. If Byrd believes he might be tagged next year too, he'd have more incentive to get a long-term deal done now.

So Bills get to tag Byrd this year at the same price it would've been if they hadn't tagged him last year. For next year, is it 44% more than the 1st year he was tagged or 44% more than the 2nd year? Not like Byrd is old in football years, but I assume he'd get a bigger deal this year than next year the further he is from 30. If Byrd believes he might be tagged next year too, he'd have more incentive to get a long-term deal done now.

Third year tag is the average of the top 5 players in the league (basically QBs) so there is ~0% chance that happens.

the franchise tag values are a fixed percentage of the variable salary cap.

it just so happens there was a significant increase this year in the salary cap as compared to recent previous years.

They are a floating percentage. They average the percent that the contracts at that position took up (across a 5 year window) then adjust to cap. So it's a 2 fold issue with tightends getting larger deals AND the cap going up

I'm just as excited about him leaving. Our offense needs major work, and our defense is almost there. That's a lot of cash to free up to go after someone.

Don't share my opinion? Too bad. Didn't want Stevie back, don't want Byrd back.

that.

True. But even though he ran that at the combine he was still drafted in the 2nd round. Is it possible he ran faster at his pro day?

Actually I went back and read...From what I can tell the 4.68 was at the Oregon Pro day...Byrd did not run at Indy due to a groin issue... B-)

Like who?

Not sure if you read all the way back...But Beerball was talking about Aaron Williams...And he was correct...There was a great deal of debate going all the way back to his last year at Texas whether or not Williams was better suited to Safety in the NFL...One of my best friends lives in Dallas and is a HUGE Longhorns fan...He loves...I mean REALLY loves AW...But he told me before that Draft that Williams a better fit at Safety...My friends exact words to me after the Bills Drafted him..."When he moves to Safety he'll be a Pro Bowler...you're going to love him..."

Many knew Williams was better suited to Safety in the NFL...His play at CB only furthered that assumption... B-)

This thread is full of people who buy into these self imposed restrictions the bills place on themselves.

Fact is, they can spend up to the cap and still be profitable. That means paying Byrd. Paying Aaron Williams next year. Paying whoever.

They just choose not to.

Don't believe the hype folks.

This thread is full of people who buy into these self imposed restrictions the bills place on themselves.

Fact is, they can spend up to the cap and still be profitable. That means paying Byrd. Paying Aaron Williams next year. Paying whoever.

They just choose not to.

Don't believe the hype folks.

There will come a point (much like what New Orleans and Seattle are facing this year) that the Bills will need to make some hard decisions. That is not hype it is the reality if the NFL. I can't think of the last guy that they "didn't pay." They signed a guy to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL 2 years ago. The Bills certainly aren't cheap. They may not always spend their money wisely (see Dockery, Derrick) but decisions to let guys go are not from being cheap. They usually are business decisions that every team faces.

There will come a point (much like what New Orleans and Seattle are facing this year) that the Bills will need to make some hard decisions. That is not hype it is the reality if the NFL. I can't think of the last guy that they "didn't pay." They signed a guy to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL 2 years ago. The Bills certainly aren't cheap. They may not always spend their money wisely (see Dockery, Derrick) but decisions to let guys go are not from being cheap. They usually are business decisions that every team faces.

Andy Levitre ring a bell? Wasn't that long ago.

As for them making tough decisions because they're up against the cap...I, and many other fans, would welcome that quandary.

Not sure if you read all the way back...But Beerball was talking about Aaron Williams...And he was correct...There was a great deal of debate going all the way back to his last year at Texas whether or not Williams was better suited to Safety in the NFL...One of my best friends lives in Dallas and is a HUGE Longhorns fan...He loves...I mean REALLY loves AW...But he told me before that Draft that Williams a better fit at Safety...My friends exact words to me after the Bills Drafted him..."When he moves to Safety he'll be a Pro Bowler...you're going to love him..."

Many knew Williams was better suited to Safety in the NFL...His play at CB only furthered that assumption... B-)

The weird thing is that when he had to move back to corner for some time this year, he played really good. Donnie Henderson must be a witch - with what he did with AW and McLovin