MMQB likes Gilmore

Beerball

Gilmore is going to be a good CB in years to come. CB is one if those positions that generally take a few years for a young corner to master. I've seen a few posters on here dog the kid, I think he's going to surprise them. People seem to not have patients with players anymore, if they're not preforming up to standards in the first couple if years they're labeled a bust. CJ, MD and Aaron Williams come to mind.

His aggressiveness is going to be an asset soon even though it's been detrimental so far. The better this kid gets the more he'll be able to get away with, ala Revis.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

I thought he had a good rookie year. He took a step back last year no doubt, how much of that was trying to adapt his game to playing with one hand I'm not sure, and then his confidence took a knock. I think some of that is on the staff I think they rushed him back when he really wasn't in a position to make plays.

I'm still confident he will turn out to be a good player.

I am giving him a mulligan.

CJ on the other hand?

Was injured as well and deserves the same mulligan. Don't understand why spiller gets so much flack on here. He was lights out the prior season when healthy and broke a long one this year running hobbled.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

First of all, Revis? Who is going to be talking about him next year--except as a cautionary tale about blowing big bucks on FA CB.

Gilmore--maybe he will have a better year next--hard to say. Doesn't seem very savvy out there. He's like a blunt instrument. He needs to learn a lot more about the game, like Sherman.

Get him to turn his hips the right way. Keep a hand on his WR and get back to playing physical. We would have a better Gilmore

My biggest complaint with Gilmore is that he way too often seems to get turned around which as a CB is the last thing you want to see

I was not a fan of drafting him but thought he would at worst be a solid CB and after a rough start to his rookie year showed some promise.

I don't know what happened last year when he came back, I'm sure his injury played a part but he just looked lost out there downfield and way too often was nowhere near the receiver... That can't all be due to his injury

Edited by Max997

Was injured as well and deserves the same mulligan. Don't understand why spiller gets so much flack on here. He was lights out the prior season when healthy and broke a long one this year running hobbled.

Yeah...don't get it either. Some people seem to just be stuck on the "I'm the smartest guy in the room" notion that Spiller was a bad pick for the Bills, and that will always cloud their judgement of him. To me, is far and away, the most dynamic offensive player the Bills have had in years, with the possible exception of Lynch...the league has changed a lot over the last 15 years or so...few running backs are carrying the ball 25-30 a game any more. If you can get production like Spillers' on 12-15 carries, and if healthy add some receiving yardage, you have hit a home run.

My biggest complaint with Gilmore is that he way too often seems to get turned around which as a CB is the last thing you want to see

I was not a fan of drafting him but thought he would at worst be a solid CB and after a rough start to his rookie year showed some promise.

I don't know what happened last year when he came back, I'm sure his injury played a part but he just looked lost out there downfield and way too often was nowhere near the receiver... That can't all be due to his injury

Max, I think a lot of it was absolutely due to injury. He played much better the last 3 or 4 games of the season. He was getting "tunred around" so often becasue he was trying to avoid using that wrist as much as he needed to, to be effective...it slowed his footwork down. I would say, honestly, he should have sat a little longer, if nothing else. But, as you recall, there were so many injuries to the secondary the first 5-6 weeks of the season, he, no doubt, felt some (self imposed) pressure to return to the field.

CJ is a role player and not a workhorse back. This is the issue with him. He can certainly break one every time he touches the ball but if you need to grind the clock or be assured of two yards on a third down CJ is not the guy.

To the point of the thread though, if he stays healthy Gilmore could have a breakout season. If Byrd is resigned the Bills could have a very scary secondary.

Max, I think a lot of it was absolutely due to injury. He played much better the last 3 or 4 games of the season. He was getting "tunred around" so often becasue he was trying to avoid using that wrist as much as he needed to, to be effective...it slowed his footwork down. I would say, honestly, he should have sat a little longer, if nothing else. But, as you recall, there were so many injuries to the secondary the first 5-6 weeks of the season, he, no doubt, felt some (self imposed) pressure to return to the field.

I understand what you are saying but he was getting turned around a lot before the injury as well. Rather then keeping his eye on the receiver when the receiver makes a cut he turns around which creates even more space between him and the receiver.

i do agree he came back a lot sooner then he should have

I thought he had a good rookie year. He took a step back last year no doubt, how much of that was trying to adapt his game to playing with one hand I'm not sure, and then his confidence took a knock. I think some of that is on the staff I think they rushed him back when he really wasn't in a position to make plays.

I'm still confident he will turn out to be a good player.

He was playing very well by the end of the season. It's hard to play with one hand.

If this be true i hope they see this as a premonition & they start talks to extend him rather than do what the Bills normally do & wait until his contract is ending & having to pay top dollar , or like in the case of the Byrd situation in some instances be held hostage by the agent to pay way to much money which is becoming the norm in the NFL !! Including the commissioner !!

He was decent his rookie season. Not sure how he can be that big of a breakout at this point though. For as good as people thought he was his rookie season he led the entire NFL in committing penalties and led the NFL in Pass Interference penalties.

Sorry folks but if you havent noticed, Leodis has arrived.

I did . And i watched him carefully. And he has.

Some folks worry about Schwaatz and his bringing a zone as compared Pettine who likes the man coverage and early pressure to disrupt .

I think Leodis will not miss a beat. He has his "confidence " now. Thats the CB curve showing up a bit late for him.

Gilmore...

He seems to be best in press coverage regarding his first season . He might struggle .

I would say the jury is still out him. Thank gosh the QBs respect him still but last season was off. alot .

But he is on the team , its not a contract year for him and so i shall cheer him on to be all he can be . and thats probably pretty damned good.

if would just stop those blatant grabs / holds !!! :bag:

Edited by 3rdand12

If this be true i hope they see this as a premonition & they start talks to extend him rather than do what the Bills normally do & wait until his contract is ending & having to pay top dollar , or like in the case of the Byrd situation in some instances be held hostage by the agent to pay way to much money which is becoming the norm in the NFL !! Including the commissioner !!

He just finished his second year in the league and I believe has 3 but at least 2 years left on his rookie deal so no need to start talking extension yet

Edited by Max997

Yeah...don't get it either. Some people seem to just be stuck on the "I'm the smartest guy in the room" notion that Spiller was a bad pick for the Bills, and that will always cloud their judgement of him. To me, is far and away, the most dynamic offensive player the Bills have had in years, with the possible exception of Lynch...the league has changed a lot over the last 15 years or so...few running backs are carrying the ball 25-30 a game any more. If you can get production like Spillers' on 12-15 carries, and if healthy add some receiving yardage, you have hit a home run.

One need not be the "smartest guy in the room" to know that it's a sad state of affairs when (and if) a situational running back is your most dynamic player. It's more of a reflection on the state of the Bills than it is kudos to Spiller.

In other words, I would rather have Lacy (mid second rounder)on my team than Spiller any day of the week, but Rogers is certainly the most dynamic player on the Packers.

He was playing very well by the end of the season. It's hard to play with one hand.

Agreed. But it's a bit easier to play when your front 4 are getting a huge number of sacks and pressures. My point? It's not great when one can make a case that a #10 pick in the draft was your 3rd best corner.

Would you be happy with similar production from our #9 this year, or would you want just a little bit more?