Is MLB our biggest need now?

With the change in DC, do you guys view MLB as our single biggest need? I'd say it's probably up there with LG now, if not bigger. We currently don't have anyone on our roster who can play the mike on a consistent basis in the NFL. If we don't land one via the draft or FA, this defense is going to struggle big time next season (IMO).

I think the likelihood of us taking CJ Mosley at 9 is now higher than ever. Alabama lines up in the 4-3 the large majority of the time (despite them saying they're a 3-4) and Mosley is arguably the best ILB in this class.

If not Mosley, the ONLY UFA ILB that would be worth anything is Jon Beason - he actually played pretty damn well for the Giants this year. He could possibly hold the fort for 1-2 seasons.

That's it folks. If anyone can find me a mike LB that is an UFA that I missed please post.

Unless we go with a Dansby type LB who normally plays ILB on a 3-4, I don't know where else we'd possibly go.

Your thoughts on other viable options?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huh?

50's the Mike and that would be Kiko

why would that change?

I hear ya, when we played the 4-3 alignment this season Kiko lined up in the middle or the weakside, but do you think Kiko is best suited for MLB? I'm not so sure personally.

In other words, this is the problem I have with Alonso at MLB full-time. I don't think Alonso is great against the run and the two DT in front of him are better at pass-rushing than run-stuffing (IMO), so combining the two is a recipe for disaster (vs the run)..imo.

huh?

50's the Mike and that would be Kiko

why would that change?

I agree. I don't know what our D is exactly. Some say it's mostly a 4/3 with variations of a 3/4. If it's mostly a 4/3, and that is what Schwartz had in Detroit, then Kiko's the man and we would only need another ILB for those occasions when we shift to the varient.

Regarding Mosley; he is smallish and suffered a dislocated hip and elbow while at Bama, lost playing time because of those injuries. Additionally, his senior year was not a good as his Junior year. Is he beginning to wear down? I think he's a late 1st rounder because of these concerns.

I agree. I don't know what our D is exactly. Some say it's mostly a 4/3 with variations of a 3/4. If it's mostly a 4/3, and that is what Schwartz had in Detroit, then Kiko's the man and we would only need another ILB for those occasions when we shift to the varient.

Regarding Mosley; he is smallish and suffered a dislocated hip and elbow while at Bama, lost playing time because of those injuries. Additionally, his senior year was not a good as his Junior year. Is he beginning to wear down? I think he's a late 1st rounder because of these concerns.

Completely agree with Mosley and injury concerns. That's why Mosley may drop come draft day to late teens or even 20ish. I still think he's by far the best ILB in the draft, however.

I hear ya, when we played the 4-3 alignment this season Kiko lined up in the middle or the weakside, but do you think Kiko is best suited for MLB? I'm not so sure personally.

In other words, this is the problem I have with Alonso at MLB full-time. I don't think Alonso is great against the run and the two DT in front of him are better at pass-rushing than run-stuffing (IMO), so combining the two is a recipe for disaster (vs the run)..imo.

He is not and Mosley should be our pick. Your OP was spot on.

I am not that draft savvy to know if there is some 4th rounder that could surprise at MLB and would rather not risk it and end up with Mike Evans who is James Hardly 2.0 IMO or some other spot where our needs are not as stark.

He is not and Mosley should be our pick. Your OP was spot on.

I am not that draft savvy to know if there is some 4th rounder that could surprise at MLB and would rather not risk it and end up with Mike Evans who is James Hardly 2.0 IMO or some other spot where our needs are not as stark.

I think Borland from Wisconsin is going to be a player in the NFL. His size (primarily his height) is a bit of a limitation, but the guy is built like a bowling bowl and flies all over the place. His size will keep him from being drafted in the first 2 rounds IMO. If we took a flier on him in the 3rd round that would be superb.

Edited by bobobonators

I was thinking about Mack in the first round for awhile and then someone pointed out that the team has extra DBs on the field 60%-65% of the time, so I think a stout player like Andrew Jackson 6,1 260 in the 4-5th round might be more likely unless they are thinking about a future without Lawson- with the change in defensive coach I think a RDE might be a need and Kony Ealy could be the pick

Pretty good? Isn't he like consensus DROY? I wish all of our rookies performed as well.

He was great for about half the season and the majority of his greatness came with his INT's (which many times are strictly luck). Not saying by any stretch that he was not a great player (for a rookie), but there were also many games where he completely overpursued the run or was completely blown out of the play leading to huge plays. My concern with him in the long term lies against the run. He will definitely need to improve in that respect if he's going to be a viable MLB for 16 games.

CJ Mosley is overrated because he plays on Alabama.

I think Shayne Skov and Yawin Smallwood are better prospects, and they may be available in the 2nd-3rd round.

Whenever you're considered the best LB on Alabama, you're not overrated. He was Alabama's defensive player of the week like 9 of 10 weeks or 11 of 12 weeks. There's nothing overrated about his play. His long-term health from all the wear and tear might be a concern, but might be overblown as well.

I am a Tide Fan and have seen most of Mosley's games. I for one think that he was better as a senior. In previous seasons he was more of a coverage lb as far as I could tell. Last season he was a complete linebacker. He reminds me a lot of Kiko.

That said, #9 seems too early to draft him. If the Bills stay where they are I hope that they take a qb, pass rusher, or an OT. If they trade down, guards, tight ends and linebackers become more appealing.

Kiko is a tailor made fit for the WLB spot in any variant of a traditional 4-3. Especially the schemes Schwartz has run before. Your Will needs to be able to fly around the field as well as "sift through trash" to get after the ball carrier on outside runs.

In the Schwartz schemes, your MLB is more of a 2 gap thumper who can cover the A gaps left open by the DTs shooting B gaps. Stephen Tulloch was his long-time MLB in both Detroit and Tennessee.

Meanwhile the Sam should be excellent against the run as well as in coverage. Manny Lawson should thrive in Schwartz's Sam spot.

CJ Mosley is overrated because he plays on Alabama.

I think Shayne Skov and Yawin Smallwood are better prospects, and they may be available in the 2nd-3rd round.

agree. If Mosley compares to the dude from frisco, then fine. I haven't seen anyone state that yet.

Kiko is a tailor made fit for the WLB spot in any variant of a traditional 4-3. Especially the schemes Schwartz has run before. Your Will needs to be able to fly around the field as well as "sift through trash" to get after the ball carrier on outside runs.

In the Schwartz schemes, your MLB is more of a 2 gap thumper who can cover the A gaps left open by the DTs shooting B gaps. Stephen Tulloch was his long-time MLB in both Detroit and Tennessee.

Meanwhile the Sam should be excellent against the run as well as in coverage. Manny Lawson should thrive in Schwartz's Sam spot.

Good post. You pretty much hit on my thought process.

I also don't mean to state that Kiko can't play MLB to a degree, but that I don't think MLB would be his best slot.

I think Kiko would be a beast at the Will slot. So in other words, I feel our LB corps would be worlds better with Kiko at the Will, Mosley at the Mike, and Lawson at the Sam. Kiko dropping into coverage, blowing up screen passes, and the ability to not have to face the interior lineman who will Gobble him up. A Lance Briggs type player.

Edited by bobobonators

Good post. You pretty much hit on my thought process.

I also don't mean to state that Kiko can't play MLB effectively, but that I don't think MLB would be his best slot.

I think Kiko would be a beast at the Will slot. So in other words, I feel our LB corps would be worlds better with Kiko at the Will, Mosley at the Mike, and Lawson at the Sam. Kiko dropping into coverage, blowing up screen passes, and the ability to not have to face the interior lineman who will Gobble him up. A Lance Briggs type player.

Exactly. I like Kiko alot playing in space. I don't like the idea of him taking on interior linemen. He's not built for that.

Kiko needs to put on 15 lbs. and he does over pursue at times. It's hard to say if ILB which was your original question is the biggest need as we all know we really need as well a LG, athletic TE, and big athletic WR.

two hits in the daft with an athletic TE and big WR is going to make EJ's job so much easier. I believe we'll go with a WR first. Who knows the order FO the positions after that as there are so many variables in the draft.

I just hope we spend our first four picks on these spots.

Even if it's not his ideal position, Kiko at MLB makes the position so far from the team's biggest need that it's not really worth discussing. In my opinion if you want to start putting missing pieces in you have to look on the offensive side of the ball.

Even if it's not his ideal position, Kiko at MLB makes the position so far from the team's biggest need that it's not really worth discussing. In my opinion if you want to start putting missing pieces in you have to look on the offensive side of the ball.

I understand where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree. Last season we ranked 28th in the league vs. the run. We also ranked 28th in the league in passing yds/game - but that was 3 QB's starting throughout the season.

I agree that the offensive side needs improvement, but that improvement can automatically come just by doing nothing and having a healthy EJ play every game and progress.

Our run defense might need a lot more work than just sitting back and hoping for the progression of any single player (IMO).

So in other words, my question to everyone will be: how are we going to improve on stopping the run? The DL will essentially remain the same. The only area to upgrade, which is a huge area vs the run, is the LB corps.

We are short 1 NFL-caliber starter at that position (IMO) and we have little solid depth. Could you imagine if Kiko got injured for a couple of games? It's a critical need.

I understand where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree. Last season we ranked 28th in the league vs. the run. We also ranked 28th in the league in passing yds/game - but that was 3 QB's starting throughout the season.

I agree that the offensive side needs improvement, but that improvement can automatically come just by doing nothing and having a healthy EJ play every game and progress.

Our run defense might need a lot more work than just sitting back and hoping for the progression of any single player (IMO).

I agree that the defense needs improvement as well, but the focus might not need to be on Kiko. Certainly it's not the position of biggest need on the team. At least one person that might know a little something about MLBs agrees with me. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/01/29/brian-urlacher-kiko-alonso-everything-want-middle-linebacker/

I agree that the defense needs improvement as well, but the focus might not need to be on Kiko. Certainly it's not the position of biggest need on the team. At least one person that might know a little something about MLBs agrees with me. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/01/29/brian-urlacher-kiko-alonso-everything-want-middle-linebacker/

Awesome endorsement for sure.

I know it sounds outlandish to disagree w urlacher, IMO i just dont agree after watching Kiko play all season. I guess we'll see. Id love 110% to be wrong.

With the change in DC, do you guys view MLB as our single biggest need? I'd say it's probably up there with LG now, if not bigger. We currently don't have anyone on our roster who can play the mike on a consistent basis in the NFL. If we don't land one via the draft or FA, this defense is going to struggle big time next season (IMO).

I think the likelihood of us taking CJ Mosley at 9 is now higher than ever. Alabama lines up in the 4-3 the large majority of the time (despite them saying they're a 3-4) and Mosley is arguably the best ILB in this class.

If not Mosley, the ONLY UFA ILB that would be worth anything is Jon Beason - he actually played pretty damn well for the Giants this year. He could possibly hold the fort for 1-2 seasons.

That's it folks. If anyone can find me a mike LB that is an UFA that I missed please post.

Unless we go with a Dansby type LB who normally plays ILB on a 3-4, I don't know where else we'd possibly go.

Your thoughts on other viable options?

there is always the draft; Shane Skov, Chris Borland, Max Bullough etc.

I don't think it is our biggest need but it's right up there. There was talk of moving Kiko anyway so we are going to need a stout MLB as kiko is more of a separate and disengage guy than a banger.

there is always the draft; Shane Skov, Chris Borland, Max Bullough etc.

I don't think it is our biggest need but it's right up there. There was talk of moving Kiko anyway so we are going to need a stout MLB as kiko is more of a separate and disengage guy than a banger.

Forgot about max bullough. Really liked what I saw from him and probably available in the 3-4 round range

So in other words, my question to everyone will be: how are we going to improve on stopping the run? The DL will essentially remain the same. The only area to upgrade, which is a huge area vs the run, is the LB corps.

We are short 1 NFL-caliber starter at that position (IMO) and we have little solid depth. Could you imagine if Kiko got injured for a couple of games? It's a critical need.

While I share your concern over the 28th ranked run defense. I don't feel that LBer is the biggest need or weakest area, as I feel that run defense can be fixed with the current personnel. One player isn't going to change that defense from #28 to a top ten unit by himself.

Its a passing league right? So Pettine properly went all out for QB sacks, pressure, and rushing the passer with stopping the run a secondary issue.

Consider that 9 of 11 starting players on the current defense are either 1st or 2nd round draft picks. The #4 passing defense, #10 overall, #2 in sacks only got this team to another 6-10 record, same as Wannstedt

I have complete faith that Schwartz will fix the run game, as he cut his teeth with the 46 defense. Which stops the run and forces teams into passing situations.

Still, my take is that Bills defense was on the field way to long to be effective in some games, and were worn down by the 4th quarter. Why? Because the Bills were one of the worst teams in the NFL in sustaining drives. They were something like 31st in time of plays, 22nd in plays, and 28th in drive yards. Now granted that the lack of an experienced QB had something to do with this situation.

The meat of the problem was with the run game. Meanwhile Bills OC true to his word ran the hell outta the ball last season to the tune of most attempts in the NFL and the #2 overall team in rushing yards. Yet at the very same time they were #25 in run blocking? This tells me is was more of the Bills star RB's making those yards then the O line making holes.

All they did by running so much is they put up good stats, and lost a bunch of games in doing so.

When you look at the O line you would see that 3 of the 5 current starters graded in the red against the Patriots. Both LT & C are fine and need no upgrade. Even the RG might be alright with an upgrade at RT.

The Bills had penciled Chris Hairston to be the starting RT before he suffered a leg injury, and ultimately went on IR with an undisclosed illness.

In my view the Bills are desperate for upgrades at LG & RT, and could even use an upgrade at RG before they draft another LBer. Building up that O line to better protect the QB, and to actually control the line of scrimmage, and clock by running the ball.

If you think the depth in the LBer corps is a critical need. Think about the only backups to the O line last season were direct from the waiver wire during the season.

In summation think about this. If the Bills could score first and keep the lead it would allow them to really dominate with that current defense just the way it is. If they could start a drive and run the ball down the field by rushing the ball for 5 yards a pop, while controlling the LoS, and clock. That they would wear out the opposing defense just like what happened to the Bills last year.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Awesome endorsement for sure.

I know it sounds outlandish to disagree w urlacher, IMO i just dont agree after watching Kiko play all season. I guess we'll see. Id love 110% to be wrong.

A picture paints 1000 words. Kiko is half the size of Urlacher and the league has not exactly gotten smaller. Asking him to hold up for 16 games playing NFL MLB is ridiculous. And if we do it so we can draft a clod like Mike Evans, nobody should complain when we are 4-8 and Kiko goes down with an injury right while we are making our "playoff push". You asked for it, you got it.

Strengthening our LB corps is a must and the good part is that it may be one of the final pieces of dominant defense.

I am fine with them finding an MLB later or in FA, but hey must find one. I hope they don't skip a first round talent so they can waste their pick on Evans, but if they go OT, I wouldn't be too upset. I think a guard in 2 or 3 is a given with or without an OT in 1. 2 of the first 3 on the OL, and the other on a TE/WR is plausible but a bad idea.

He was great for about half the season and the majority of his greatness came with his INT's (which many times are strictly luck). Not saying by any stretch that he was not a great player (for a rookie), but there were also many games where he completely overpursued the run or was completely blown out of the play leading to huge plays. My concern with him in the long term lies against the run. He will definitely need to improve in that respect if he's going to be a viable MLB for 16 games.

IIRC Kiko was tied with 3 others with 4INT's. A Williams, J Byrd and Jim Leonard.

Another thought I stick to is that As the season goes on QB's try to avoid defenders with high INT's. Maybe that's just the optimist in me.

Kiko is a tailor made fit for the WLB spot in any variant of a traditional 4-3...Your Will needs to be able to fly around the field as well as "sift through trash" to get after the ball carrier on outside runs.

In the Schwartz schemes, your MLB is more of a 2 gap thumper who can cover the A gaps left open by the DTs shooting B gaps...

Meanwhile the Sam...Manny Lawson should thrive in Schwartz's Sam spot.

Awesome post...I can tell you really understand how the scheme needs to work to be successfull.

Kiko needs to put on 15 lbs. and he does over pursue at times. It's hard to say if ILB which was your original question is the biggest need as we all know we really need as well a LG, athletic TE, and big athletic WR.

two hits in the daft with an athletic TE and big WR is going to make EJ's job so much easier. I believe we'll go with a WR first. Who knows the order FO the positions after that as there are so many variables in the draft.

I just hope we spend our first four picks on these spots.

Unfortunately, I disagree. This draft class is relatively deep @ both TE and WR. I'm in on going OL in round one. Preferably trade back and grab the kid from Notre Dame, plug & play OG for many years.

IMO when your 1 or 2 players away from making one of the units on your team elite, then that makes it top priority. As many other have said, except Urlacher, Kiko is not built for MLB in the NFL. To put it bluntly, he's too damn skinny. Reference the quote above in that Kiko is the prototypical WIL and will be a stand out there.

Forgot about max bullough. Really liked what I saw from him and probably available in the 3-4 round range

Unfortunately, for him, his stock might take a hit due to the suspension right b4 the Rose Bowl...still no info on what team rule he violated, but a must of been something too damning to ignore given that he's a legacy and a big part of that D...maybe good for us if he slips into the 5th, maybe 6th rd...

While I share your concern over the 28th ranked run defense. I don't feel that LBer is the biggest need or weakest area, as I feel that run defense can be fixed with the current personnel. One player isn't going to change that defense from #28 to a top ten unit by himself.

You have to consider the implications that one player will have on the rest of the unit. A true MIKE enables Kiko to play Will and all of a sudden there is drastic improvement. Couple that with Schwartz's scheme and that one player might, in fact, take a bottom of the barrel D to a top 10...right?

Guys, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Kiko, or any of your thoughts and opinions...it's just the simple fact of the matter is our D is 1, maybe 2 players away from being bad a$$. On the flip side, E.J. will need some more weapons and an upgrade in protection to get our O on par with the D. In all likelyhood, this will take another couple years unless we sell out and go all O in the first 4 rounds of the draft, which may cut the timeframe down a bit.

A picture paints 1000 words. Kiko is half the size of Urlacher and the league has not exactly gotten smaller.

The Legend continues...

Despite being only 3'2" and 129 lbs., Kiko Alonso managed to place 4th in the league in tackles. Plus he can't get high enough to hit a ballcarrier in the head, so he avoids personal fouls too!

I think either Kiko is our weakside, or MLB. I'm ok with Lawson as our strong side LB. I think drafting a weak/middle linebacker in the 2nd round would be a good move.

I'd much prefer us get a playmaker TE or WR in the first round, someone EJ can trust to be "always open".

LG is a need, but I think a playmaker would have a bigger net positive effect, than a LG would. Maybe we can find a guard in free agency? If not, hope a decent one is in the third?

Its a passing league right? So Pettine properly went all out for QB sacks, pressure, and rushing the passer with stopping the run a secondary issue.

Consider that 9 of 11 starting players on the current defense are either 1st or 2nd round draft picks. The #4 passing defense, #10 overall, #2 in sacks only got this team to another 6-10 record, same as Wannstedt

I have complete faith that Schwartz will fix the run game, as he cut his teeth with the 46 defense. Which stops the run and forces teams into passing situations.

Still, my take is that Bills defense was on the field way to long to be effective in some games, and were worn down by the 4th quarter. Why? Because the Bills were one of the worst teams in the NFL in sustaining drives. They were something like 31st in time of plays, 22nd in plays, and 28th in drive yards. Now granted that the lack of an experienced QB had something to do with this situation.

The meat of the problem was with the run game. Meanwhile Bills OC true to his word ran the hell outta the ball last season to the tune of most attempts in the NFL and the #2 overall team in rushing yards. Yet at the very same time they were #25 in run blocking? This tells me is was more of the Bills star RB's making those yards then the O line making holes.

All they did by running so much is they put up good stats, and lost a bunch of games in doing so.

When you look at the O line you would see that 3 of the 5 current starters graded in the red against the Patriots. Both LT & C are fine and need no upgrade. Even the RG might be alright with an upgrade at RT.

The Bills had penciled Chris Hairston to be the starting RT before he suffered a leg injury, and ultimately went on IR with an undisclosed illness.

In my view the Bills are desperate for upgrades at LG & RT, and could even use an upgrade at RG before they draft another LBer. Building up that O line to better protect the QB, and to actually control the line of scrimmage, and clock by running the ball.

If you think the depth in the LBer corps is a critical need. Think about the only backups to the O line last season were direct from the waiver wire during the season.

In summation think about this. If the Bills could score first and keep the lead it would allow them to really dominate with that current defense just the way it is. If they could start a drive and run the ball down the field by rushing the ball for 5 yards a pop, while controlling the LoS, and clock. That they would wear out the opposing defense just like what happened to the Bills last year.

Good post man.

A concern (slight) that I have is that we've had countless D-coordinators come through here over the last few years and there has been a constant: our run Defense has been atrocious with every single one. So why would Schwartz be different?

In 2013, we were 28th vs. the run under Pettine.

In 2012, we were 31st vs. the run under Wanny.

In 2011, we were 28th vs. the run under Edwards.

All three of those lines had KW and Dareus in the middle as will the 2014 line. 2012 and 2013 had KW, Dareus, and MW on the line as will the 2014 line.

Common theme during those three years: horrible LB's.

2011 LB's: Barnett (toward end of his career); Moats (not an NFL starter); A. Davis (end of his career); Kelsay (not even a real LB); S. Johnson (not a real LB); Sheppard (not an NFL starter). That's a HORRIBLE LB corps.

2012 LB's: Barnett (end of his career); Bradham (not an NFL starter); Sheppard (not an NFL starter); Morrison (no); C. White (no). Once again, a horrible LB corps.

2013 LB's: Kiko (great rookie year); Lawson (solid NFL starter); Bradham (not an NFL starter); Moats (not an NFL starter); Powell (not an NFL starter); Hughes (strictly a pass rusher/situational player)

2013 was probably our best year in terms of talent at the LB spot b/c we actually fielded 2 NFL caliber LB's on the field and Hughes was a beast when asked to pass rush. That being said, Kiko's play definitely tailed off towards the last quarter of the season (which is expected from a rookie).

We're still short 1 legit starter on that LB unit, IMO. Other than maybe LG, I can't think of any other position on our team where the same can be said. Sure, we could use another WR, but we don't need one with SJ and Wooods. We'll see what happens with Chandler at TE. If he returns, we don't need a TE.

I'm looking to build a well-rounded team. It was fabulous that we were beasts at rushing the passer, and if I had to choose, I'd rather be great at rushing the passer than stopping the run in this league. But finishing in the bottom 5 of any category is unacceptable. There will be games where Mario, hughes, and KW won't be able to get to the QB and we can't afford to have a team gash us in both the run and the pass.

I think either Kiko is our weakside, or MLB. I'm ok with Lawson as our strong side LB. I think drafting a weak/middle linebacker in the 2nd round would be a good move.

I'd much prefer us get a playmaker TE or WR in the first round, someone EJ can trust to be "always open".

LG is a need, but I think a playmaker would have a bigger net positive effect, than a LG would. Maybe we can find a guard in free agency? If not, hope a decent one is in the third?

Agreed.

A picture paints 1000 words. Kiko is half the size of Urlacher and the league has not exactly gotten smaller. Asking him to hold up for 16 games playing NFL MLB is ridiculous. And if we do it so we can draft a clod like Mike Evans, nobody should complain when we are 4-8 and Kiko goes down with an injury right while we are making our "playoff push". You asked for it, you got it.

Strengthening our LB corps is a must and the good part is that it may be one of the final pieces of dominant defense.

I am fine with them finding an MLB later or in FA, but hey must find one. I hope they don't skip a first round talent so they can waste their pick on Evans, but if they go OT, I wouldn't be too upset. I think a guard in 2 or 3 is a given with or without an OT in 1. 2 of the first 3 on the OL, and the other on a TE/WR is plausible but a bad idea.

Yup, I know they may be listed similarly, but just LOOKING at Kiko and Urlacher, you see the size difference. Urlacher is much bigger.

You nailed it on Kiko. I think this is where he fits best in the 4-3 which is the defense they will be in less than half of the time. The defense they will be in most of the time is the nickel where he can still excel at one of the two LB spots.