Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

They'll go in house, they said. There's no way we'll change defensive scheme for the 4th time in 4 years, they said.

Bye bye Byrdy, complained about switching schemes and now this? Gone.

Who exactly are you talking about? The team was clear that they were looking outside.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been kind of out of the loop all day...any word on which Bills staff that Pettin is taking to Cleveland with him? I know most didn't want Donnie Henderson as DC, but I sure hope he stays on our staff...did a great job with the secondary, and the players seem to love playing for him...

O'Neil and Weaver have been mentioned. Also looks like he's going to hire Driesbach (which would dash the theory that Marrone had nothing to do with firing Chuck).

I'm not sure if he's a good coach or not, but I will take Stafford like production from Manuel

Got to admit, I haven't seen a ton of Lions games over the last few years, but he constant complaint I have heard about Stafford (and it was very loud this year) was that he is lazy, and that his mechanics, and inability to correct them, are what have held him back from being an elite QB...and kept the Lions out of the playoffs. At the very least though, everyone seems to think EJ is "very coachable".... just a curious hire, and I am little more leery of this than I am of the Schwartz hire...a guy doesn't normally (ignoring Hank Bullough) get a head coaching job in the NFL unless he has something going for himself.

They changed the scheme last year for the third time in three years...didn't work out too bad. I wouldn't be so quick to say goodbye to Byrd...

Byrd has complained. Defensive players generally don't like changing schemes every year.

I think you're wrong.

Were they? K-9 assured me that they would stay in house, and I didn't hear anything else since the Pettine loss.

You're wrong man. They had an outside guy in mind and if they didn't get him, they would be staying in house. Their outside guy was Schwartz. They had a plan A and B in place and acted quickly. Kudos to management.

Byrd has complained. Defensive players generally don't like changing schemes every year.

I think you're wrong.

1) I don't think this will be as drastic a change as you might think...and I also think our defense next year may be even better. 2) There is no doubting Byrd's dissatisfaction over the last year; however, I also think the Bills realize Byrd deserves to be paid in a range commensurate with his ability. I wouldn't be surprised to see a deal worked out.

I hope I am not wrong...

Schwartz's influence doesn't bode well for the penalty issues on this team, specifically the defense where it was the major issue with the team.

I have very mixed feelings on this hire.

The penalties arent an issue if we can stop the run. I want a defense that plays on the edge and sometimes gets penalties.

Were they? K-9 assured me that they would stay in house, and I didn't hear anything else since the Pettine loss.

I've got my ears to the ground and several are as surprised by this as I am. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

GO BILLS!!!