DC candidates

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills said they have a plan in place.....this plan is going to suck is my guess.

That would be your guess.

I would also think that the recent events that transpired would make Buffalo a great destination spot for a young potential DC candidate after Marrone hired away a guy from a rival team and exactly one year later, coaching the Bills players, that guy gets a HC job in the NFL.

I agree with that. This job will be in demand. What is so discouraging about the situation is the high probability that any new DC will want to bring in a new system and that could seriously damper the progress that has been made.

I'd go with Wade Phillips. He's a proven DC who has made every team he's gone to, as a DC, better.

We don't have 3-4 personnel. Our LB corp is thin already. Wade would = massive change. I think that is wrong direction.

I agree with that. This job will be in demand. What is so discouraging about the situation is the high probability that any new DC will want to bring in a new system and that could seriously damper the progress that has been made.

The Bills have stated that they have a plan in place. Regardless of whether the job is held in high demand or not, they will go with their plan because they probably have already communicated it to the incoming DC.

It is hard to envision a circumstance where we hire a well regarded, well known NFL DC. That would just make Greggo Marrone more paranoid than he already seems. We will hire someone that has never been on anyone's NFL HC radar. This was true of Pettine and even though he proved to be a good coach, he got that job due to the odd situation in Cleveland. We could end up with a good one like Pettine if we are lucky, or someone crappy like all the other choices Greggo Marrone made, but it will be someone relatively unknown IMO.

We don't have 3-4 personnel. Our LB corp is thin already. Wade would = massive change. I think that is wrong direction.

There is no such thing as a pure 3-4 or 4-3 anymore. The Bills ran a hybrid with alignment depending on situation. It was primarily a 3-4 but with many variations. Wade ran the same scheme in Houston. It is all in the details.

We already run a 3-4... wade would equal little change. Our roster would work very well with a wade phillips D. Look up any article on phillips D and it is almost tailor fitted for our team.

Edited by kr632

Take your pick - all these guys are available, and probably a few more I can't think of:

1. Donnie Henderson - ran the Lions' defense in 2006 and the Jets' in 2004 and 2005
  2. Wade Phillips - Excellent DC - have all bridges between him & Bflo been burned?
  3. Mike Singletary - Former Def Asst in Baltimore, HC for 49ers, HOF LB & student of the 46 Defense
  4. Jim Schwartz - Former Titans DC & Lions HC
  5. Greg Schiano - Former BC & Bucs HC
  6. Steve Spagnuolo - Former Giants Def Coordinator & Rams HC
  7. Eric Mangini - 49ers consultant & former Jets/Browns HC & Def Coordinator for Pats
  8. Jim Tomsula - 49ers defensive line coach
  9. Rocky Seto - Seattle Seahawks passing-game coordinator
  10. Keith Butler - Pittsburgh Steelers linebackers coach
  11. Brendan Daly - Minnesota Vikings defensive line coach
  12. Pepper Johnson - Pat's Linebackers coach

This will be interesting to see whom Doug Whaley ultimately selects.

I just hope he takes no advice from Buddy Nix on the issue :lol:

Take your pick - all these guys are available, and probably a few more I can't think of:

1. Donnie Henderson - ran the Lions' defense in 2006 and the Jets' in 2004 and 2005

2. Wade Phillips - Excellent DC - have all bridges between him & Bflo been burned?

3. Mike Singletary - Former Def Asst in Baltimore, HC for 49ers, HOF LB & student of the 46 Defense

7. Eric Mangini - 49ers consultant & former Jets/Browns HC & Def Coordinator for Pats

Those three former HC's would suffice. Will the Bills be willing to pay them what they want? err didn't spags suck with the Saints? Edited by FeartheLosing

The Bills have stated that they have a plan in place. Regardless of whether the job is held in high demand or not, they will go with their plan because they probably have already communicated it to the incoming DC.

It is hard to envision a circumstance where we hire a well regarded, well known NFL DC. That would just make Greggo Marrone more paranoid than he already seems. We will hire someone that has never been on anyone's NFL HC radar. This was true of Pettine and even though he proved to be a good coach, he got that job due to the odd situation in Cleveland. We could end up with a good one like Pettine if we are lucky, or someone crappy like all the other choices Greggo Marrone made, but it will be someone relatively unknown IMO.

You clearly do not like Marrone. That's OK but I will point out that he did not luck into Pettine - he targeted him and convinced him to come here. That's was obviously a very good hire, although Pettine was not a " well regarded, well known NFL DC". In fact, many people thought he was just an extension of sexy Rexy.

For my money, well regarded and well known is much less important than philosophy, adaptability, and defensive knowledge. The Bills do not need to blow up their system for a big name. They need to build on what they have without starting over. While you, and some others, have written off Marrone and assume all his choices are failures, (unless he is lucky) I am more focused on the big picture and do not share that opinion of Marrone or his staff.

You clearly do not like Marrone. That's OK but I will point out that he did not luck into Pettine - he targeted him and convinced him to come here. That's was obviously a very good hire, although Pettine was not a " well regarded, well known NFL DC". In fact, many people thought he was just an extension of sexy Rexy.

For my money, well regarded and well known is much less important than philosophy, adaptability, and defensive knowledge. The Bills do not need to blow up their system for a big name. They need to build on what they have without starting over. While you, and some others, have written off Marrone and assume all his choices are failures, (unless he is lucky) I am more focused on the big picture and do not share that opinion of Marrone or his staff.

Thank you, I agree completely with your post. I was very impressed with what Pettine had to say about Marrone in thanking him for the opportunity he now has. It is obvious that Pettine wasn't sneaking around to his Cleveland interviews without the full support of Marrone. Doug obviously helped tremendously in prepping Pettine to give him the best chance to land the Cleveland job. Perhaps it was just our HC fulfilling what he may have promised Pettine when he brought him over, but Pettine was in the right place at the right time.

I do think it is a big loss for the Bills, but not an insurmountable one. They should (again) have a very good defense.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

I will give Greggo Marrone credit for the choice of Pettine. He deserves the credit and also the credit for the team playing hard in every game with the exception of PGH and TB. After that....not so much.

My point is that it seems to me that "no-name" is the top priority. I am fine with a no-name that produces but don't want to see well known coaches eliminated because they are well known. Greggo Marrone should clearly be on thin ice as our head coach and probably doesn't want someone breathing down his neck whether it is real or perceived. It is not all his fault but it does put us in a tight spot.

Thank you, I agree completely with your post. I was very impressed with what Pettine had to say about Marrone in thanking him for the opportunity he now has. It is obvious that Pettine wasn't sneaking around to his Cleveland interviews without the full support of Marrone. Doug obviously helped tremendously in prepping Pettine to give him the best chance to land the Cleveland job. Perhaps it was just our HC fulfilling what he may have promised Pettine when he brought him over, but Pettine was in the right place at the right time.

I do think it is a big loss for the Bills, but not an insurmountable one. They should (again) have a very good defense.

Greggo Marrone may be a decent guy off the field and outside of interviews and that is good but Pettine, when thanking him, said he learned about non-football related topics from Greggo Marrone. He even stopped himself to be clear about that. Personally I'd prefer a HC that had some actual football knowledge.

I will give Greggo Marrone credit for the choice of Pettine. He deserves the credit and also the credit for the team playing hard in every game with the exception of PGH and TB. After that....not so much.

My point is that it seems to me that "no-name" is the top priority. I am fine with a no-name that produces but don't want to see well known coaches eliminated because they are well known. Greggo Marrone should clearly be on thin ice as our head coach and probably doesn't want someone breathing down his neck whether it is real or perceived. It is not all his fault but it does put us in a tight spot.

Greggo Marrone may be a decent guy off the field and outside of interviews and that is good but Pettine, when thanking him, said he learned about non-football related topics from Greggo Marrone. He even stopped himself to be clear about that. Personally I'd prefer a HC that had some actual football knowledge.

What? Maybe he fancies himself as more knowledgeable? Whatever, all these guys have an ego. No wonder he and Rex clashed.

If I were in Marrone's position, I'd be hiring the most qualified candidate regardless of "perceived" threat, because without success he will be gone I. 1-2 years

It appears that Marrone likes the young up & comer's on his staff (especially with the pickup of Tampa's DB coach) with that being said don't be surprise with Jim O'Neil replacing Pettine as our next DC.

Picking from this list of candidates ,I'd take Spags, Schwartzs, Henderson or Johnson.