Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

Agreed, I recall almost no one being excited when Chan was finally hired. We only warmed up to him when he jettisoned Trent and his team began to show some offensive excitement.

This is Pettine’s first ever NFL head coaching interview (and soon to be 2nd), so it makes sense to go through it as a learning process, no matter what the deal is with the team in question.

But Pettine also strikes me as the type of guy that would (eventually) fit in very well in a town like Cleveland, after the initial “we didn’t get the hot candidate” nonsense wore off. His father was a legendary coach in his own right, as I understand. I liked how he came across on Hard Knocks while with the Jets, and I was quite happy to see Marrone recruit him here as soon as he was hired. The Jets OWNED the Bills while he was their DC.

And I am not in the “but we sucked vs. the run” crowd … I think what he got out of our existing defensive talent plus his scheme was borderline incredible. A top ten D is a top ten D, and I think that is all he has ever produced in the NFL.

Great for a coordinator... but can he be a HC? Different skill set and I have no idea. I didn't see him on Hard Knocks. But he never came up as a HC candidate before, which is telling.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My perspective only living amongst Browns "fans," It is much worse in Cleveland than it is in Buffalo. Based on the reaction I have heard and seen, it would be very ugly if they went through with it. Again, it could be remedied next season if they win. But they have zero margin of error with the fans. They think it is another kick in the groin to fire a HC after one year - and the only justification was they better have someone great in their back pocket to replace him with. Well, they didn't.

That is exactly my perspective, also from being in NE Ohio.

lol at first I thought the video was supposed to be a knock on Wade's age and then I realized it was for Bess. It could be a combination of both.

: I wonder if part of Pettine's 2nd interview will involve him identifying Browns players based on their mugshots

Well, he isn't wearing a headset.

r8p.gif

It's not being that good discrimination. He's Marty Shottenheimer without the success.

I understand what you are trying to get at.......but comparing Wade to Schottenheimer is a big insult to Marty.

At the risk of irritating the Wade fans on here, Wade is an excellent DC but a lousy HC at the NFL level.

He and Marty aren't at all alike. Wade runs a sloppy, undisciplined ship as a HC. His laid-back style only works to a degree with teams that have A LOT of talent and veteran leadership.

If you have a young team he will get the worst out of it and his teams tend to steadily get worse the further they get away from a prior detail oriented system like Denver had with Reeves and Dallas had with Parcells.

The man just never understood the attention to detail required of a successful NFL HC.

Marty, on the other hand was a guy who could turn around and build a young team. He was thorough and relentless. His conservative style no doubt got him beaten earlier in the playoffs than he should have been, but he consistently took teams to the playoffs that Wade wouldn't have been able to and was in another league than Wade as a HC.

I just hope Pettine has taught the position coaches enough so that we don't lose the scheme if he leaves. Having a 3rd defensive scheme in 3 years (or is it 4 in 4?) is just stupid.

Yes and I think it would impact the Byrd situation as well.

Jay Glazer@JayGlazer 2m

Quinn also high on their list and he's showing way more interest than Gase. Hearing Pettine's interview went well too

I just hope Pettine has taught the position coaches enough so that we don't lose the scheme if he leaves. Having a 3rd defensive scheme in 3 years (or is it 4 in 4?) is just stupid.

It would be 4 in 4, and it would be our 5th Defensive Coordinator in 6 years (Fewell, Edwardsx2, Wanny, Pettine, New Guy)

Yes and I think it would impact the Byrd situation as well.

For sure. See above. I feel like that is why Byrd wanted out last year, and that Pettine was our best chance in convincing him to stay. If Pettine leaves and it means a new DC, I'd leave too if I were Byrd.

I hate counting my Chicken Littles before the eggs have hatched, but Pettine leaving would be a compete disaster for this franchise.

Marty, on the other hand was a guy who could turn around and build a young team. He was thorough and relentless. His conservative style no doubt got him beaten earlier in the playoffs than he should have been, but he consistently took teams to the playoffs that Wade wouldn't have been able to and was in another league than Wade as a HC.

Lack of playoff success nothwithstanding, I also thought Marty was an excellent HC, especially as a motivator. He got fired by AJ after going 14-2, and it is still quite unbelievable to me.

Those guys will likely get promoted and/or go with him. O'Neil was the first guy he brought, and would certainly seem to be in line for a DC job in Cle.

I for one, trully liked Wade... I wish him nothing but the best wherever he lands... And I agree, he got shafted by Ralph and company!!!

Really, how? And was that before or after Wade refused a directive by his superior?

GO BILLS!!!

They already said they aren't signing 2 of the 5 Pro bowlers FWIW. And Joe Thomas was voted to the PB this year on name only. What a joke. He had a really bad year.

Nothing of the sort has been said or determined by the Browns. I do not expect them to re-sign Mack, but expect Ward to be signed. Still, nobody in the organization has publicly said they won't.

Thomas may have had a slightly off year for him, but he was still an exceptional LT by general standards.

Incidentally, word is that the field in Cleveland has narrowed to 3 including Pettine. Gase and Quinn being the others.

Edited by BarleyNY

Nothing of the sort has been said or determined by the Browns. I do not expect them to re-sign Mack, but expect Ward to be signed. Still, nobody in the organization has publicly said they won't.

Thomas may have had a slightly off year for him, but he was still an exceptional LT by general standards.

Incidentally, word is that the field in Cleveland has narrowed to 3 including Pettine. Gase and Quinn being the others.

Yikes

Pettine's departure would set back Bills

The pickings are slim for the Cleveland Browns. Since firing Rob Chudzinski, the Browns have run through several head coaching candidates and have yet to make a hire.

Their next interview will be with Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, and given the way Cleveland's coaching search has unfolded, it would hardly be a shock if Pettine soon becomes the favorite for the position.

That makes Pettine's possible departure from Buffalo a hypothetical worth exploring. What would it mean to the Bills?