Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't all the ones who have withdrawn their names on teams that are likely to be good next year, and they'll have another opportunity? Pettine is on a 6-10 team, who aren't likely to anytime soon be a team where other teams are eager to raid their coaches.

No. Been McAdoo went to the NYG to be OC. He withdrew his name from the Browns HC search after interviewing with them. He was a QB coach.

To the second bolded... you don't know that, and neither does he.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Even at 48 pages, this thread isn't even close to rivaling the classic Mario Williams or George Seifert threads.

The hysteria (that I admit gladly partaking in) around Mario Williams was a lot of fun. George hanging out at the airport (or is he?) was hilarious.

This Pettine event is just missing something.

Does anyone know if one of our coaches holds the assistant HC title? If not, I think Pettine is deserving

Even at 48 pages, this thread isn't even close to rivaling the classic Mario Williams or George Seifert threads.

The hysteria (that I admit gladly partaking in) around Mario Williams was a lot of fun. George hanging out at the airport (or is he?) was hilarious.

Don't forget the flight tracking!

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

even at 48 pages, its a month long and staying pretty well organized. mario was 100s in a matter of days.

Lot's of bad takes in this thread.

Just let it go. Teams want guys like Pettine who have not only proven themselves in the NFL but who have grown up around coaching. Belichick, the Harbaugh's, Gruden etc.. Pettine is ready and he should take it if given a chance.

Of course Pettine deserves his shot and I sincerely hope he gets it. I wish him all the luck in the world. I said that numerous times. Not sure what it is I should "just let go."

My point is that the way Cleveland is conducting their search is ridiculous as evidenced by the sheer number of candidates that have eschewed the better opportunity and removed themselves from consideration. Pettine wouldn't even have the opportunity if Cleveland's first several choices said yes like he did.

GO BILLS!!!

OK, we now have one vote to fire Pettine.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. We should fire him before he had the chance to quit. "You can't quit! Because you're fired!"

GO BILLS!!!

what sucks about this whole thing is there is clearly no way the man who took our 6-10 defense to 6-10 the following year can ever be replaced. it's like we're right back where we started. very frustrating.

:nana: Pettine was a giant improvement though but let's be honest, this defense still had it's flaws. Run defense was very spotty and they couldn't keep the leads against the Pats, Falcons, and Browns. This defense is loaded with 1st and 2nd rounders. It should be good. If MP does get the job, IMO, it would be a very good spot for up and coming DC to look really good.

what sucks about this whole thing is there is clearly no way the man who took our 6-10 defense to 6-10 the following year can ever be replaced. it's like we're right back where we started. very frustrating.

we had a 9-7 defense with a 3-13 offense.

You are right. There is no upside to this thread-- we are wishing for the status quo.

:nana: Pettine was a giant improvement though but let's be honest, this defense still had it's flaws. Run defense was very spotty and they couldn't keep the leads against the Pats, Falcons, and Browns. This defense is loaded with 1st and 2nd rounders. It should be good. If MP does get the job, IMO, it would be a very good spot for up and coming DC to look really good.

Let's keep telling ourselves that --- with 4 Pro Bowlers and a potential 5th (Kiko) -- led league in sacks, 2nd in INT's, Top 5 pass defense --- issues were around contain / cut backs / over pursuit --- yielding big plays --- reality: defense was the ONLY bright spot on the 6-10 Marrone team ---- lose Pettine and start planning for Top 3 pick in 2015 draft --- Mariota, Hundley, Hackenberg, Petty etc. etc. ---- another rinse/repeat and rebuild with a new HC --- lose Pettine this year and Marrone will be on proverbial hot seat next year when this team goes 3-13

It's a good sign (for us) that they are still interviewing... I want another year with Pettine so hopefully one of our defensive coaches that stays can keep his system (if it proves successful).

My thoughts exactly. One more year with Pettine enables us to carry over his/Rex Ryan's system a bit more seamlessly. And to be honest, while I have a lot of respect for Pettine's coaching abilities, it's really the system that is most important to keep in my opinion.

That would be awesome. And not implausible-- Sherman comes to the defense of Quinn:

"Pettine is a medicore defensive coach; and when you go up against a guy like Quinn, all you're going to get are a bunch of false twitter rumors. Pettine: don't you open your mouth, or Quinn is going to shut it for you real quick."

:D

Let's keep telling ourselves that --- with 4 Pro Bowlers and a potential 5th (Kiko) -- led league in sacks, 2nd in INT's, Top 5 pass defense --- issues were around contain / cut backs / over pursuit --- yielding big plays --- reality: defense was the ONLY bright spot on the 6-10 Marrone team ---- lose Pettine and start planning for Top 3 pick in 2015 draft --- Mariota, Hundley, Hackenberg, Petty etc. etc. ---- another rinse/repeat and rebuild with a new HC --- lose Pettine this year and Marrone will be on proverbial hot seat next year when this team goes 3-13

So you've decided to skip the period altogether I see. Bold move, and I kind of like it.

With an amazing defense. The kind I wish we had.

I could be wrong about this, but from what I have read, a lot of our defensive success is from scheme whereas a lot of Seattle's success is due to players. That is, Seattle runs a very predictable defensive scheme--but has the players to run it really well (one-gap, cover 3; drop the corners in man-to-man on short routes; not a lot of surprises).

I don't know if that is entirely true, and if it's true, whether that necessarily means that Pettine is a better coach than Quinn. But something to chew on when comparing the two guys.