Man kills fellow moviegoer for texting during movie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been a few days since this and it still is a question in my head what the hell really happened? We know the results. We know the story. But what happened? There can't simply only be the explanation of an old ex cop went off.

And I am glad I don't watch the news ed/op shows because I fear this is either getting too much attention or not enough.

Its been a few days since this and it still is a question in my head what the hell really happened? We know the results. We know the story. But what happened? There can't simply only be the explanation of an old ex cop went off.

And I am glad I don't watch the news ed/op shows because I fear this is either getting too much attention or not enough.

All BEFORE the movie? Supposedly, the ex-cop went out to tell an usher or go to the counter? Yet, the usher didn't come back and tell the now dead dude to cease and desist. Was the old guy getting his weapon? When he came back, an argument ensued and supposedly younger dude threw popcorn @ old dude. Old dude pulled out said weapon, wife of young dude put her hand up to block shot... He shot through her hand and killed the guy.

Crazy if this is true? ??

If we ban popcorn, only the criminals will have popcorn! ;-)

Crazy story. I can relate. I check my phone during movies from time to time in case I get texts from my daughter's babysitter.

Sounds like two macho guys, and one of them should have taken the high road.

The shocking thing is he is a trained professional! Even know he was retired for the last 21 years... He left @ 50. Huh? They said he was a captain and was instrumental in implenting Tampa's tactical response team... Huh? WOW, 20 years later and he gets popcorn thrown @ him and this is what he regressed to? Huh? A trained professional. Is the Tampa police saying everything why he went out as a Captain @ 50? I guess we will find out. Maybe he's got Alzheimer's?

Good point.

Not to offend anyone, but I know some law enforcement guys just have a tough guy/I am the boss kind of attitude. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy had the same attitude (probably combined with being an old crumedgeon).

But the victim could probably have avoided this too. You just don't know who is crazy and who isn't. If some old guy yelled at me for texting, I would apologize, and stop or take it in the hallway. You just never know who you're dealing with.

Sure, you don't throw popcorn on someone... But it was before the movie and the old guy and his battleaxe were being over officious jerks. You don't respond to a popcorning w/guns a blazing... Maybe Jujubes, but a gun. Really, takes two to tango, but totally wrong response. Put the guy in prison till he dies and transfer his pension to the widow and orphan.... Again, he is a trained professional?

they'd lose a crapload of money...you'd pay for the movie and invite 5 friends over...unless you are suggesting they sell the movie to you for $50 and you can invite anyone you want....ala payper view fights etc...

I mean a movie that is out in theaters right now

And you would pay per movie.

Just like buying a ticket online. You would pick a movie, pay the fee and get sent a link to a site that would stream the movie.

Sounds like two macho guys, and one of them should have taken the high road.

But the victim could probably have avoided this too. You just don't know who is crazy and who isn't. If some old guy yelled at me for texting, I would apologize, and stop or take it in the hallway. You just never know who you're dealing with.

JR for the win.

No, telling the old guy to pound sand and/or throwing popcorn or whatever shouldn't cause someone to be killed, but it did, and that's the point. There are lots of pissed off and crazy people out there. Getting into conflicts at the movies, or the Bills game, or on the highway is a really stupid idea in this day and age. It's incredibly tragic to have someone -- especially someone with little kids -- to get killed like this, but if you are that guy and you refuse to take any responsibility for defusing the situation, than you are signing up for the risk that comes with it. In this case, it was a fatal mistake, and his family will now have to live with that.

Edited by KD in CT

JR for the win.

No, telling the old guy to pound sand and/or throwing popcorn or whatever shouldn't cause someone to be killed, but it did, and that's the point. There are lots of pissed off and crazy people out there. Getting into conflicts at the movies, or the Bills game, or on the highway is a really stupid idea in this day and age. It's incredibly tragic to have someone -- especially someone with little kids -- to get killed like this, but if you are that guy and you refuse to take any responsibility for defusing the situation, than you are signing up for the risk that comes with it. In this case, it was a fatal mistake, and his family will now have to live with that.

I totally agree KD! But that is water under the bridge, can't unring a bell. Dude should have had a little better self-preservation. Now, the only thing is for the living and the system to nail this nut criminally and monetarily!

I totally agree KD! But that is water under the bridge, can't unring a bell. Dude should have had a little better self-preservation. Now, the only thing is for the living and the system to nail this nut criminally and monetarily!

No doubt about that.

This is what is wrong with society. You stop because you need to be aware of your surrounding. It's not all about you. "Hey !@#$stick, the elevator doors are open. Stop looking at your !@#$ing phone and get in!!" You don't stop doing it because the guy yelling at you may shoot your ass.

This is what is wrong with society. You stop because you need to be aware of your surrounding. It's not all about you. "Hey !@#$stick, the elevator doors are open. Stop looking at your !@#$ing phone and get in!!" You don't stop doing it because the guy yelling at you may shoot your ass.

I agree w/you too Chef! Situational awareness. The guy killed and his wife, just moved to FLA from Illinois. That probably explains it! :-)

Consideration of others (CO2) needs to be retaught. Both these guys in FLA failed miserably. Shooter for being bothered BEFORE the movie started, and victim not having enough sense to diffuse the situation... Then he throws popcorn on top of it all! What were the wives doing? Seems the younger gal was into the fray too, she got shot right through the hand. Maybe that is why he fired? Did she reach for the weapon?

Wow... Totally phu*ked up!

Sure, you don't throw popcorn on someone... But it was before the movie and the old guy and his battleaxe were being over officious jerks. You don't respond to a popcorning w/guns a blazing... Maybe Jujubes, but a gun. Really, takes two to tango, but totally wrong response. Put the guy in prison till he dies and transfer his pension to the widow and orphan.... Again, he is a trained professional?

Far too many people in that particular walk of life don't think the law applies to them. Whenever I think about police, I'm reminded of the story from Illinois that had a cop driving in excess of 120MPH on the freeway, losing control, and killing two young girls. I believe he was TEXTING at the same time. That wasn't the first time that particular officer had done some really reckless stuff but he kept his job until he actually killed somebody.

It seems a number of them never take the badge off, even in retirement. Military people have similar problems adapting to civilian life, especially the officers. They're used to people doing what they tell them to do based on nothing more than their rank/position. The civilian world is a rude awakening.

I rarely go to any event that has a large number of people. There are simply too many folks who just don't know how to act and it wears on me to have to deal with them in any way whatsover. I'm tired of getting bumped into without any apology, having to deal with incredibly poorly behaved children, the complete lack of etiquette/social graces, people who drink entirely too much in a public setting, etc.

This...is just starting to get unnerving. Entirely different from many cases we've heard about that SYG was paraded about - there is no need for anyone to be dead. We are going to see a guy get off because he had popcorn thrown at him and an altercation occurred.

All BEFORE the movie? Supposedly, the ex-cop went out to tell an usher or go to the counter? Yet, the usher didn't come back and tell the now dead dude to cease and desist. Was the old guy getting his weapon? When he came back, an argument ensued and supposedly younger dude threw popcorn @ old dude. Old dude pulled out said weapon, wife of young dude put her hand up to block shot... He shot through her hand and killed the guy.

Crazy if this is true? ??

If we ban popcorn, only the criminals will have popcorn! ;-)

This is what I want to know.

Apparently the old guy went back out to the lobby to complain about the guy texting.

So the theatre staff did what? Nothing? Why didn't a manager from the theatre come back with the old guy and try to resolve this problem?

The people at the theatre should not be able to walk away from this. They could have possibly stopped this from happening.

This is what I want to know.

Apparently the old guy went back out to the lobby to complain about the guy texting.

So the theatre staff did what? Nothing? Why didn't a manager from the theatre come back with the old guy and try to resolve this problem?

The people at the theatre should not be able to walk away from this. They could have possibly stopped this from happening.

Of course they can walk away from this. Just because some high school kids working the popcorn stand and sweeping up the theaters didn't stop two adults from getting into an altercation and one of them pulling out a gun you want to try and blame them?

The fault lies in one man - the shooter. Altercations happen every single day without some idiot pulling out a gun. Hell, I'd go a step farther and say that even if it was physical there is no reason to pull out a weapon. Pushing, or even punching somebody shouldn't be a death sentence. Unless your life is on the line - and I can pretty safely say the shooter's life wasn't - there is no reason to pull out a weapon. The whole "I was defending myself" line is hilarious.

Of course they can walk away from this. Just because some high school kids working the popcorn stand and sweeping up the theaters didn't stop two adults from getting into an altercation and one of them pulling out a gun you want to try and blame them?

The fault lies in one man - the shooter. Altercations happen every single day without some idiot pulling out a gun. Hell, I'd go a step farther and say that even if it was physical there is no reason to pull out a weapon. Pushing, or even punching somebody shouldn't be a death sentence. Unless your life is on the line - and I can pretty safely say the shooter's life wasn't - there is no reason to pull out a weapon. The whole "I was defending myself" line is hilarious.

Bingo.